Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While I do have a great deal of respect for those three, let’s not go that far. There are pretty good staffs in places like KC, SF and LAR. 

Nix is going to have to learn to do a lot more than throw first read swing passes and screens against something other Swiss cheese defenses in the NFL. 

It sure seems like everyone is trying to talk themselves into this pick and I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t see Nix developing into much more than an above average starter. 

The good news is we’re likely to be picking in the top-10, or better, next year so we should be able to add some more decent talent. 

This is where I am at.  I actually like Nix and liked him while he was at Auburn.  He’s always came across as a tough competitor to me.  I’ll be cheering for him to succeed as he seems like a high character person as well.

The issue I have is where we selected him.  I get it the Raiders probably would’ve taken him, but passing up on an elite TE prospect for a player who I find very similar to Andy Dalton is tough for me to wrap my head around.  Like Nix, Dalton started a bunch of games (50) was known for his ability to throw/run, take care of the ball.  Was a 24 year old rookie, and had high character.  He was selected 35th overall.  Dalton certainly had a good career and played on some good Bengals teams, but never won a playoff game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Why are people saying he's a "threshold talent" or calling Nix out for average physical tools? There are plenty of reasons to doubt or dislike the pick but his physical prowess isn't one. 

He's 6'2" about 220 with a very strong arm (not in the Mahomes/Herbert/Allen level) with the ability to sling it off platform. Not Lamar Jackson but very mobile and someone you have to account for in the RPO game and can make chunk plays if you let him scramble.

I like him a decent bit more than McCarthy as far as tools are concerned.

You just described threshold talent... we're on the same page. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

You just described threshold talent... we're on the same page. 

Kenny Pickett is a threshold talent. Teddy Bridgewater is a threshold talent. Sam Bradford was a threshold talent. I don't think you know what that word means. 

This feels like the Tim Tebow experiment all over again. People getting excited for a feel good story, but the team is still devoid of talent. So short sighted…I want all of our draft picks back…including the ones we traded for a HC.

Edited by The Helicopter
  • Like 1

Moving on from Nix, day 2 is typically my favorite day but clearly loses some luster when you don't have a second round pick.

BPA would be ideal but I would really like to see some defensive line help

55 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Why are people saying he's a "threshold talent" or calling Nix out for average physical tools? There are plenty of reasons to doubt or dislike the pick but his physical prowess isn't one. 

He's 6'2" about 220 with a very strong arm (not in the Mahomes/Herbert/Allen level) with the ability to sling it off platform. Not Lamar Jackson but very mobile and someone you have to account for in the RPO game and can make chunk plays if you let him scramble.

I like him a decent bit more than McCarthy as far as tools are concerned.

Let me clarify the "threshold talent" comment. It basically means he has all the physical tools required to do the job. In other words, he meets or exceeds all physical requirements/can make all the throws/etc. It's not a knock by any means.

It's a term I sort of stole from @broncos_fan _from _uk and I like it.

After that, the main requirements, leadership, mental processing, recognition, retention, etc are all mental aspects and much harder to quantify.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, germ-x said:

It is arguably the worst pick since Jarvis Moss and at least Moss had upside. 

Is this your Shock-Jock routine ??? Perhaps you know the next lottery numbers too.....c'mon, at least wait until he has a chace to do something in a Broncos uniform, geez

Posted (edited)

Nix isn’t special in any physical trait. He doesn’t have a weak arm but he doesn’t have a cannon, he can move well but he’s not Lamar Jackson, he has good size but he’s not Josh Allen or Andrew Luck. Those aren’t problems - he’s not physically lacking, he’s just not physically impressive.

He also checks a lot of other boxes - son of a coach, mature (a married man, wife is a cutie too, we don’t have to worry about a distracted bachelor enjoying the social component of being in the NFL), experienced, has had ups and downs and grown, seems committed to the sport, has clean medicals. 

All of what I wrote above is why I’ve said he won’t totally flame out; at very worst he proves a long term career backup/spot starter who plays in the league for 10+ years and retires with $100m in the bank. But, I also don’t see a player who can hit that elite status. 

If you asked me 23 years ago I’ve said the same about Drew Brees, and 25 years ago (when I watched him play in person at the Big House) about Tom Brady. But they were drafted #64 and #199 overall, respectively. They didn’t have the weight of franchise savior on their heads. 

I cannot say it enough, Nix played in a very simple offense in a conference that is power-5 in name only. That matters. Burrow isn’t a “wow” guy from a physical standpoint but he won a national championship coming out of the SEC.

Nix is a QB with whom this team, with a good roster and savvy coaching, can be competitive. But absent us hitting that inside straight - where Nix develops perfectly and we hit on a ton of picks - is it going to win a Super Bowl? 

If Sean and George can fill out the roster at a better than the mean level and we stay healthy, I can see this team being akin to the Griese/Plummer era Broncos - exciting, competitive, in the mix for and in the playoffs, but never a Super Bowl favorite.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Is this your Shock-Jock routine ??? Perhaps you know the next lottery numbers too.....c'mon, at least wait until he has a chace to do something in a Broncos uniform, geez

Hahaha it worked didn’t it?

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Nix isn’t special in any physical trait. He doesn’t have a weak arm but he doesn’t have a cannon, he can move well but he’s not Lamar Jackson, he has good size but he’s not Josh Allen or Andrew Luck. Those aren’t problems - he’s not physically lacking, he’s  just not physically impressive.

He also checks a lot of other boxes - son of a coach, mature (a married man, wife is a cutie too, we don’t have to worry about a distracted bachelor enjoying the social component of being in the NFL), experienced, has had ups and downs and grown, seems committed to the sport, has clean medicals. 

All of what I wrote above is why I’ve said he won’t totally flame out; at very worst he proves a long term career backup/spot starter who plays in the league for 10+ years and retires with $100m in the bank. But, I also don’t see a player who can hit that elite status. 

If you asked me 23 years ago I’ve said the same about Dew Brees, and 25 years ago (when I watched him play in person at the Big House) about Tom Brady. But they were drafted #64 and #199 overall, respectively. They didn’t have the weight of franchise savior on their heads. 

I cannot say it enough, Nix played in a very simple offense in a conference that is power-5 in name only. That matters. Burrow isn’t a “wow” guy from a physical standpoint but he won a national championship coming out of the SEC.

Nix is a QB with whom this team, with a good roster and savvy coaching, can be competitive. But absent us hitting that inside straight - where Nix develops perfectly and we hit on a ton of picks - is it going to win a Super Bowl? 

If Sean and George can fill out the roster at a better than the mean level and we stay healthy, I can see this team being akin to the Griese/Plummer era Broncos - exciting, competitive, in the mix for and in the playoffs, but never a Super Bowl favorite.

Agreed.  Best comparison I have for him is Andy Dalton who was taken 35th overall.  Their measurables coming into the NFL are almost identical.  Dalton had a good NFL career but he wasn’t in the Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

This feels like the Tim Tebow experiment all over again. People getting excited for a feel good story, but the team is still devoid of talent. So short sighted…I want all of our draft picks back…including the ones we traded for a HC.

Four #1's, three #2's and we have a HC, rookie QB and another $50 million or so of "dead cap.  I'm a bit underwhelmed.