5 Personnel Moves That SHOULD Be Made

TheOnlyThing

45 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

None of those moves are emotional IMO. Nelson and Matthews are WAY overpaid. There is no counter-argument there. Same with Cobb. Burnett is baarely a step above JAG on the field for the reasons stated. 

The biggest problem is not letting these guys go, rather its that we have a GM who won't use the extra money to improve the team. For example, we were paying Shields about $9mil per year when we cut him and instead of using that money to sign Bouye, Gilmore or another top corner to adequately replace Shields, we signed a 2nd tier player like House at a huge discount. So the team got worse overall when Shields left, not better or even an equal swap. That's the one and only reason I'm hesitant about letting these guys walk. Now if we had a GM that cut Matthews and Cobb and then went out and grabbed Graham and Golden Tate for example, I'd say let's do it. But instead, if we cut Nelson, Cobb and Matthews, the 2018 replacements will be Allison, Davis and Fackrell. Because...thats Ted. 

It’s emotional because what’s being purposed is cutting/let walk 5 of our best players. Look are all of these guys overpaid? Objectively yes... but when they signed they weren’t and when signed players like Adams werent guaranteed to be what he is now. That’s the risk teams take on.

Its likely players on their second/third contracts will see great decline towards the end of their deals. You need and hope young guys step up as those guys age. Adams has done that... but they need more too. Objectively I would say Jordy and Cobb still have a lot to give Green Bay next year with Rodgers.

Also it’s emotional because it’s no guarantee we sign any big FAs and that may not be for a lack of Ted trying... players might get more money elsewhere and prefer other cities over Green Bay. So unless they sign a FA THEN cut these guys... just cutting them seems foolish and allowing our best chance for production go. Plus think what it would do to Rodgers... he always talks high of jordy and Cobb, and has stated many times he’d take his guys over others. That has value and you just cut those guys might have a negative reaction.

I would keep Clay for one more year. He's not great value but we probably need him.

Assuming we can retain Adams then one of Nelson or Cobb should be cut. It makes sense to keep one of them so Rodgers has one of his veteran long-term targets. If we can't keep Adams then we probably have to keep them both for another year in which case receiver becomes priority 1 probably.

Whether or not Spriggs is the replacement, its the end for Bulaga. You've got to give yourself a shot of getting through s run of games with your line intact - he's just too big an injury risk now.

If we could keep Burnett on something like a 2/3 year deal on sensible money then I would.

Wild *** thought of the moment.  Instead of cutting Cobb....find a team that might be looking for some veteran leadership at WR.  A team that is young, has plenty of draft picks and might have a connection to Cobb.  How about Cleveland?  Dorsey was on staff when we drafted Randall.  Dorsey will have 5 picks in the first two rounds.  Dorsey already made disparaging remarks about their roster.  Would he be interested in obtaining a 'real' player for the first pick of day three?  That is a somewhat coveted pick tipping off the last day of the draft.  TT might be able to use it with some of our comp picks to reach into the 3rd round and nab a 'slider'.  Cleveland has enough cap space to easily absorb Cobb's salary.

2 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

NOt talking about what he will be just about what he is currently which is not very good.

But if the player is showing promise should we just let him go because he isn't wonderful NOW?  I we did that Davante Adams wouldn't be wearing green and gold.

Clay and Jordy should be restructured to make them Packers for the rest of their careers. Less money, but more guaranteed money. It's been done before. Draft a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round and try to sign a #1 WR in FA. 

Number 1 pick should be a pass rusher. If the board doesn't break right, then a boundary corner. Maybe they can get some coverage sacks. I like the idea of boundary corners with King, #1 pick, and star with Randall.

Bulaga I would keep. He could be moved to right guard.

Cobb I'm not sure what to do. He never was very fast, but he is smart and still makes some plays. I would like to see what he could do as part of a revamped receiver corps. 

The biggest, most needed move is REPLACE CAPERS! He should have been fired after the San Francisco playoff loss when Kaepernick ran all over the Packer defense and Dom admitted after the game he didn't anticipate so much read option. I'm sorry, Dom. Really? You're a professional football coach, right? 

7 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

1) Cut Clay Matthews: It Is Time. Clay has not reached double-digits in sacks at OLB in 5 seasons. Good franchises do not (over) pay for past production. It sends a terrible signal to the rest of the team. Clay costs $12.1M in 2018 and there is no dead money if he is cut. Now, if he wants to re-sign for a salary commensurate with his abilities at this juncture, fine. If not, fine. The rush might decline a bit in 2018, but so what as it has not been good enough WITH the soon to be 32 year old Clay. The team needs to put $ towards difference makers. Clay is no longer a difference maker.

I find it wildly amusing the people who think the Packers can release Clay Matthews, and are going to find a better pass rusher in FA.  It doesn't happen.  Look at the pass rushers in this past FA who got $4M or more in terms of AAV from another team: Jabaal Sheard, John Simon, and Elvis Dumervil.  Those three pass rushers had a combined AAV of $17M.  You know what kind of production you got out of those three?  14 sacks.  Good pass rushers don't become available in FA.  It's not going to happen.  Clay will be a Packer in 2018.

Clay's day as a starter need to be over. He needs to be in the role Peppers had. He should be playing minimal 1-2nd downs. I'd like to see him get some snaps at ILB too.

Only way I cut Clay is if Lawrence or Ansah hit FA and you feel like you have a legit shot. Otherwise you're just saving a years worth of money to downgrade the team.

I let Matthews, Nelson, and Bulaga play out their contracts for sure. They are all one more year and these are your vets and have enough to offer that I don't think your team gets better by subtracting them.

Burnett is a FA and if you have any interest you set your number and expect some other team will shoot the moon anyway making it a moot point. 

Cobb, there is a strong argument for cutting, but if you do you need to find a WR worth being a #3 right now, and preferably a #2. That probably means a mid to high level FA, in addition to resigning Adams, and a moderately high draft pick because Nelson is probably done after next year too. The performance isn't worth the contract but cutting him creates an immediate hole with no one to fill.

8 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

I definitely do not want to see Clay cut.  He will become more of a part time player, and maybe could restructure, but he is still good.  

I would cut Cobb and restructure Jordy.

Isnt Cobb like 26 and Jordy 33? One has lost a step and the other hasnt hit their prime...

Unless you can show me quality players in FA next year to use $40 million on its foolish. We just don’t need to clear the cap space. Maaaybe one or even two but I think we could restructure and keep everyone. We just need additional pieces so these players are not counted on the be “the man” anymore at their position. 

47 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Unless you can show me quality players in FA next year to use $40 million on its foolish. We just don’t need to clear the cap space. Maaaybe one or even two but I think we could restructure and keep everyone. We just need additional pieces so these players are not counted on the be “the man” anymore at their position. 

Very much this.  I've already showed that the Packers can re-sign their key FAs, and still have change left over.  The only way the Packers are going to create cap space beyond that is if they plan on being players in FA, and that likely comes via a Randall Cobb release.  They're not going to cut Clay, Cobb, and Bulaga.  Ask everyone to take a paycut isn't going to happen either.

Just now, squire12 said:

There is going to be something in the range of $1.35 BILLION in league wide cap space for 2018.  Why any player would take a pay cut with that type of $$ sitting waiting to be spent is silly thinking

The threat of asking a player to take a paycut only works when the player legitimately feels the threat of being cut, and seeing a weak market.  Does anyone truly believe that Clay Matthews wouldn't fetch $5M+ on the open market?  No.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The threat of asking a player to take a paycut only works when the player legitimately feels the threat of being cut, and seeing a weak market.  Does anyone truly believe that Clay Matthews wouldn't fetch $5M+ on the open market?  No.

Not when just about every team is looking for pass rushers, starters or situational ones.  

CM can be a very solid situation EDGE and a spot ILB for GB.  Getting him around 50-60% of the snaps would be best

Archived