Paul Guenther 2018 Defensive coordinator ?

Dashing202

34 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Ok let's stop talking about health here ... Foster isn't amazing everett sucks and Nicholson had one good game and never shown flashes ever since unless I'm missing something ??‍♂️ Our corners been healthy almost all season minus Norman and Everyone else on the D been healthy other than Allen and Phil Taylor .

manusky has had a good amount of players if NT really mattered to him he would of voiced to gruden and Allen about it , these guys aren't stupid as much as we would like to say they are but obviously they don't see NT as an important position .

that being said no excuses for Manusky and the cardinals O is awful probably the worst we played all year . 

Foster isn’t amazing, but he was a good leader, run defender and smart defender. His int on Goff vs the Rams sealed the game for us because of his preparation, intelligence and recognition. You just can’t find that anywhere.

Everret was supposed to be the Redskins #5 safety and just a special teamed but injuries and the Cravens situation forced him to a starting role, pouncing on him is ridiculous.

Nicholson has flashed every game he’s started. He made plays vs the Chiefs, Saints and other games, the problem was his shoulder kept getting hurt nearly every hit he delivered. He’s going to be a good safety - maybe great - if that shoulder gets fixed and stays right.

Except for Allen, Norman & Taylor? Those were only 3 of the most important parts of our defense man. Take the starting NT & best DL off any defense and that defense will be greatly affected.

Ioannidis broke his hand too buddy, he was our best interior pass rusher before that. Zach Brown has been playing through injury most of the year, Swearinger played through a hamstring injury early in the season too. 

Our defense has been inconsistent no doubt, but most of that is truly because of injuries to our best players. You can’t deny that fact. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Foster isn’t amazing, but he was a good leader, run defender and smart defender. His int on Goff vs the Rams sealed the game for us because of his preparation, intelligence and recognition. You just can’t find that anywhere.

Everret was supposed to be the Redskins #5 safety and just a special teamed but injuries and the Cravens situation forced him to a starting role, pouncing on him is ridiculous.

Nicholson has flashed every game he’s started. He made plays vs the Chiefs, Saints and other games, the problem was his shoulder kept getting hurt nearly every hit he delivered. He’s going to be a good safety - maybe great - if that shoulder gets fixed and stays right.

Except for Allen, Norman & Taylor? Those were only 3 of the most important parts of our defense man. Take the starting NT & best DL off any defense and that defense will be greatly affected.

Ioannidis broke his hand too buddy, he was our best interior pass rusher before that. Zach Brown has been playing through injury most of the year, Swearinger played through a hamstring injury early in the season too. 

Our defense has been inconsistent no doubt, but most of that is truly because of injuries to our best players. You can’t deny that fact. 

Nicholson is not that good idk why your saying he's gonna be good or great ? This dude will be out of the league due to mutiple injuries .

each game he had an injury now I'm not saying he's terrible or good but he's average which by the way we should adress the FS position .

yea turtle but there's other teams with injuries to like it isn't just THE REDSKINS it's the NFL .

norman eventually came back but either way Dunbar fuller and breeland aren't terrible.

Phil Taylor was important but still obviously we feel NT isn't important to us .

allen was ok he wasn't great tbh Lanier in his short stint so far with us shown more play making abilities and he's off the bench with 5 sacks already 

42 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Nicholson is not that good idk why your saying he's gonna be good or great ? This dude will be out of the league due to mutiple injuries .

each game he had an injury now I'm not saying he's terrible or good but he's average which by the way we should adress the FS position .

yea turtle but there's other teams with injuries to like it isn't just THE REDSKINS it's the NFL .

norman eventually came back but either way Dunbar fuller and breeland aren't terrible.

Phil Taylor was important but still obviously we feel NT isn't important to us .

allen was ok he wasn't great tbh Lanier in his short stint so far with us shown more play making abilities and he's off the bench with 5 sacks already 

Nicholson had a shoulder problem. It can probably be fixed and then he got a major concussion like Spaight did his rookie year, presumably both of those injuries will recover next year and he’ll be good to go. The reason I say he’s going to be good or great is because of his instincts and range from the FS position. It’s something we haven’t seen around here since Sean was here. Teams struggled to throw intermediate to deep when Nicholson was in the game, when he was out well you’ve seen what has happened since and in the other games he missed.

Nicholson missed the Minnesota game, we got burned. Look at the Saints 1st quarter vs what they did to our defense in the second half w/o Nicholson in there after he got his concussion. Our deep safety coverage was night and day and the reason was primarily because of him. Look at our deep pass coverage ever since the first quarter of that saints game, it’s gone way downhill without Nicholson!

Reading the rest, I don’t even know what to say honeslty. Those opinions are way off base with the actual truth and what every expert and most knowledgeable Redskins fans know about Norman’s injury and how it affected him, what Allen did for our defensive front and how much better a healthy Taylor was going to be over an undersized Ziggy Hood.

Yes, Lanier has been great as a nickle pass rusher, but he’s not the elite DE/DT that Allen is in every aspect. Allen was our best run defender, took on and often times beat double teams which freed up Ioannidis and everyone else to go one on one. 

I love Lanier but he’s a one trick pony right now. Of course he’s expectional as an interior rusher, but Allen is that as well as an elite run defender.

I do agree we need to draft a NT early in the draft. I’d love to have Vita or Payne. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well except for when the defense was healthy to start the season and vs Seattle and Arizona right? 

I actually see him do a lot of different things, he dose all kinds of blitzes but I agree I wish he’d do some more safety and corner blitzes. I also wish we’d put our 3 best pass rushers on the field together on 3rd & Long (Kerrigan, Galette & Smith) 

When it was healthy, he could get away with it. Healthy Norman, Allen, and Nicholson make a 4 man rush possible, along with taking away a number 1 receiver. And, frankly, Seattle has a bad offensive line and Arizona had Gabbert at QB.

Manusky has only recently started blitzing, and even then sparingly. It's obvious that Norman isn't 100%. Safety help has deteriorated greatly, Allen is gone and Ioannidis is doing his best, but the giant club of a hand isn't helping. Brown is getting exposed in coverage. You can't keep rushing four guys and expecting to not be picked apart. And that's what opposing teams are doing. 

Like I said, probably a great position coach, but is struggling to be a DC. Maybe he can make the adjustment. Maybe not. But I don't think he's going to get a chance one way or another.

19 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

That doesn't make him a good DC because of 2 games 

that can be said with Jim Haslett and Barry they both had a good game atleast once but there fired and Manusky although he's an upgrade is next .

arizona game doesn't mean anything before that we where allowing 30 ppg , Manusky plays to soft at times and Jim Schwartz  is the opposite he will blitz u all day and will play tight .. if we had him our D would be outstanding but we play as if our D has no talented players at all 

It was more than 2 games. Our D played well when healthy early in the year. 

We allowed 30 points to two of the best offenses in the nfl and were holding the saints down until the last few minutes when our O couldn’t get a few first downs to keep our defense off the field. Also, we lost Nicholson and after we did our deep pass D got worse.

Schwartz didn’t have to deal with the equivalent of Fletcher Cox, Malcom Jenkins and a player like Norman get hurt. You can’t just ignore how much better our D played when Allen, Nicholson and Norman were healthy.

I don’t know about you, but when I see a player blow an assignment on the field, miss a tackle or drop an int, I blame the player not the coach. 

They're not going to get rid of Manusky after just one season, especially because the main reason the D got worse the second half of the year was because of injury.

On top of Paul Guenther who looks like he will test the waters , so will Gus Bradley , he only signed a one year deal . Jay loves both. Be interesting to see. Of course Bruce loves Bradley also so there is that 2.

jsteelz twitter 

take it for what it's worth . I'd take Gus Bradley .

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

On top of Paul Guenther who looks like he will test the waters , so will Gus Bradley , he only signed a one year deal . Jay loves both. Be interesting to see. Of course Bruce loves Bradley also so there is that 2.

jsteelz twitter 

take it for what it's worth . I'd take Gus Bradley .

I would not change defensive coordinator’s after one season. Our defense looked average the first month of the season and great in the Oak game when everyone was healthy. 

I seriously doubt Manusky is getting fired. In fact I’d put my $ down that he isn’t gone until Jay is gone. As Lavar says, I don’t think Jay gets to fire and hire another defensive coordinator. Meaning, the whole staff is gone next time, not just the defensive staff.

It’s not realistic to expect the Redskins to move on from their D coordinator again under Gruden. Especially given the injuries and lack of depth. Manusky will get at least 1 more year.

Remember, Manusky was brought in to coach LBs during Berry’s tenure. Then he was elevated to D coordinator once Berry was fired. No chance they give him a lesser role and bring in a new guy.

15 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

It’s not realistic to expect the Redskins to move on from their D coordinator again under Gruden. Especially given the injuries and lack of depth. Manusky will get at least 1 more year.

Remember, Manusky was brought in to coach LBs during Berry’s tenure. Then he was elevated to D coordinator once Berry was fired. No chance they give him a lesser role and bring in a new guy.

It doesn't matter at this point anyway. Next year is all Gruden will get. If we don't make the playoffs he's gone. If Kirk leaves and this team bombs everybody is gone. So unless some miracle happens where Kirk returns, our team stays healthy and we draft a stud back and make the playoffs this is about the end of the rope for the staff currently in charge. 

By keeping Jay and Bruce we're simply delaying the inevitable. 

Archived