Davis Suspended for 2 games

The Gnat

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am not blaming...just an observation.  And, why are you telling me what to do?  You don't know me.  You aren't my father.  That seems pretty asinine, to tell someone you don't even know what to do.  

It’s a terrible observation, one that isn’t even true. So again, get a clue. Next time you try and express an observation, know what you’re talking about first. 

The key to any punishment being an actual deterrent is that the punishment needs to be swift and sure

With the appeals process, its neither. And that's why it isn't the deterrent we hope it is.

Always reducing the punishment upon appeal takes too much of the bite out of it for it to be a truly effective measure

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The key to any punishment being an actual deterrent is that the punishment needs to be swift and sure

With the appeals process, its neither. And that's why it isn't the deterrent we hope it is.

Always reducing the punishment upon appeal takes too much of the bite out of it for it to be a truly effective measure

The idea of the NFL appeals process is you get a player to come in and admit they were wrong and screwed up so that the league will reduce the punishment. That way the player feels he got a fair shake and league can say "well we feel justified punishing him because he said he was wrong and showed contrition". 

The Gronk thing blew up so they made it one game and the NFL got to look tough for denying an appeal that was probably going to end where it ended anyways. 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:16 PM, Ketchup said:

No Adams didn’t take a blind side hit earlier in the year. He was held up by defenders and wasn’t going anywhere and Trevathan came in a launched himself into Adams head. Trying to blame the hits on Adams is the most asinine thing I’ve heard in a long time. Get a clue. 

You are supposed to be aware of your surroundings. You're supposed to worry about blockers in traffic. If you are angling for a runner, you are supposed to protect yourself. If you dont know how to do that, you are part of the problem.

I am not saying that is the case here. But if a player shows a pattern of opening himself up to crushing blindside blocks (and that was the the point he was making), his technique is part of the problem. He was errant in thinking this was the same situation. But he wasnt errant in his suggestion that someone who keeps getting blasted this way is part of the problem. There is nothing asinine about that.

Due to the other suspensions, this one had to be reduced to 1 game. But the NFL needs to seriously review their suspension system this offseason. I feel that this hit and the Trevathan one deserved to stand at 2, and the Gronk one should have been at least 1 week longer

54 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

You are supposed to be aware of your surroundings. You're supposed to worry about blockers in traffic. If you are angling for a runner, you are supposed to protect yourself. If you dont know how to do that, you are part of the problem.

I am not saying that is the case here. But if a player shows a pattern of opening himself up to crushing blindside blocks (and that was the the point he was making), his technique is part of the problem. He was errant in thinking this was the same situation. But he wasnt errant in his suggestion that someone who keeps getting blasted this way is part of the problem. There is nothing asinine about that.

It is asinine. They are ILLEGAL blind side blocks for a reason. Sure, players are supposed to keep their heads up and on a swivel but that doesn’t make it their fault for a player launching themselves directly into their head. If we are talking about a player getting concussed from legal, albeit vicious, hits, then that’s one thing but illiegal hits are illegal for a reason and that reason has nothing to do with the player that’s getting hit. 

I don't understand what this argument is even proving? Should Adams probably keep his head on a swivel a little more? Probably, but it really doesn't matter. Both of those hits were clearly illegal and could of been not done by Trevathon and Adams.

I get the argument he should be a little more aware of the surrounding, but that's just about as obvious as saying a QB shouldn't lead the receiver over the middle of the field. Both are going to eventually happen where a guy isn't ready for a hit and a QB will throw it over the middle of the field. (I realize this last part has nothing to do with Adams concussions)

16 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Due to the other suspensions, this one had to be reduced to 1 game. But the NFL needs to seriously review their suspension system this offseason. I feel that this hit and the Trevathan one deserved to stand at 2, and the Gronk one should have been at least 1 week longer

Can’t really disagree..

Just now, fretgod99 said:
16 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Can’t really disagree..

Maybe the appeal system needs a review as well, because you know that almost every suspension is overturned after that. 

On 12/21/2017 at 8:07 PM, Ketchup said:

It is asinine. They are ILLEGAL blind side blocks for a reason. Sure, players are supposed to keep their heads up and on a swivel but that doesn’t make it their fault for a player launching themselves directly into their head. If we are talking about a player getting concussed from legal, albeit vicious, hits, then that’s one thing but illiegal hits are illegal for a reason and that reason has nothing to do with the player that’s getting hit. 

He isnt to blame for being blasted with an illegal hit. But he is absolutely partially to blame for being blasted with a hit he wasnt looking for. Blindside hits (whether to the head or body, whether with hands or shoulders) are entirely avoidable if a player just doesn't lock onto the ball carrier. It's bad technique, period.

Better technique and smarter football minimizes the chance of being lit up.

Archived