The good, the bad, the season is over.

RaidersAreOne

From what i've seen lately, Carr's biggest issue is throwing it to a predetermined target no matter what. If the offense calls for him to dropback and throw it quickly, the pre snap reads should tell him where to go. But i've seen him throw it into good coverage way too many times. So either the D are disguising their coverage very well or he fails at reading what's coming.

IIt’s all the OCs fault. He’s trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

This type of offense the teams is running (the underneath ball control) doesn’t suit the Raiders personnel.
The WRs are not sure handed enough, they are deep threats.
One drop pass ruins the whole drive.
The Raiders have an zone RB and a power O-line. That’s the reason for the inconsistency in the running game. 

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster.  I agree with many of the aforementioned issues that Carr has been having.  It's really disappointing since he looked so good last year.  In addition to all of this, I think the ghosts of last year's injury and the week 4 back injury are still affecting him physically and mentally.  I think a big reason we don't take many shots downfield (besides Downing being inept) is due to lingering issues from the back injury.  Could be hurting his accuracy and arm strength.  Could also be since our WRS have such terrible hands, they feel like taking the easy throws is better? Who knows? One thing I have noticed is that except for the San Diego and this past week's games, he has looked much better at home or in places like Miami, as opposed to on the road.  Even in the New England game, he didn't look that bad but the receivers were terrible. Could just be a comfort issue but you have to wonder if colder temperatures cause issues with the back injury.  Not trying to make excuses for the guy but just trying to make sense of all this.  Hopefully at a minimum Downing is gone and we bring in a new OC that can help him and Cooper develop.  I feel like this was a wasted year but maybe we needed an attitude adjustment.  In addition to a new OC (I would love a new HC but not holding my breath) we definitely need a new dl, wr, and db coach.  I feel like those units are failing us the most with getting something out of those guys or just having them show solid fundamentals.  The dline especially.  We have spent too much draft capital on that position group to see such little growth.  Hoping Reggie and MD make the right moves in the New Year!

Woodson Luster cut after bad holding penalty. 

Accountability, while still incredibly sparse, may have finally come.

Next guy to cut, again, is Calhoun. A replay of the fake punt shows he was in excellent position to have made the tackle and absolutely should have. And he just turned away the wrong way and ran away from the play instead. 0 awareness. Turns out when you cut a guy once, it's likely the right thing. Wow. And in that same replay you can see how utterly bad his punt blocking is as well. We can't pick up some street FA that's a wide margin better than this?!?!!! It infuriates me. 

In light of that let me say how utterly disappointing the punt team has been. Especially the aspect where even though we sell out every time to block for the returner, our blocking is pretty bad. And we NEVER put on a punt block, in any game situation, ever. Unless we're incredibly desperate and down by huge points. Terrible.

Just now, holyghost said:

Next guy to cut, again, is Calhoun. A replay of the fake punt shows he was in excellent position to have made the tackle and absolutely should have. And he just turned away the wrong way and ran away from the play instead. 0 awareness. Turns out when you cut a guy once, it's likely the right thing. Wow. And in that same replay you can see how utterly bad his punt blocking is as well. We can't pick up some street FA that's a wide margin better than this?!?!!! It infuriates me. 

In light of that let me say how utterly disappointing the punt team has been. Especially the aspect where even though we sell out every time to block for the returner, our blocking is pretty bad. And we NEVER put on a punt block, in any game situation, ever. Unless we're incredibly desperate and down by huge points. Terrible. When we did our team management become so intractable?

We have players across this roster who are young, who show next to no promise, and we desperately hang on to them. Being sold a bill of development. While roster talent is just continually lacking. Other teams, even our rivals such as Denver and KC, turn over player talent (running back is a good example) until they find a performer for the position. Why are we not doing this? Does this staff really think McDonald or Borders or Hamilton is the next big thing? To the point where they can't cut them, move on, and look at some other guy until someone steps up with an ability to perform? Ability to perform is the only requisite for a position on the roster. And yet our team is operating with a philosophy that controverts that?

11 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster.  I agree with many of the aforementioned issues that Carr has been having.  It's really disappointing since he looked so good last year.  In addition to all of this, I think the ghosts of last year's injury and the week 4 back injury are still affecting him physically and mentally.  I think a big reason we don't take many shots downfield (besides Downing being inept) is due to lingering issues from the back injury.  Could be hurting his accuracy and arm strength.  Could also be since our WRS have such terrible hands, they feel like taking the easy throws is better? Who knows? One thing I have noticed is that except for the San Diego and this past week's games, he has looked much better at home or in places like Miami, as opposed to on the road.  Even in the New England game, he didn't look that bad but the receivers were terrible. Could just be a comfort issue but you have to wonder if colder temperatures cause issues with the back injury.  Not trying to make excuses for the guy but just trying to make sense of all this.  Hopefully at a minimum Downing is gone and we bring in a new OC that can help him and Cooper develop.  I feel like this was a wasted year but maybe we needed an attitude adjustment.  In addition to a new OC (I would love a new HC but not holding my breath) we definitely need a new dl, wr, and db coach.  I feel like those units are failing us the most with getting something out of those guys or just having them show solid fundamentals.  The dline especially.  We have spent too much draft capital on that position group to see such little growth.  Hoping Reggie and MD make the right moves in the New Year!

Hi NJ!

While I think the back injury doesn't seem to be hindering him much at this moment in time especially after he used his legs in the last game it sure looks like he still had some mental hangups and maybe that is why he's getting rid of the ball so quickly, it's probably a combination of things - mental in that he doesn't want to get hit after the leg break and then that nervousness enhanced by the back injury, an OC who is inexperienced and just wants to make his QB comfortable rather than doing whats best for him and the team and some pretty poor WR play which again leads to them being even more conservative and trying to pander to them too by trying to get them easy catches.

For Carr I think the best thing he can do is have a break over the off season and unwind mentally and physically and come back fresh with a new, experienced coordinator and maybe a new toy or two to throw at. Who would you like to see at OC next season??

The tough part about a new oc is that many of them will probably get hc looks. I also worry about del Rios ego which got us in the current mess we are in. If we hire a new oc and the offense is prolific again, does he get replaced? It’s tough bc even though Jay Gruden and Bill O will prob get fired, would they settle for an oc job? I would love either one but not sure how realistic either one is.

I know DeFillippo is a name that has been kicked around here. Only has a year of play calling experience but that was in Cleveland so hard to judge. (Same thing with Shurmur as a hc.) It was also during that Manziel mess. A couple of things I did notice were that Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge were their leading wrs. Shows me that he gets the best playmakers involved. What a novel idea!  The other thing is there is some familiarity with Carr since he was here his rookie year.

Pagano is going to get canned so Rob Chudzinski could be a guy I would def like as oc. He has done some good things. I just hope if we keep del Rio he is willing to go outside his circle of trust. Koetter and McCoy don’t excite me but I would take anyone over downing at this point.

43 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

The tough part about a new oc is that many of them will probably get hc looks. I also worry about del Rios ego which got us in the current mess we are in. If we hire a new oc and the offense is prolific again, does he get replaced? It’s tough bc even though Jay Gruden and Bill O will prob get fired, would they settle for an oc job? I would love either one but not sure how realistic either one is.

I know DeFillippo is a name that has been kicked around here. Only has a year of play calling experience but that was in Cleveland so hard to judge. (Same thing with Shurmur as a hc.) It was also during that Manziel mess. A couple of things I did notice were that Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge were their leading wrs. Shows me that he gets the best playmakers involved. What a novel idea!  The other thing is there is some familiarity with Carr since he was here his rookie year.

Pagano is going to get canned so Rob Chudzinski could be a guy I would def like as oc. He has done some good things. I just hope if we keep del Rio he is willing to go outside his circle of trust. Koetter and McCoy don’t excite me but I would take anyone over downing at this point.

Jay is to be honest, the Gruden I would prefer. I think he's a very bright offensive mind but as you say, he's looked at as a HC candidate but as of right now I think he'd be best as an OC. Maybe if no offers come for a HC job he could be enticed by a similar title that Pagano took, kind of a OC/Asst HC but I guess that's wishful thinking :).

9 hours ago, holyghost said:
9 hours ago, holyghost said:

In light of that let me say how utterly disappointing the punt team has been. Especially the aspect where even though we sell out every time to block for the returner, our blocking is pretty bad. And we NEVER put on a punt block, in any game situation, ever. Unless we're incredibly desperate and down by huge points. Terrible. When we did our team management become so intractable?

We have players across this roster who are young, who show next to no promise, and we desperately hang on to them. Being sold a bill of development. While roster talent is just continually lacking. Other teams, even our rivals such as Denver and KC, turn over player talent (running back is a good example) until they find a performer for the position. Why are we not doing this? Does this staff really think McDonald or Borders or Hamilton is the next big thing? To the point where they can't cut them, move on, and look at some other guy until someone steps up with an ability to perform? Ability to perform is the only requisite for a position on the roster. And yet our team is operating with a philosophy that controverts that?

Interesting take, I'm actually pretty happy with the patience we show to young guys. I don't think we're averse to jettisoning guys like Tyler Wilson who were our draft picks but didn't show anything but we are usually giving them at least a couple seasons to see if they can contribute. Next offseason is IMO the time to ***** whether Ward, Calhoun, Connor Cook,  Walford and the like still have any value. We do seem to be underachieving in developing players along the DL recently as I pointed out in the defence thread, perhaps a change in DC can make a big difference?

2 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:
4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We do seem to be underachieving in developing players along the DL recently as I pointed out in the defence thread, perhaps a change in DC can make a big difference?

Do you mean DL coach rather than DC?

No, Defensive Coordinator - as in when the players are used more effectively and played in a scheme that suits them better they might be able to make more of an impact in a rotation. Obviously the DL coach has a major factor but if they are coached well the progress might well have been obfuscated by inept scheming. There's no excuse now we have a real DC on board.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Jay is to be honest, the Gruden I would prefer. I think he's a very bright offensive mind but as you say, he's looked at as a HC candidate but as of right now I think he'd be best as an OC. Maybe if no offers come for a HC job he could be enticed by a similar title that Pagano took, kind of a OC/Asst HC but I guess that's wishful thinking :).

Can we have 2 AHC's?  I thought Tice already was one.  I could see Jay Gruden wanting to come here for a few reasons:

1. If the offense balls while he's around and the defense still is bad, then we could look to promote Gruden and fire JDR.  Our defense has some pieces (namely Khalil Mack but maybe Irvin and the young guys can be viewed as enticing). Then he has Carr, Coop, Cook, and our OL ready to go.  Plus a well-managed salary cap.   That's not the worst situation.

OR

2.  Building off the notion that he could make our offense look good with the talent we already have, he could use his time here to show the rest of the NFL that he's still a worthy hire at HC.  Sort of like Kyle Shanahan in ATL (although he hadn't had a HC job before).

Still wouldn't call it likely, but there are scenarios that make some amount of sense.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:58 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Can we have 2 AHC's?  I thought Tice already was one.  I could see Jay Gruden wanting to come here for a few reasons:

1. If the offense balls while he's around and the defense still is bad, then we could look to promote Gruden and fire JDR.  Our defense has some pieces (namely Khalil Mack but maybe Irvin and the young guys can be viewed as enticing). Then he has Carr, Coop, Cook, and our OL ready to go.  Plus a well-managed salary cap.   That's not the worst situation.

OR

2.  Building off the notion that he could make our offense look good with the talent we already have, he could use his time here to show the rest of the NFL that he's still a worthy hire at HC.  Sort of like Kyle Shanahan in ATL (although he hadn't had a HC job before).

Still wouldn't call it likely, but there are scenarios that make some amount of sense.

I'd rather just fire Jack dud Rio and hire Gruden as HC. Let's skip the middle game part. 

Bottom line.... this team will go as Carr goes. So they need to INVEST in an offensive minded coach to work with him. 

JDR is a defensive minded coach who's failed to elevate the defense in 3 years and has mismanaged his assistant coaching hires..... time to go!

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'd rather just fire Jack dud Rio and hire Gruden as HC. Let's skip the middle game part. 

Bottom line.... this team will go as Carr goes. So they need to INVEST in an offensive minded coach to work with him. 

JDR is a defensive minded coach who's failed to elevate the defense in 3 years and has mismanaged his assistant coaching hires..... time to go!

Agreed 100%. If JDR stays on, to me, he's on the hot seat all year and is all but gone after so why not do it now. He did his job, got the team out of the gutter, time to move on.

Archived