Jaguars ink Linder to 5 year extension

pwny

That's a little bit more than I was expecting. Don't even care though, we have the money and he has been on pace to be an high end to possibly even elite C/RG pending on where we end up putting him. We need to get some of these guys locked up, glad we're getting it done.

Was statistcally a top 5 center last year according to PFF behind Parades, Hudson, Mack, and Frederick in his first year after the position change. He got more total money than Alex Mack but less in guarantees. Looks like a fine deal for a young C to me if he sticks there. Otherwise he moves back to RG where he played very well at. Think he probably stays at C though.

5 minutes ago, Its A Sabotage said:

that is a lot of money for a player that has been hurt and some wanted to change positions 

The health part is definitely concerning. The people (and there were some) that wanted him to switch because he "wasn't that good at C" were wrong.

Just now, iPwn said:

The health part is definitely concerning. The people (and there were some) that wanted him to switch because he "wasn't that good at C" were wrong.

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/889961752867332097

jaguars 25th in adjusted yards up the middle, i know it is more than just a center thats at fault but the other top-5 paid centers have an adjusted rank in the top-10

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I feel that's much more Pillow Hand Luke at LG and Cann playing poorly. 

^

No doubt that needs to improve if our C is making that much money, but that piled in with the fact that this was his first year at center (and again, according to most he was one of the best overall centers this year. There's a PFF picture of their top 5 centers from this past year as I posted above) I think this was more of what they expect him to be in the future. 

Like I said, got a smaller guarantee than Mack did last year for sure. This is generally what happens with new extensions, previous high amounts get topped.

My problem with this is that the injury history should have given the discount Spotrac was predicting or at least made a portion of this incentive based. Instead, they gave him what a three year healthy Linder would have gotten. 

Also one has to wonder if you're willing to invest that much at Center, why they didn't put a lot more effort into fixing a Guard spot to make the unit better than 25th collectively. 

According to PFF, Watford ranked 73rd out of 73 eligible Guards last year. Cann ranked 43rd.

So there's merit to it not being Linder's fault. But if you're making him that highly paid, you probably need to do more on the interior than they have. 

Archived