Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Of course we don’t know enough, it’s the beauty of being a fan.

What’s your opinion on the selection?

Probably seen him throw a ball 5 times so my opinion on the player is worthless. 

Personally, I like going QB. We've been down the plodder QB route and it's so boring. I'd rather have the trainwreck with the good picks that come with it at this point.

• Like 3

When you have a roster lacking at virtually every position group on the field, why do you take a low-ceiling QB with a premium pick? There are Bo Nixes in every draft and most can be had later than No. 12 overall. That's my beef with the pick.

I get the argument we needed a QB and Nix holds a lot of what Payton values, okay, that's fine, but is he a franchise altering talent? I don't think so. Sean is no doubt an elite offensive mind and very good head coach, so are you telling me we couldn't find a similar, if not identical, QB prospect next year or the year after? Or later this year? And Sean could coach him up and do so with a supporting of young, ascending players?

You can't listen to the cheerleading the local media is doing as they're either a) trying to pump up the fanbase and bring the causal fans back into the fold for their own business reasons, b) fawning over the pick to stay in the good graces of the organizational leadership to assure continued access, or c) both. The national media and other experts, and yes, I know, are not cheerleading this pick in the least as they don't have to worry about polishing apples or generating traffic. 

I said this last night but it bears repeating - Nix not a bad QB, he's not going to be a colossal bust, a la Paxton Lynch, but what's his ceiling? On what did we just spend the #12 overall pick? I see a guy who's floor is a 10-12 year reliable backup, Trevor Siemian for instance, and whose ceiling is a middle of the road starter, Derek Carr, maybe approaching Kirk Cousins in a peak season or two. In conference that has Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Stroud, Lamar, Herbert and Tua, all in their primes and on all teams with better rosters. And we're supposed to believe Nix is going to be our franchise savior?

• Like 1

Something Payton alluded to in the McAfee interview was how the Penix pick to ATL kinda screwed up any talk of a trade down. My initial thought was, ‘wow, he really was just taking whichever QB was available.’ But then he talked about how it seemed established among all the teams how MIN was getting JJ, we were getting Nix, and LV was taking Penix, and I think what he was actually saying was that all of a sudden Vegas was a wildcard with Penix off the board. Would *they* grab whichever QB was available, who now happened to be Payton’s guy? Is missing out on Nix worth the 3rd rounder you could net on a move back? 

I think it’s reasonable to not take that chance when you’re talking about your starting QB. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Probably seen him throw a ball 5 times so my opinion on the player is worthless. 

Personally, I like going QB. We've been down the plodder QB route and it's so boring. I'd rather have the trainwreck with the good picks that come with it at this point.

But if anything that makes this pick even worse as I don't think Nix will be that colossal bust who completely crashes and burns and we end up 3-14 with a top-3 pick and get to start over with a new FO and coaching staff. I see a middle of the road starter and unless we have a roster like the 49ers - one with All Pros at literally every positional unit on the field - the team's ceiling with Nix is a middle of the road team. Remember 2016 - we had a very good HC in Kubiak, a championship culture and an all-time great defense. We went 9-7 with Trevor Siemian, who could do all the things Kubes wanted out of a QB. Sound familiar?

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I get the argument we needed a QB and Nix holds a lot of what Payton values, okay, that's fine, but is he a franchise altering talent? I don't think so. Sean is no doubt an elite offensive mind and very good head coach, so are you telling me we couldn't find a similar, if not identical, QB prospect next year or the year after? Or later this year? And Sean could coach him up and do so with a supporting of young, ascending players?

As someone who worries about Sean Payton’s massive ego, I gotta tell ya, I’m pretty relieved to see he *didn’t* go this route. He already seems like the type to sniff his own farts, we don’t need that mindset to completely overtake his roster-building decision-making, too.

• Like 1

I don't want to put words in others mouths but I think where a lot of us stand on the QB position is that it's the only position on the roster that can't be average/solid. Any other position having an average/solid player (Oline, WR, Edge, CB, etc.) can be seen as a positive to the team. But at QB you have to have special. Dak Prescott is maybe a great example. He is a top 10 QB in this league but he isn't top 5 and that hasn't been close to enough to get the Cowboys to a Super bowl let alone a conference championship game. That's the worry with Nix. His physical tools aren't elite enough to be excited about him as a prospect at a position where elite is necessary especially in our conference. 

That is all based on the evaluations that we are able to do largely based on other peoples breakdowns, TV copies of games, etc. As we all know, the QB position is the one spot where the mind is probably the most important aspect of their game and that's the one aspect we as fans aren't able to assess. Here's to hoping he has the mind of Manning and makes us all foolish for doubting him. 

• Like 1

I’m not super familiar with the evolution of Oregons offense over the years, particularly if whether or not what Herbert was asked to do was similar to Nix. Do find it odd that we are writing off Nix based on the Oregon offense but not acknowledging the fact that Herbert has been pretty dang successful. They seem like relatively similar prospects aside from Herbert having an absolute cannon. 

7 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I don't want to put words in others mouths but I think where a lot of us stand on the QB position is that it's the only position on the roster that can't be average/solid. Any other position having an average/solid player (Oline, WR, Edge, CB, etc.) can be seen as a positive to the team. But at QB you have to have special. Dak Prescott is maybe a great example. He is a top 10 QB in this league but he isn't top 5 and that hasn't been close to enough to get the Cowboys to a Super bowl let alone a conference championship game. That's the worry with Nix. His physical tools aren't elite enough to be excited about him as a prospect at a position where elite is necessary especially in our conference. 

That is all based on the evaluations that we are able to do largely based on other peoples breakdowns, TV copies of games, etc. As we all know, the QB position is the one spot where the mind is probably the most important aspect of their game and that's the one aspect we as fans aren't able to assess. Here's to hoping he has the mind of Manning and makes us all foolish for doubting him. 

Bingo. The only thing exceptional in Peyton Manning’s physical profile was how accurately he threw the ball (and Nix has shown accuracy in spades, so that should be in there). Tom Brady could throw the ball really far, and dabbled with elite accuracy from time to time. Drew Brees, accurate. Phil Rivers, accurate. Kurt Warner, accurate. All these dudes were marginal athletes who could throw the ball accurately, and were incredibly intelligent on the field. 

Odds are, Bo Nix won’t be a guy like that. But to say he has no upside when we’ve seen guys just like him physically become hall of famers recently…it’s insane. If his brain is as elite as Payton seems to think…¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Man they’re trying hard to sell this pick with all the Mahomes comparisons.  

I didn’t listen to the entire press conference, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but listening to Payton/Paton it seems like they were locked in on taking a QB at #12.  By that I mean I didn’t get the vibe that Bo Nix was their guy all along, but they were going to take whichever of the 6 QBs that were still available.

It was a short excerpt, but Payton never mentioned Nix specifically, he always used “QB”.  

Ya he basically brings up a bunch of stats showing that Nix was their guy cause he was the most accurate of any QB, took the least sacks, and gets the ball out quit. I guess it could just be coaches speak but Sean legitimately sounded like he believes this is the most NFL rdy (starting day 1 reading between the lines) QB with a chance of being top5. Again maybe he sees something we don't. I guess time will tell

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

I’m not super familiar with the evolution of Oregons offense over the years, particularly if whether or not what Herbert was asked to do was similar to Nix. Do find it odd that we are writing off Nix based on the Oregon offense but not acknowledging the fact that Herbert has been pretty dang successful. They seem like relatively similar prospects aside from Herbert having an absolute cannon. 

Herbert has a significantly better arm, and I'd say he's also a better scrambler, though Nix isn't bad in this regard.

What Nix IS good at, undeniably, is avoiding sacks and making the cerebral play. That means he'll probably be a decent backup if he flames out (as was noted above). 

There are things to like about Nix's numbers in a vacuum. He improved each year across the board. He's extremely accurate. He protects the ball. But you have to wonder how the caliber of play in the Pac 12 impacts some of that (it's an awful conference defensively), and whether he really has a ton more upside. I could seem him, best case, being a Kirk Cousins-esque player trajectory wise. 

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

There's a video on allbrights twitter Tim Jenkins elite breaking down a russ offense running the concepts, and Nix in college running the concepts man does it get you excited. 

For reference:

Talks about some Bo traits around 3 minutes, actual breakdown starts at 5:30

Edit: I gotta say regardless of how high his ceiling might be, it genuinely made me smile seeing a dude who's not really going to have a problem with footwork, or staying in a pocket, or understanding of anticipatory throws (already better in these areas than Russ was or Drew before him). On the other side, it was truly painful reliving some of those Russ plays, especially that first one in here.

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1

We have seven picks left - one 3rd, one fourth, three fifths, a sixth and a seventh. 

How much movement do we expect? 

And who should we target? We’ve spent time with two guys I liked, and two I mocked us taking, in EDGE Mohammad Kamara and WR Luke McCaffrey. I would like to see us land both tomorrow. 

I’ve heard some buzz around the DL who got the DUI, Sweat? We still need a TE as Dulchich is always hurt and the rest are JAGs. 

There has also been some talk about trading Sutton but honestly with us having him under control for 2 more years and the most we can get would be a 5th, not sure I would move him. Nix is going to going to need all the help he can get and having a big WR who can win 50/50 balls regularly is a big safety net for a QB who is used to a one-read gimmick college offense.