Players That Left Your Team and Became Good Elsewhere

SteelKing728

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Carlos Rogers was a very good cover corner, but became great after the 49ers gave him an eye exam.  Serious.  

Also, Champ Bailey becoming one of the best DBs of his generation.  He was already pretty good, but took it to another level in Denver. 

I struggled with us. Like you mentioned, players left us and became great, but they were honestly already good. I couldn't think of anyone that sucked and went on to be great elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I struggled with us. Like you mentioned, players left us and became great, but they were honestly already good. I couldn't think of anyone that sucked and went on to be great elsewhere. 

Mario Addison and Lo Alexander

Edited by lavar703

8 hours ago, August4th said:

johnny U

Emanuel sanders

thankfully the Steelers don't have many of these guys 

Sanders was about the only one I can think of that became that good but even at that with us he always had a nagging foot/ankle injury.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Maybe the most annoying one for the Giants in recent memory is Ereck Flowers. He was horrible for us at tackle, and we were told so many times by the Giants and OL experts like Duke Manyweather that "You can't just move him to guard. He'd be bad there too. That wouldn't fix anything". Well, he left the Giants, went to Washington, and actually became a decent guard. I'm not sure he was actually even in the "good" tier, but the fact that he was serviceable at guard for a divisional rival sucked. 

Duke Manyweather is such an interesting guy.  I mean just phenomenal at what he does, but he misses so much.  Right now with the Steelers he's saying that we will regret replacing Dan Moore Jr, and despite him being 36th best OT in the league last year he said Jones doesn't have enough to supplant him.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

We’ve definitely had a good number of those “good to great” players.  As much as people want to knock on Rogers for the dropped INTs, he was arguably a top 10 cover guy.  

Even as @lavar703mentioned Alexander, he was a great ST guy and he left for an opportunity to start.  Great ST guy, became a good LB for a time.  

I think the list for our franchise is most interesting is the head coach/front office list.  

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Duke Manyweather is such an interesting guy.  I mean just phenomenal at what he does, but he misses so much.  Right now with the Steelers he's saying that we will regret replacing Dan Moore Jr, and despite him being 36th best OT in the league last year he said Jones doesn't have enough to supplant him.

Nobody is right 100% of the time, and Duke works so closely with some of these players that he forms personal, emotional bonds with them, so you have to give him a pass. He's ultimately fantastic at what he does, but yeah, he's been wrong his fair share.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Nobody is right 100% of the time, and Duke works so closely with some of these players that he forms personal, emotional bonds with them, so you have to give him a pass. He's ultimately fantastic at what he does, but yeah, he's been wrong his fair share.

Oh I know. It’s more to me that when he’s off on a guy he gets irrational because of that relationship. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Oh I know. It’s more to me that when he’s off on a guy he gets irrational because of that relationship. 

For sure. And it isn't just him; I saw JT O'Sullivan sit down with Brett Kollman (and that other guy he works with whose name I do not know) to talk QBs. JT, thankfully, acknowledged that he's got a personal relationship with Jayden Daniels, but then he proceeded to talk glowingly about him for some time and refused to mention any flaws.

Just like everywhere else, it is a relationship business.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

For sure. And it isn't just him; I saw JT O'Sullivan sit down with Brett Kollman (and that other guy he works with whose name I do not know) to talk QBs. JT, thankfully, acknowledged that he's got a personal relationship with Jayden Daniels, but then he proceeded to talk glowingly about him for some time and refused to mention any flaws.

Just like everywhere else, it is a relationship business.

Yeah, I was excited for that podcast, but that definitely made it a bit of a let down for me.

• Like 2

Greg Olsen was never bad but was poorly used in CHI, when he got to be used properly he thrived in CAR. Brandon Marshall had one badass year for the Jets when he left CHI. 

I think of Tony Parrish. Bears could have had him and Mike Brown as their two safeties and stupidly let Parrish walk. He had a heck of a stretch in SF. 

• Like 1

Joe Horn is normally the classic example for KC. Rode the bench for a few years, had a solid year in '99, and then was a perennial pro-bowler for New Orleans.

A Viking fan mentioned Rich Gannon, and he would qualify for us as well.

Generally though I feel we've had more examples of the opposite, though maybe that's just because those guys are more memorable as Chiefs. But Brian Waters was cut by the Cowboys when we got him. Harrison Butker was a practice squad steal. Anthony Sherman and Charvarius Ward were cheap trade targets. Ron Parker had a nice run for us after playing only a couple dozen snaps across three teams early in his career.

• Like 2

Bryce Paup was good for the Packers.  One Pro Bowl in 5 years.  Went next level after leaving GB.  First Team All Pro.  3 Pro Bowls.  Even won DPOTY in 1995.

JC Tretter always had promise with GB, but was injury prone.  

Left GB and had 5 season in which he played in 16 games each, while becoming a top 10is (or even better) center in the league.

• Like 1