#PaperGate - Have you ever seen something so weird in the NFL?

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

or someone with a little common sense.

I said the same thing you did last year, when my team was losing. looks like you're in the same situation I was in last season.

the NFL is random. this was random. the NFL is random.

No, I'm not emotionally invested in entertainment on my tv. I could care less who wins. My name is just because  I liked that player as a kid. If it were random, there could never be decade dynasties. If it were random,you wouldn't  already know the Chiefs and Jaguars have no chance of getting  to SB. 

3 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

No, I'm not emotionally invested in entertainment on my tv. I could care less who wins. My name is just because  I liked that player as a kid. If it were random, there could never be decade dynasties. If it were random,you wouldn't  already know the Chiefs and Jaguars have no chance of getting  to SB. 

I think those dynasties happened due to a lack of free agency.

I think both of them have a shot. Think whatever you'd like of me. I don't care.

5 hours ago, bzane said:

Well, I happen to referee World Football, young fella me lad, and bein' as how ye're from the U.K. yourself, I'll thank 'ee to show proper respect for yer elders!

(Don't think too much about what the Yanks call "football"; seems more like rugby in full battle-dress, an' wi' too many time oots 'n bloody celebrations!)

Image result for old man football referee

Don’t worry I’ve been yearning for us to replace linesman. I mean they only just installed goal line technology a couple years ago lol. 

I wonder how long it will be before we get some type of laser system installed on the down markers.

Heck, if my Skill Saw can have a laser on it showing me where to cut, why can't they put a laser on the bottom of the down marker?  Sticks come out, if it's close.... turn the laser on, and if it hits the ball, it's a first down.

A $14 billion league is using a folded up piece of paper to decide first downs...that sounds like something we'd do in my yard growing up as kids. Heck, just give me a roll of duct tape and a few laser pointers and I'll do it for $40.

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

The biggest fraud in sports is how we pretend the chains are in any way an accurate representation of a first down gained. Two guys trot out with sticks attached by chains. The first guy puts the stick where he thinks the set of downs started, and the second guy pulls it to see if the ball is 10 yards from where the first guy guessed. There’s no way possible that the first guy could possibly get the exact mark that the ball started on. Particularly for something as close as what happened here, there is absolutely no way the measurement was accurate.

This is absolutely not at all how this works.

On 2017-12-17 at 11:59 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

This was BY FAR the weirdest thing I have ever seen happen in an NFL game! Using a folded piece of paper to slip in between the ball and yard sticks to determine if it they got it on 4th down. It was THAT close.

• Do you think it was the right thing to do?
  • Do you think it was the right call?
  • Should the paper have been folded?

The bottom was open so obviously it was going to be more wide than if it was a single piece. 

With the technology of today, this is another example of how foolish the nfl is. There has to be other ways to eliminate human error or such methods as this. Between this, trying to catch the catch rule, celebrations, the league is losing respect of fans. Considering the revenue the nfl generates and there salaries of the goodell and players, just think of it.

7 hours ago, iPwn said:

How does it work then?

It's all based on the yard markers. They place a clip on the chain right at the back end of the 5 yard marker closest to the original line of scrimmage. When they go out for a measurement, that clip is placed down again at the back end of the 5 yard marker, and both guys on the end pull from that, with the guy at the original line of scrimmage going first. So let's say you return a kick to the 27 yard line, 1st and 10 from there. They'd place a clip on the chain where it meets the very beginning of the 30 yard line, and it remains there until a new set of downs is gained. If they need to measure, that gets put at the 30, the first guy pulls his marker back to the 27, and then the actual measurement moment happens with the second guy pulling his marker to the 37. It's still not perfect, obviously. The clip may well be off by a small margin. But it isn't just one guy kind of eyeballing it when he gets to the middle of the field with his pole.

Archived