5 Personnel Moves That SHOULD Be Made

TheOnlyThing

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Monty? He's on a rookie contract.  He's not getting cut...

trade is actually possible.  Monty is a lot of things to a lot of teams - WR, Returner, RB, 3rd down back.

If Mays shows up to play next camp, I could see him beating him out.  Williams could actually be the best 3rd down back given his quality pass pro, an area where Monty is mediocre at best.

I'm still holding out hope that Jones can be a 10 carry back with hands to boot.  We've yet to see him really play with Rodgers outside of the dallas game.  I don't see a ton that Monty brings to the table that Jones can't do better or equal outside of route running.

12 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

Morgan Burnett isn't a hitter? That's exactly what he is. He's a plus box safety/hybrid LB. Not re-signing him makes this team worse than re-signing him. If you put your faith in Josh Jones you might have a better player in a couple years, or you might not, but it's not likely next year. Plus you lose crucial depth and experience. If Jones goes down you'd prefer to have a Burnett than a Brice or Evans. When you play big nickel/dime same thing.

For 2018, I'd agree.  But beyond that?  Honestly, I'm not sure the Packers aren't better off moving on from him.  I think the one thing that does benefit him (and the Packers) would be moving him to towards a more hybrid LB/S role that he was playing this year.  I'm not sure Kentrell Brice or Marwin Evans are the guys to take over at S for him, but long-term I don't really like the idea of having Burnett there for the life of the contract.  I think he can play in the short term, but at least near the end of the contract I think he's more valuable closer to the LOS.

8 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

We are a difference making EDGE guy away from having a very good front 7. That one pass rusher would make our secondary troubles a lot less pronounced. Not gonna happen because they are going to resign him, but I would love Demarcus Lawrence on this team

Going into the offseason, we need a legit #1 EDGE, probably another DL body, and another boundary corner at the bare minimum.  Probably need some more depth at EDGE and CB though.

4 hours ago, jleisher said:

Just another little twist, maybe, just maybe with all that extra $$$, TT goes wild in FA trying to surround Rodgers with as much talent as he can before he rides off into the sunset.  Like your mock, TT could spend heavy in FA on offense and draft heavy defense, or you can switch it around.  Not to far fetched if TT want to win before retiring.  (Should have thought about that many years ago, but it could be like a panic mode thing.)

There's only a finite amount of money the Packers have to spend.  As I've already mentioned, the Packers can not touch any player on their 2018 roster and still re-sign all their key FAs.  They might not be able to re-sign all of their players, but they could in theory re-sign their core FAs (Adams, Burnett, etc.).  I think the notion that the Packers need to save money at all costs is premature at best, unless they're planning on a FA frenzy which is unlikely at best.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, CWood21 said:

There's only a finite amount of money the Packers have to spend.  As I've already mentioned, the Packers can not touch any player on their 2018 roster and still re-sign all their key FAs.  They might not be able to re-sign all of their players, but they could in theory re-sign their core FAs (Adams, Burnett, etc.).  I think the notion that the Packers need to save money at all costs is premature at best, unless they're planning on a FA frenzy which is unlikely at best.

The free agent market doesn't look to impressive this year, IMO.  Not sure what your thinking, Adams and Linsley are the only big must resigns for me.  Looking at the FA list, here are a few that I would consider, they're young players that might have some upside at lower cost, Kyle Fuller CB (Bears), Bashaud Breeland CB (Redskins), Ezekiel Ansah DE (Lions) and Donte Moncrief WR (Colts).  Two others I like, but, will probably resign or be tagged are, Kenny Vaccaro SS (Saints) and Jarvis Landry WR (Dolphins).  Tyler Eifert TE (Bengals) is a injury risk, but would he sign a prove it deal?  Don't think so.  

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

The free agent market doesn't look to impressive this year, IMO.  Not sure what your thinking, Adams and Linsley are the only big must resigns for me.  Looking at the FA list, here are a few that I would consider, they're young players that might have some upside at lower cost, Kyle Fuller CB (Bears), Bashaud Breeland CB (Redskins), Ezekiel Ansah DE (Lions) and Donte Moncrief WR (Colts).  Two others I like, but, will probably resign or be tagged are, Kenny Vaccaro SS (Saints) and Jarvis Landry WR (Dolphins).  Tyler Eifert TE (Bengals) is a injury risk, but would he sign a prove it deal?  Don't think so.  

Fuller isn't going to get away from the Bears.  They've got over $47M in cap space, and Fuller is arguably their best secondary player.  Very little chance he leaves Chicago IMO.  And Ezekial Ansah will get franchise tagged assuming they can't get a deal done.  Vacarro is pretty much gone IMO, they were shopping him earlier in the year.

My top 5 personnel moves are:

1. Sign Davante Adams to a contract

2. Sign Corey Linsley

3. Make a decent splash in free agency - there are a few really good DL available and perhaps take a run at Jimmy Graham. 

4. The new GM needs to draft smarter than TT who drafted way too much on need and less on talent han he claimed he did. High draft choice skilled positions are a need this year, especially WR, TE, and OLB. 

5. Cut all of the big costs palyers who have consistently under performed - Mathews and Bulaga come to mind. Cobb or Jordy come to mind. 

On 12/19/2017 at 7:26 AM, Acrid Josher said:

Morgan Burnett isn't a hitter? That's exactly what he is. He's a plus box safety/hybrid LB. Not re-signing him makes this team worse than re-signing him. If you put your faith in Josh Jones you might have a better player in a couple years, or you might not, but it's not likely next year. Plus you lose crucial depth and experience. If Jones goes down you'd prefer to have a Burnett than a Brice or Evans. When you play big nickel/dime same thing.

Everyone who wants to use FA money to make this team better and then eschews the best possible FAs- plus players with experience playing on this team- needs to reevaluate where that complaint is really coming from.

Obviously price is the biggest factor in the end, but unless the market is crazy you're not gonna find many better players at that position-if any- in FA. And good luck finding big players at the positions we need to spend that money on otherwise.

Pretty much the same applies to Bulaga. Yeah he's injured a lot, but when healthy you'd rather have him than anyone else on this team and who else are you signing with that level of play? I'd rather have an improving backup in Spriggs than an unknown starter in Spriggs.

Honestly, I cannot remember a big hit by Burnett ever. He's an arm tackler and not a great one. Other than Burnett's leadership skills, the guy simply is nothing more than a steady player. He kind of reminds me of the AJ Hawk of the team after Hawk left.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I cannot remember a big hit by Burnett ever. He's an arm tackler and not a great one. Other than Burnett's leadership skills, the guy simply is nothing more than a steady player. He kind of reminds me of the AJ Hawk of the team after Hawk left.

Ouch now there is a insult:S

10 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

My top 5 personnel moves are:

1. Sign Davante Adams to a contract

2. Sign Corey Linsley

3. Make a decent splash in free agency - there are a few really good DL available and perhaps take a run at Jimmy Graham. 

4. The new GM needs to draft smarter than TT who drafted way too much on need and less on talent han he claimed he did. High draft choice skilled positions are a need this year, especially WR, TE, and OLB. 

5. Cut all of the big costs palyers who have consistently under performed - Mathews and Bulaga come to mind. Cobb or Jordy come to mind. 

1. But at what cost? I have a gut feeling this one could get ugly. 

2. How much do you pay a center, when we weren't willing to pay our guards.

3. I like what you are thinking but what about Trey Burton? 

4. Agreed.

5. Matthew I'm hot and cold on, but if you cut him you better have a game plan in place. Bulaga, this one stinks because I think he's a heck of a football player when on the field, which is only half the time. Cobb's numbers have gone down, he difinately is on my cut list. Jordy, I'd have to take a thorough evaluation and see if he really is done or losing it? If yes then time to move on. We can't pay three recievers in the ten plus range and only have one produce. 

1 minute ago, cooters22 said:

1. But at what cost? I have a gut feeling this one could get ugly. 

2. How much do you pay a center, when we weren't willing to pay our guards.

3. I like what you are thinking but what about Trey Burton? 

4. Agreed.

5. Matthew I'm hot and cold on, but if you cut him you better have a game plan in place. Bulaga, this one stinks because I think he's a heck of a football player when on the field, which is only half the time. Cobb's numbers have gone down, he difinately is on my cut list. Jordy, I'd have to take a thorough evaluation and see if he really is done or losing it? If yes then time to move on. We can't pay three recievers in the ten plus range and only have one produce. 

We're talking about being void of talent, and now we're not wanting to spend money on the good players?  Mind boggling.  We're going to re-sign Adams, and it's not going to break the bank.

Given Linsley's up and down season, he's not going to break the bank.  And it's not that we aren't willing to pay our OGs, we just aren't going to pay them premium.  The contract the Packers offered was low on guarantees, the one the Lions offered was high.  That's the difference.

Is Trey Burton really any different than Lance Kendricks?

14 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Ouch now there is a insult:S

And utter garbage the all the way through.

Another on the list of guys who don't get sacks or INTs so casuals think they're crap.

I mean, no big hits either! Jeez. Guys junk. Dudes probably led the team the last 4 seasons all together in tackles, but just doesn't do them hard enough.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Fuller isn't going to get away from the Bears.  They've got over $47M in cap space, and Fuller is arguably their best secondary player.  Very little chance he leaves Chicago IMO.  And Ezekial Ansah will get franchise tagged assuming they can't get a deal done.  Vacarro is pretty much gone IMO, they were shopping him earlier in the year.

Vacarro would be a great replacement for Burnett in that S/LB spot.  Won't agrue the Fuller point.  I thought I heard that Ansah had fallen out of the Lions eyes, due to lack of production?

Archived