Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We have seven picks left - one 3rd, one fourth, three fifths, a sixth and a seventh. 

How much movement do we expect? 

And who should we target? We’ve spent time with two guys I liked, and two I mocked us taking, in EDGE Mohammad Kamara and WR Luke McCaffrey. I would like to see us land both tomorrow. 

I’ve heard some buzz around the DL who got the DUI, Sweat? We still need a TE as Dulchich is always hurt and the rest are JAGs. 

There has also been some talk about trading Sutton but honestly with us having him under control for 2 more years and the most we can get would be a 5th, not sure I would move him. Nix is going to going to need all the help he can get and having a big WR who can win 50/50 balls regularly is a big safety net for a QB who is used to a one-read gimmick college offense. 

I gotta think weapons for Nix are a priority at this point 

• Like 1

Watching the Pa(y)ton presser from last night, and they were definitely locked in on Nix. Talking about flying to Nix’s home to tell him in person that they were drafting him, frustrated when guys like Chase Daniel or Dan Orlovsky went on TV and talked the kid up.

Another great soundbite is when Payton is asked about how he uses his QB under centre more than most coaches, and Nix having little experience there, how much transition is that for the player. Payton says, “that’s a transition for the coach.” That’s the good stuff.

3 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I don't want to put words in others mouths but I think where a lot of us stand on the QB position is that it's the only position on the roster that can't be average/solid. Any other position having an average/solid player (Oline, WR, Edge, CB, etc.) can be seen as a positive to the team. But at QB you have to have special. Dak Prescott is maybe a great example. He is a top 10 QB in this league but he isn't top 5 and that hasn't been close to enough to get the Cowboys to a Super bowl let alone a conference championship game. That's the worry with Nix. His physical tools aren't elite enough to be excited about him as a prospect at a position where elite is necessary especially in our conference. 

That is all based on the evaluations that we are able to do largely based on other peoples breakdowns, TV copies of games, etc. As we all know, the QB position is the one spot where the mind is probably the most important aspect of their game and that's the one aspect we as fans aren't able to assess. Here's to hoping he has the mind of Manning and makes us all foolish for doubting him. 

So, Nix physically has "threshold talent". He can do everything required of an NFL QB physically. 

As you mention, at this level it's what's between the ears. If he's truly special this could be a great pick. He's going into it with arguably the best coaching support and mentors in the NFL in Sean, Joe and Pete. We'll just have to see what happens and how quick he can learn to play the NFL game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, Nix physically has "threshold talent". He can do everything required of an NFL QB physically. 

As you mention, at this level it's what's between the ears. If he's truly special this could be a great pick. He's going into it with arguably the best coaching support and mentors in the NFL in Sean, Joe and Pete. We'll just have to see what happens and how quick he can learn to play the NFL game.

While I do have a great deal of respect for those three, let’s not go that far. There are pretty good staffs in places like KC, SF and LAR. 

Nix is going to have to learn to do a lot more than throw first read swing passes and screens against something other Swiss cheese defenses in the NFL. 

It sure seems like everyone is trying to talk themselves into this pick and I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t see Nix developing into much more than an above average starter. 

The good news is we’re likely to be picking in the top-10, or better, next year so we should be able to add some more decent talent. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Ya he basically brings up a bunch of stats showing that Nix was their guy cause he was the most accurate of any QB, took the least sacks, and gets the ball out quit. I guess it could just be coaches speak but Sean legitimately sounded like he believes this is the most NFL rdy (starting day 1 reading between the lines) QB with a chance of being top5. Again maybe he sees something we don't. I guess time will tell

I don't know where he got it from but my son was telling me Nix was third on our board.  I really don't agree with him being rated that high but am ok with the pick.  Just really happy we didn't trade up because I truly expected that.  

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While I do have a great deal of respect for those three, let’s not go that far. There are pretty good staffs in places like KC, SF and LAR. 

Nix is going to have to learn to do a lot more than throw first read swing passes and screens against something other Swiss cheese defenses in the NFL. 

It sure seems like everyone is trying to talk themselves into this pick and I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t see Nix developing into much more than an above average starter. 

The good news is we’re likely to be picking in the top-10, or better, next year so we should be able to add some more decent talent. 

I guess I'm counting a lot on Carmichael. He was Brees coach and mentor from the day Drew entered the NFL.  Hoping he can do the same again, but you know the saying about "lightning never striking twice in the same place".

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He definitely does have threshold talent but so do a lot of other QBs. That's what makes the evaluation of the position so difficult. You have to assess what you cant see, the mental side of playing the position. And even in your assessment, someone can be "textbook" smart in looking at a board and being able to tell you what they should do but then be "street" bad. And then you factor in the offense they play in. Did Nix throw short of the sticks because that's his tendency or because it was the scheme. Was the scheme in place because of the offensive philosophy or because of the limitations of the player? So many unknown factors that can make selecting a QB a random crapshoot. Players who show more in their tape at a younger age with the most consistency and have better physical profile end up getting picked sooner because you have more to work off of. 

Nix has threshold talent but there are a lot of questions about his tangible profile (physical tools, style of play, etc) that can be seen as negatives and ultimately why some are labeling him as having a low ceiling (true or not). It's up to Sean to assess if there are things he can do that he didn't get a chance to show, and if his mental aptitude is in the elite category for the position. 

Like you said, we'll have to see what happens. One thing is for sure, he has a ton of playing experience and should start right away. This isn't a Drake May situation where he has barely played the position. 

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I guess I'm counting a lot on Carmichael. He was Brees coach and mentor from the day Drew entered the NFL.  Hoping he can do the same again, but you know the saying about "lightning never striking twice in the same place".

Well...New Orleans is different than Denver; two completely different places.  So we are good.  

Does Carmichael get to eat free at Carmichaels in WashPark if it still exists?

Edited by jsthomp2007

3 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

One thing is for sure, he has a ton of playing experience and should start right away. This isn't a Drake May situation where he has barely played the position. 

They didn’t (over)draft him at 12 for him to sit, they have to start him right away unless he is completely abysmal in camp. He’s going to have to learn on the fly. Good news is we will find out early on if he’s “it” or not. We saw right away that CJ Stoud was going to be a star. We saw it right away with Burrow. In Mahomes first start, week 17 his rookie year against the Broncos, my dad texted me afterwards saying “I think we’re going to have to worry about KC, Mahomes looks like the real deal.” 

This isn’t a playoff or borderline playoff team who is trying to ease the kid in with the future in mind. At least three rookie QBs - Nix, Daniels, and Williams - will start week 1. The other 3 have the luxury of sitting and learning though I bet we see McCarthy starting before Thanksgiving. If for nothing other than PR, they have to start him. 

• Like 1

Anyways, moving on to round 3. We're still like 40 picks away from our next draft pick assuming we don't trade up. I would prefer we stand pat and see how things shake out but now that we have a QB, lets go all in on surrounding him with offensive pieces. 

I get the sense we're going to give Dulcich an opportunity to be healthy so I'm not expecting another receiving type TE this year. I'd love if we took a Harbaugh approach and double down on the O-Line. JPJ will likely be gone but maybe Sedrick Van Prann will be available. Zack Zinter in the 4th as insurance for Powers and Meinerz could be a good bet. We're very likely to take a WR at some point too. 

Defensively, we need so much talent everywhere but especially at D-line. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

He definitely does have threshold talent but so do a lot of other QBs. That's what makes the evaluation of the position so difficult. You have to assess what you cant see, the mental side of playing the position. And even in your assessment, someone can be "textbook" smart in looking at a board and being able to tell you what they should do but then be "street" bad. And then you factor in the offense they play in. Did Nix throw short of the sticks because that's his tendency or because it was the scheme. Was the scheme in place because of the offensive philosophy or because of the limitations of the player? So many unknown factors that can make selecting a QB a random crapshoot. Players who show more in their tape at a younger age with the most consistency and have better physical profile end up getting picked sooner because you have more to work off of. 

Nix has threshold talent but there are a lot of questions about his tangible profile (physical tools, style of play, etc) that can be seen as negatives and ultimately why some are labeling him as having a low ceiling (true or not). It's up to Sean to assess if there are things he can do that he didn't get a chance to show, and if his mental aptitude is in the elite category for the position. 

Like you said, we'll have to see what happens. One thing is for sure, he has a ton of playing experience and should start right away. This isn't a Drake May situation where he has barely played the position. 

I like this post. How soon he can start will be entirely dependent on how soon he grasps the scheme, plays, defensive recognition, etc. Brees, Mahomes, Brady............. it's a long list, all were able to sit a year behind a veteran before getting tossed in the fire. They were also all drafted on far, far better teams than what we have.

Curious how it plays out. At least the constant QBOTF discussion should wane for a few years. That in itself makes the pick worthy. I'm QB'd out.

George said in his presser that there was potential to trade back but do you wanna risk losing your guy for a couple of 5th round picks. That confirms my belief that we didn't get a big offer and 5 qbs going top 10 really was pushing talent down the board.

I'm also very happy that apparently Mcvay and daboll wanted Nix. These are top notch coaches other than Payton .

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

George said in his presser that there was potential to trade back but do you wanna risk losing your guy for a couple of 5th round picks. That confirms my belief that we didn't get a big offer and 5 qbs going top 10 really was pushing talent down the board.

I'm also very happy that apparently Mcvay and daboll wanted Nix. These are top notch coaches other than Payton .

On the first point I agree. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t still a massive reach. 

And DaBoll is a Patriot Way coach who has already lost his locker room and will be fired at, if not before, season’s end. He’s not a top notch coach by any stretch. There are probably 25 current HCs I would take before Daboll. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

On the first point I agree. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t still a massive reach. 

And DaBoll is a Patriot Way coach who has already lost his locker room and will be fired at, if not before, season’s end. He’s not a top notch coach by any stretch. There are probably 25 current HCs I would take before Daboll. 

He got a career year out of Daniel Jones two years ago with minimal weapons. He may not be a great head coach but I think he's a decent enough offensive mind. 

The % of first round qbs getting second contracts from original teams is 38% which is crazy low there's a lot of reaches at qb. 

• Like 1

Why are people saying he's a "threshold talent" or calling Nix out for average physical tools? There are plenty of reasons to doubt or dislike the pick but his physical prowess isn't one. 

He's 6'2" about 220 with a very strong arm (not in the Mahomes/Herbert/Allen level) with the ability to sling it off platform. Not Lamar Jackson but very mobile and someone you have to account for in the RPO game and can make chunk plays if you let him scramble.

I like him a decent bit more than McCarthy as far as tools are concerned.