LT Donald Penn out for season with foot injury

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

To an extent, yes.  But on the flip side, he reported to camp without a new contract.  Then Reggie rewarded him for it.  It shows players in and outside of the building that we reward guys and are willing to work with them if they're willing to work with us.

Only because he was promised that he would get a deal if he did. He held out, cost his team valuable time in getting the oline ready and was rewarded.

Just now, NightTrainLane said:
6 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

To an extent, yes.  But on the flip side, he reported to camp without a new contract.  Then Reggie rewarded him for it.  It shows players in and outside of the building that we reward guys and are willing to work with them if they're willing to work with us.

Only because he was promised that he would get a deal if he did. He held out, cost his team valuable time in getting the oline ready and was rewarded.

I don't understand what you mean thats different than the second half of what I said. Can you be more specific?  I think the move was to show we reward our players who play well and was something we can point to in the future when guys are thinking of holding out. "We gave Penn a fair deal even after he was old because he reported to camp and met us in the middle"

33 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I don't understand what you mean thats different than the second half of what I said. Can you be more specific?  I think the move was to show we reward our players who play well and was something we can point to in the future when guys are thinking of holding out. "We gave Penn a fair deal even after he was old because he reported to camp and met us in the middle"

The difference is your looking at his actions in a positive light and I'm not.

He cost his team and forced the FO to pay. I didn't like the holdout then I don't like the new deal now. I hope we draft a replacement and stop having to deal with this dude signing a deal and then the next year acting like it means nothing because someone else got more. Has happened 3 years in a row.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:07 PM, Chali21 said:

The Raiders should have been looking towards the post penn era for a year already. 

Two years. They've put off taking a LT for too long, and depending on if you are enamored of Newhouse, Alexander, or Sharpe, put off RT for too long as well. I know we still have spots on defense that need addressing, but our first pick (AGAIN) should be LT (given that we aren't passing on a better prospect at another position, of course).

8 hours ago, SuedeStonn said:
On 20/12/2017 at 4:07 AM, Chali21 said:

The Raiders should have been looking towards the post penn era for a year already. 

Two years. They've put off taking a LT for too long, and depending on if you are enamored of Newhouse, Alexander, or Sharpe, put off RT for too long as well. I know we still have spots on defense that need addressing, but our first pick (AGAIN) should be LT (given that we aren't passing on a better prospect at another position, of course).

Not sure it's as urgent as all that. I argued for the past two seasons that we should be looking at taking an LT in the top 3 rounds but in hindsight was wrong. Penn has been excellent and very durable until this injury and the tackles I proposed haven't set the NFL alight. This all depends upon how Penn comes back and if he's fit as I'm sure he intended to play out his new 2 year contract. If Penn is fit then I don't think it's critical that we take a tackle in the first round but I do think we should look at taking a tackle in the first few rounds to supplement what we have. We also should look at what FA tackles could be available in 2019 too. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not sure it's as urgent as all that. I argued for the past two seasons that we should be looking at taking an LT in the top 3 rounds but in hindsight was wrong. Penn has been excellent and very durable until this injury and the tackles I proposed haven't set the NFL alight. This all depends upon how Penn comes back and if he's fit as I'm sure he intended to play out his new 2 year contract. If Penn is fit then I don't think it's critical that we take a tackle in the first round but I do think we should look at taking a tackle in the first few rounds to supplement what we have. We also should look at what FA tackles could be available in 2019 too. 

Here's the thing about players in the NFL not named Tom Brady, players often time fall of a cliff towards the end of their careers. Penn can look really good and then totally bad. I think this season has been a warning or a harbinger of whats to come. Penn has allowed like a sack all season, Id hate to see how poor Carr plays when Penn breaks down. Well these last two games will reveal much and more of the post Penn era.

Archived