Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

If McCarthy or Maye falls past 5 or 6, the Broncos will trade up for their guy. If they don't, we're trading back. Allbright (I know, I know) has implied that there's some agreement potentially in place already, which wouldn't be a shock. A few local guys have implied the same. I do not think we draft Nix at 12. 

I suppose the only way we stay at 12 is if a can't miss player is there. I'm thinking someone like one of the top WRs or Bowers. Should be an interesting night, that's for sure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I agree - billionaires by their nature are extremely conservative people - their biggest fear is losing what they have.

I suspect all of this would have been discussed with Payton before he was hired - because Payton didn't want Wilson - so a re-building plan would have been put in place from the off. I do think the mid-season win streak could have disrupted the plans somewhat and possibly pushed the plan for drafting a QB off for a year (unless they can drop 7/8 places and pick Nix - if Payton thinks he can get the job done).

Now Payton could say to the Walmarts - you hired me so trust me - and put together a blockbuster to move up - but I suspect that any trade up would have to include PS2 so that you don't have to mortgage all the picks from 3 drafts to get the QB. If they go for it this year then Payton's future (and reputation and legacy) will be determined by that decision - and that is a massive issue for any HC who wants to go down in the history books.

I said it the other day and you're hitting on the point - they have a plan and I'm sure the Walmarts are on board. I can't say it's the right plan, we don't know, but I do know there is a plan for the short, medium, and long term. Like you say, if Sean rolls the dice and moves up and gets "his guy" at QB and that guy busts, it's the end of Sean's career and he can kiss his gold jacket goodbye. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If McCarthy or Maye falls past 5 or 6, the Broncos will trade up for their guy. If they don't, we're trading back. Allbright (I know, I know) has implied that there's some agreement potentially in place already, which wouldn't be a shock. A few local guys have implied the same. I do not think we draft Nix at 12. 

I suppose the only way we stay at 12 is if a can't miss player is there. I'm thinking someone like one of the top WRs or Bowers. Should be an interesting night, that's for sure.

This is about where I come down. If Maye or McCarthy make it past the Giants at six, I think we will at least try to move up. I've seen a lot tying us to McCarthy (and of course Nix) but I've seen very, very little about Maye. I also think the surprise tonight could be Maye sliding a bit.

Now, it depends on what the Pats do at 3 - and I've heard some say that with Jonathan Kraft having a lot of influence, he's going to want the splashy move and get a QB - and then with whom do the Vikings trade? I've seen some mocks with the Pats moving down and then back up. And I do think you're right that the only way we stay at 12 and pick is if one of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze or Bowers are there. 

In short, I think it's very unlikely we actually make a pick at 12 tonight - we will either move up or move down. 

My goodness Lammey and the Nix hype it's insane. This morning he was saying he's going to be a star while Maye ends up a bust. I can see some boom/bust in Maye but my god his man crush on Nix - whose ceiling is what, Dak? but I digress - it's just to such a level you have to wonder. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My goodness Lammey and the Nix hype it's insane. This morning he was saying he's going to be a star while Maye ends up a bust. I can see some boom/bust in Maye but my god his man crush on Nix - whose ceiling is what, Dak? but I digress - it's just to such a level you have to wonder. 

As long as it's not at 12...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

As long as it's not at 12...

Interestingly, I had mocked the trade to Philly, 12 for 22, 50 and a 5th, with us grabbing Nix at 22 - and now it's popular around the web. I'm not taking credit, it was an obvious trade, but it, or something similar would be ideal. 

But, what would be cool about that trade is we would then have FOUR fifth-round picks, making a trade up to the late 3rd/early 4th pretty easy without sacrificing too many "darts."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Interestingly, I had mocked the trade to Philly, 12 for 22, 50 and a 5th, with us grabbing Nix at 22 - and now it's popular around the web. I'm not taking credit, it was an obvious trade, but it, or something similar would be ideal. 

But, what would be cool about that trade is we would then have FOUR fifth-round picks, making a trade up to the late 3rd/early 4th pretty easy without sacrificing too many "darts."

I wouldn't mind that.  Pick 50 should still net a pretty good player

I feel like there are more rumors about teams wanting to trade up this year than in years past. I've seen Philly and LAR with the most rumblings. Seems like there is a good amount of demand for CB/WR/OT. Excited for this thing to get started and praying for a trade down with big compensation (next year 1st?!?!) 

On 4/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, grizmo78 said:

Was curious who tends to be the most accurate mock drafter and found this link:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/accuracy/mock-drafts.php

Jody Smith, Charlie Campbell, and Sean Koerner usually seem pretty good. 

Jody Smith - Stay at 12 and take Byron Murphy (DT)

Charlie Campbell (I don't think he projects trades) - Stay at 12 and take Dallas Turner (OLB)

Still trying to find a way to figure out Sean Koerner's pick but i'll update this if I find it. Best I can find is he's expecting us to trade down with Bo Nix as a target. 

Edited by grizmo78

14 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I feel like there are more rumors about teams wanting to trade up this year than in years past. I've seen Philly and LAR with the most rumblings. Seems like there is a good amount of demand for CB/WR/OT. Excited for this thing to get started and praying for a trade down with big compensation (next year 1st?!?!) 

While I wouldn't say no to a first next year, that would be great, it would likely come from a contending team and thus we're hoping a QB gets a major injury early on, bumping that up into the top half, top-third of the draft. I'd rather have a second-plus this year, get us another top-60 player at a key position who can develop next year while we suck and be a cornerstone piece as we rebuild. Odds are we're going to have a higher pick next year than this year that can position us to get a game-changer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While I wouldn't say no to a first next year, that would be great, it would likely come from a contending team and thus we're hoping a QB gets a major injury early on, bumping that up into the top half, top-third of the draft. I'd rather have a second-plus this year, get us another top-60 player at a key position who can develop next year while we suck and be a cornerstone piece as we rebuild. Odds are we're going to have a higher pick next year than this year that can position us to get a game-changer. 

NFL standing are mostly unpredictable that I love the idea of taking the risk on a team underperforming and giving us better value than expected. The Rams went from 12-4 to 5-12 between 2021 and 2022. The Vikings went from 13-4 to 7-10 the past two years. You just never know. That said, there are some teams that you can assume are going to be great next year (Chiefs, 49ers, etc.) but there are some that you could argue are risky enough that you could hit the jackpot. Bills could regress, Tampa Bay, Ravens are always a Lamar injury away, the Eagles finished last year with a 1-5 record as some examples I'd be willing to take the 2025 1st over picks this year. That said, I'd be happy with picks this year too, especially if we end up taking a QB and want to get him immediate help.