1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

23 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I am really coming to hate the term "growth mindset." 

You may continue to dislike this term, but there’s also an outside possibility you will grow to like it!? It’s all about your mindset, really. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

You may continue to dislike this term, but there’s also an outside possibility you will grow to like it!? It’s all about your mindset, really. 

bad-man.gif

You're a bad man, A very bad man....

• Like 2

Some young QBs have it in them to start immediately and be successful in their rookie season.  

For McCarthy, I think the biggest obstacle will be making sure his footwork is corrected. It needs to be consistent, which it sounds like the team is heavily working on it.

Once he gets that figured out though, watch out!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the biggest obstacle will be making sure his footwork is corrected.

Agreed.  No other aspect of his game needs an immediate or remedial overhaul.  It's more a question of exploiting opportunities.  

In Michigan his #1 guy, Roman Wilson (taken at #84), was a reliable possession receiver, second to Rome Odunze in contested catch percentage, well ahead of the rest of the field.  Exactly what their offense needed.  McCarthy has never imagined anything like Justin Jefferson, who presents opportunities--early and late--that JJ will learn to anticipate.  J.J. will need to be more ambitious and aggressive in his reads, before and after the snap.  (N.B.:  This is a very first world "problem" to have!)

Lacking a power ground attack and overwhelming defense, the Vikings are not going to become Michigan.  McCarthy needs to become Minnesota.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Lacking a power ground attack and overwhelming defense, the Vikings are not going to become MichiganMcCarthy needs to become Minnesota.

are you saying fantasy footballers should buy stock in 3M...?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

It sounds like OTA's weren't too big for him, we'll see what news comes out of the next cycle of offseason work.

I don't put much stock in any camp until training camp. However, I just don't see McCarthy failing in the pros. I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 or even top 10 guy, but the combination of his environment, the coaching he will be receiving, and his work ethic will make it impossible for him to be a bust and I think his floor is a top 15 QB.

It feels like KOC, McCown, and Phillips are in total alignment with what information they will relay to JJ. It won't be one of those things where KOC tells him something, and McCown will tell him something contradictory which will effectively stop any progress in its tracks. That seems like a no-brainer, but you have to assume this happens more often than you think.

If you look at McCown's press conference from the other day, you will see that McCown provides tremendous insight into what to do in any given situation. I think the example he gave was when he attempted a specific pass in a particular scenario and it got picked off by Aqib Talib. When he teaches this to JJ, McCown can tell JJ what he would have and should have done differently to ensure JJ doesn't make that same mistake. The same goes for KOC since he was a QB too.

If JJ fails, it won't be because of incompetence from the Vikings and their coaching staff.   

I haven't felt this much positivity about the team in ages. It is always "someone else" who hits on a QB and I think we will finally be that someone else, especially with the addition of Turner also.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 or even top 10 guy, but the combination of his environment, the coaching he will be receiving, and his work ethic will make it impossible for him to be a bust and I think his floor is a top 15 QB.

The worst you can imagine him doing is being a top 15 QB in the league? If he is top 15 during his rookie contract, I think that would be an outstanding accomplishment. It's not easy to get into the top half of the league.

For now, I am just hoping McCarthy will be looking like he belongs in the league as a starting QB before the first two years of his contract are over.

A floor of top 15 seems like high expectations. That's a lot of pressure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

...the combination of his environment, the coaching he will be receiving, and his work ethic will make it impossible for him to be a bust and I think his floor is a top 15 QB.

i agree, a younger Kirk Cousins. who starts out in a more beneficial environment, and hopefully ascends more quickly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The worst you can imagine him doing is being a top 15 QB in the league? If he is top 15 during his rookie contract, I think that would be an outstanding accomplishment. It's not easy to get into the top half of the league.

For now, I am just hoping McCarthy will be looking like he belongs in the league as a starting QB before the first two years of his contract are over.

A floor of top 15 seems like high expectations. That's a lot of pressure.

Yes. If they are patient with him, which I fully expect, I personally don't see any way he isn't a top-half QB. He has been receiving elite coaching since he walked into the building. KOC had Kirk literally playing the best ball of his life, won games with Josh Dobbs who didn't know the playbook or his teammates' names, and had Nick Mullens throwing for 400 yards. 

He is throwing to the best receiver on the planet, one of the best #2 receivers in football, and a top 3 TE. He has a top 5 LT and a top 5 RT. I also think Josh McCown will be incredible for us and a humongous asset in JJ's progression. He has all the time in the world to really adapt to the speed of the NFL and at this point, I just have to trust the guys in charge and I fully do.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Really hoping the Vikings have him sit a whole year. Would only benefit him. Unless Darnold is hot garbage ofc. I just don’t see that happening here. 

I don’t care about taking advantage of the rookie contract the first year. That seems to be of huge importance to many fans.

They’ll probably start chanting his name Week 3 if Darnold doesn’t overly impress. I trust the coaches are smart enough to ignore them. Lol

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 6

445761750_122095187516341244_50804950506

I sure hope this photo was not at the most recent Wolves home game, what an embarrassing loss! 

Cool photo of the two though, hopefully Aaron Jones can stay fully healthy this year, I know I always hated when the Vikings went up against him because he was so hard to deal with and was so versatile coming out of the backfield catching the football.

• Like 1

I think that one thing people are getting wrong about McCarthy is that he is competing with Darnold for QB1. McCarthy is QB1 now he is simply competing with his readiness. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jofos said:

I think that one thing people are getting wrong about McCarthy is that he is competing with Darnold for QB1. McCarthy is QB1 now he is simply competing with his readiness. 

Nice way to put it!