Rolni's mock offseason vol. 1 update on page 2

Rolni

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Don't disagree about the Dline. But doesn't mean I want to see them re-sign a MLB who's best football in behind him.

IMO...FA is about finding guys who's best football is in front of them. Not wasting time and resources on aging stopgaps. 

That's more the draft than free agency. FA is about filling out your roster with either starters or quality depth and mitigating needs going into the draft.

Also, it's not like Bowman is commanding top dollar.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

IMO...FA is about finding guys who's best football is in front of them. Not wasting time and resources on aging stopgaps. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

That's more the draft than free agency. FA is about filling out your roster with either starters or quality depth and mitigating needs going into the draft.

It can be both guys. Just depends on your teams outlook, money, draft success and needs.

• 1 month later...

Hey just want to give an update how I see the FA period now...

Bring back:

-NaVorro Bowman...solid steady option, good fit, high character leader, who shouldn't be expensive

-Justin Ellis...solid 2 down run stuffer, who should be back cheap, since he is a limited role player

-Reggie Nelson...I know this won't be popular, but he could help with the scheme transition and could be an ER option if the Melifonwu project is struggling

-every ERFA guy

Cut:

-David Amerson is already gone

-Sean Smith should be out too

-Michael Crabtree can walk

-Marshaw Lynch also can pack his stuff

-Marshall Newhouse too

I would keep Irvin as base SLB, nickel RDE. He might not be a perfect fit, but his sacks could come in handy and we can afford him IMO.

FA:
-Cameron Fleming gets a nice deal to be our RT

-Kendall Wright come in with sure hands and helps out this WR unit. Would still go WR in the middle of the draft

-Alfred Blue is a young big back with some potential. Would still draft our RBotF in R2 or R3 most probably

-Bashaud Breeland get a solid deal to form a strong duo with Conley. Would still go after 1 or 2 CB's in the draft

-Chris Smith comes in as a rotational DE with scheme knowledge

What you think?

40 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Hey just want to give an update how I see the FA period now...

Bring back:

-NaVorro Bowman...solid steady option, good fit, high character leader, who shouldn't be expensive

-Justin Ellis...solid 2 down run stuffer, who should be back cheap, since he is a limited role player

-Reggie Nelson...I know this won't be popular, but he could help with the scheme transition and could be an ER option if the Melifonwu project is struggling

-every ERFA guy

Cut:

-David Amerson is already gone

-Sean Smith should be out too

-Michael Crabtree can walk

-Marshaw Lynch also can pack his stuff

-Marshall Newhouse too

I would keep Irvin as base SLB, nickel RDE. He might not be a perfect fit, but his sacks could come in handy and we can afford him IMO.

FA:
-Cameron Fleming gets a nice deal to be our RT

-Kendall Wright come in with sure hands and helps out this WR unit. Would still go WR in the middle of the draft

-Alfred Blue is a young big back with some potential. Would still draft our RBotF in R2 or R3 most probably

-Bashaud Breeland get a solid deal to form a strong duo with Conley. Would still go after 1 or 2 CB's in the draft

-Chris Smith comes in as a rotational DE with scheme knowledge

What you think?

I have mentioned Wright in the FA thread before, as well as on Twitter and other message boards, usually with no response. So thank you for being another person that sees it. I was starting to believe that I was crazy for thinking so. Good cheap option that has played reasonably well, and seems like he could be a nice piece in a Gruden offense. If a WR isn't in the top 3 round draft plans, I'd like to hold onto Crabtree too though. So a WR corps of Cooper-Crabs-Wright-CP(mainly for ST)-Competition among Roberts/Holton/Rookie (if considered value) would be a decent upgrade with little in the way of resources being given up, and would give the flexibility of not needing to draft a WR if there isn't a good value.

I like the rest of the FA additions. I'd maybe hold onto Newhouse, if he's cheap, to compete with Sharpe/Ware at a depth spot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few days to think about this and I'm not keen on the cuts and FA additions if I'm honest. Bowman and Ellis I'd definitely try to resign as I think they both played pretty well last year, Bowman marshalls the D and we rarely got out of position compared to previously. Irvin at SLB and James at WLB with morrow coming in to play the pass as he did this year. Ellis is our only real NT and he looked sharper and fitter last year, made more of an impact and had his best year, I don't think he has that high a reputation and should be reasonably cost effective to bring back.

Crabtree I think should stay, he's been our best receiver and we have to assume he'll be used better than by Downing and probably at least as well as Musgrave did. 

It depends upon what exact scheme we play but I've been an advocate for Sean Smith all season, he has his faults but when he plays in the right system he can be very good - press man on man coverage and bump and run is what I like so I'd keep him. I think Guenther plays that some too so he may fit well.

Lynch looked very good to me and another player that was hampered all season by our former OC. He's still breaking tackles and still has zip and elusiveness, so I'd keep him and look to bring in his successor as a rookie with Richard and Washington as change of pace backs - it's what they've always been best at despite the hype last year.

I wouldn't bring in Blue, he's always underwhelmed and I'd go for a rookie there to sit and learn behind Lynch.

Fleming/Newhouse to me a is push, either would be underwhelming but Newhouse is already in house and familiar so I'd probably stick with him. He's average but there's plenty a lot worse out there - not a huge endorsement I know but he's reasonably priced and we can't have super stars at every position.

Wright and Breeland I really like, not sure how Wright fits in if Crabtree stays though but I'd definitely look at Breeland as although Conley looks great we've had a very small sample size. DE Smith is depth at best but probably more comfortable with Guenther's system and probably better than the likes of Cowser, Calhoun.

I may be in the minority here but I genuinely feel that we have some talent on D and the most crucial thing is to get an interior pass rush, if we can snag an UT that can penetrate I think we'll look a whole lot better just with the guys we've got. I don't see many in FA who would make a big difference though apart from maybe Sheldon Richardson and he's a major question mark with me.   

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It depends upon what exact scheme we play but I've been an advocate for Sean Smith all season, he has his faults but when he plays in the right system he can be very good - press man on man coverage and bump and run is what I like so I'd keep him. I think Guenther plays that some too so he may fit well.   

Sean Smith is just average on his best days at this point and he can't matchup at all against quick WRs. He's way too expensive for his level of play. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut, i guess he coud stick around for one more season.

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Sean Smith is just average on his best days at this point and he can't matchup at all against quick WRs. He's way too expensive for his level of play. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut, i guess he coud stick around for one more season.

I respectfully disagree and think he's a good CB in the right system, whether he's worth it or not depends on how we intend to use him. If we play a system which suites his strengths and allows him to press and get his hands on the WR I think he could be a very good compliment to Conley who I'm excited about on the other side. If we're going to play him off or a lot of zone and expect him to close on the ball then he'll be massively overpaid.

I know it's the time of year where every player gets looked at with regard to their cap hit and how much we could potentially 'free up' but I feel we have to be careful not to just cut guys for the sake of gaining cap room - if we cut a guy we have to replace him with not just a player but a better player if we're going to actually be a better team. 

57 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I respectfully disagree and think he's a good CB in the right system, whether he's worth it or not depends on how we intend to use him. If we play a system which suites his strengths and allows him to press and get his hands on the WR I think he could be a very good compliment to Conley who I'm excited about on the other side. If we're going to play him off or a lot of zone and expect him to close on the ball then he'll be massively overpaid.

I know it's the time of year where every player gets looked at with regard to their cap hit and how much we could potentially 'free up' but I feel we have to be careful not to just cut guys for the sake of gaining cap room - if we cut a guy we have to replace him with not just a player but a better player if we're going to actually be a better team.  

I think this is a very good point and often gets lost in the forever argument about 'value'. Of course in an ideal world you want to have all your players rightfully renumerated, but GMs and FOs make mistakes with contracts they hand out. Players regress, teams and circumstances change. It's not as simplistic as to say a player needs to earn the exact cost of his contract. If you can't improve a position, don't weaken it if all your doing in the process is saving money. That's not to say that if an upgrade is available we should keep Smith around, but I'd wouldn't cut him now unless you have a pretty definite alternative in mind.

Archived