Jump to content
iPwn

Jaguars ink Linder to 5 year extension

51 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, iPwn said:
44 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think that has more to do with the value we are placing on LT now that Gus is gone. They are going to treat LT a little differently.

Could you clarify? I'm not following, and that's probably just me missing the point. 

When Gus was here, the philosophy was that Center was the most important OL position. Since Doug Marrone took over, he mentioned (and I think maybe Coughlin as well) that Left Tackle is going to be viewed as the most important position.

On a quick Google search, I couldn't find the exact quotes though, so this is 100% off of memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171
9 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

When Gus was here, the philosophy was that Center was the most important OL position. Since Doug Marrone took over, he mentioned (and I think maybe Coughlin as well) that Left Tackle is going to be viewed as the most important position.

On a quick Google search, I couldn't find the exact quotes though, so this is 100% off of memory.

But why would that mean that Cam shouldn't move from LT, but Albert might?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iPwn said:
9 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

When Gus was here, the philosophy was that Center was the most important OL position. Since Doug Marrone took over, he mentioned (and I think maybe Coughlin as well) that Left Tackle is going to be viewed as the most important position.

On a quick Google search, I couldn't find the exact quotes though, so this is 100% off of memory.

But why would that mean that Cam shouldn't move from LT, but Albert might?

I just mean that they may not want a rookie they see as a franchise LT being moved around a lot. They might want him to just focus on LT. It kind of sounds like that based on their comments too.

It isn't necessarily a philosophy I believe in, but I'm just speculating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171
16 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I just mean that they may not want a rookie they see as a franchise LT being moved around a lot. They might want him to just focus on LT. It kind of sounds like that based on their comments too.

It isn't necessarily a philosophy I believe in, but I'm just speculating.

Ahh, now I get what you mean. Yeah, I wasn't understanding.

That makes sense. But then if that's the philosophy, I'm not sure they're going to actually want to stick him somewhere else on the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Ahh, now I get what you mean. Yeah, I wasn't understanding.

That makes sense. But then if that's the philosophy, I'm not sure they're going to actually want to stick him somewhere else on the line. 

Yeah, and that's kind of what we were talking about. That's the only (logical) reason that they wouldn't want to put him somewhere else on the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171
34 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah, and that's kind of what we were talking about. That's the only (logical) reason that they wouldn't want to put him somewhere else on the line.

Yeah, my question was more of a "if they're going to say that about him, I find it hard to believe they're going to readily move him like many are thinking." If he loses out, I think there's a good chance he plays backup to continue to develop at the position. Maybe he goes somewhere else, but it's not the near-guarantee others think.

If they want him there in the future, it's reasonable to think that learning different technique/responsibilities could hamper his long term development towards being the cornerstone LT they hope him to be. It's one of the reasons I advocated sitting Jack behind Poz rather than playing him at SLB (it also helped that Jack isn't a SLB, but still). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.Buzz    47
7 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, my question was more of a "if they're going to say that about him, I find it hard to believe they're going to readily move him like many are thinking." If he loses out, I think there's a good chance he plays backup to continue to develop at the position.

If they want him there in the future, it's reasonable to think that learning different technique/responsibilities could hamper his long term development towards being the cornerstone LT they hope him to be

That's fair. I guess we just saw a guy like Tunsil get moved inside for Albert last year and played tremendous so I figured why not do that with Cam? Obviously I'd probably put Tunsil as a better prospect coming out but Cam has a chance to be special himself if he can work on a few things and work on his upper body. Guess I'd just like to see the best 5 guys out there. 

I'll be interested to see if Cam dominates/plays very well and Albert lags behind a bit what they do. Can they get Albert to move inside/move to RT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171
4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's fair. I guess we just saw a guy like Tunsil get moved inside for Albert last year and played tremendous so I figured why not do that with Cam? Obviously I'd probably put Tunsil as a better prospect coming out but Cam has a chance to be special himself if he can work on a few things and work on his upper body. Guess I'd just like to see the best 5 guys out there. 

I'll be interested to see if Cam dominates/plays very well and Albert lags behind a bit what they do. Can they get Albert to move inside/move to RT?

I'm honestly not sure. Before, he said he was not moving, but that seemed me like him wanting one last LT payday, rather than him necessarily caring what his technique and placement had to be. If he's realized that payday isn't coming, he may have changed his mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.Buzz    47
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I'm honestly not sure. Before, he said he was not moving, but that seemed me like him wanting one last LT payday, rather than him necessarily caring what his technique and placement had to be. If he's realized that payday isn't coming, he may have changed his mind.

That's kind of how I feel. No pay day coming either. Maybe once his contract ends he could find a place elsewhere but that isnt likely to be as a starting LT at the age he'll be at.

Edited by .Buzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171

Looks like they've got this a bit front loaded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.Buzz    47
34 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Looks like they've got this a bit front loaded

Which is good considering how much space we have right now. May as well do it while we have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Which is good considering how much space we have right now. May as well do it while we have it.

The way we do contracts, we may have it forever.

pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tugboat    21
On 7/25/2017 at 3:42 PM, Its A Sabotage said:

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/889961752867332097

 

jaguars 25th in adjusted yards up the middle, i know it is more than just a center thats at fault but the other top-5 paid centers have an adjusted rank in the top-10

I know Linder's deal is heavily frontloaded and the AAV is high due to the fact they're probably trying to dump as much cash out right now, as opposed to later when we're hopefully competitive and need the room more...But...

 

Stuff like this seems really bad.  We had a pathetic running game, and one of the most sacked QBs the last few years.  That's not something you expect from a line with a guy making Elite #1 in the league sort of money at any position.  Granted, there's injury there where he's missed a bunch of time...but again, not a positive.  And there are other factors at play...but it's just awfully hard to justify anyone on our Oline being the highest paid at any position, given the pathetic results they've turned in over the last bunch of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VLoo    4

The "metrics" flesh out his high level of play though. I really don't have a problem with this deal at all. His G's on either side haven't exactly helped him in the blocking area. We've basically had an ice cream cone at LG the past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPwn    171
1 hour ago, VLoo said:

The "metrics" flesh out his high level of play though. I really don't have a problem with this deal at all. His G's on either side haven't exactly helped him in the blocking area. We've basically had an ice cream cone at LG the past few years.

I think the biggest thing is if you’re going to make that kind of investment, it needs to have tangible results. It’s okay to spend that kind of money on the Center, but you also need to make sure the talent on either side is good enough to make the IOL unit work. Otherwise, what’s the point of spending that much on a Center if the group as a whole is still going to give you bottom 5 run blocking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×