Two NFL teams merging together?

Johnny Nix

Would two struggling NFL teams ever consider merging to form a more competitive one? Take the Bengals and Browns for instance. Could they merge and form a new team and still keep all their players into the offseason until they were forced to cut down to 53? I know this hasn’t been historically done for some time, but is it even a possibility in today’s NFL? I’d imagine it would be up for a league owner vote (would be shocked if it actually went through), and the NFL would probably want another expansion team to be lined up to take the place of the 32nd team. Thoughts?

I can't see it happening. But the only time I think could, would not be on poor on field performance, but poor off field. And even then I think they would move not merge.

The Chargers merging with the Rams is the only situation I think you even have a 0.001% chance of being considered, and that's because the NFL can't live with the Chargers playing 16 away games each year because they have such weak support in LA, and it might be more palatable to merge and create an expansion team than move them again within 10 years

It’ll never happen, but for fun, I’ll look at the two worst teams (record wise) - the Browns and Giants. 

QB: Eli, Geno

RB: D Johnson, Crowell

WR: OBJ, Gordon, Shepard, Coleman

TE: Engram, Njoku

LT: J Thomas

LG: Joel Bitonio

C: Richburg

RG: Zeitler

RT: Pugh/Schwartz

DE: Garrett

DT: Snacks

DT: Shelton/Tomlinson

DE: JPP/Vernon

OLB: Collins

MLB: Goodson

OLB: Kennard 

CB: Jenkins, McCourty, BBC, DRC, Apple

S: Collins

S: Kindred

Having Spags/Jackson as the coaches would be the real issue here. Playing up to their talent, this could be a playoff team though. 

3 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Would two struggling NFL teams ever consider merging to form a more competitive one? Take the Bengals and Browns for instance. Could they merge and form a new team and still keep all their players into the offseason until they were forced to cut down to 53? I know this hasn’t been historically done for some time, but is it even a possibility in today’s NFL? I’d imagine it would be up for a league owner vote (would be shocked if it actually went through), and the NFL would probably want another expansion team to be lined up to take the place of the 32nd team. Thoughts?

the Clevenatti Bro-gals.

like it!

better than getting a 33rd team anyway.

the expansion team would need to go into the afc north, otherwise we'd need realignment.

could be a good opportunity to bring a canadian team into the nfl.

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’ll never happen, but for fun, I’ll look at the two worst teams (record wise) - the Browns and Giants. 

QB: Eli, Geno

RB: D Johnson, Crowell

WR: OBJ, Gordon, Shepard, Coleman

TE: Engram, Njoku

LT: J Thomas

LG: Joel Bitonio

C: Richburg

RG: Zeitler

RT: Pugh/Schwartz

DE: Garrett

DT: Snacks

DT: Shelton/Tomlinson

DE: JPP/Vernon

OLB: Collins

MLB: Goodson

OLB: Kennard 

CB: Jenkins, McCourty, BBC, DRC, Apple

S: Collins

S: Kindred

Having Spags/Jackson as the coaches would be the real issue here. Playing up to their talent, this could be a playoff team though. 

Christian Kirksey >>>>> Devon Kennard 

this is why you arent a billionaire.

people are still dumb enough in both cities to go to games because they are fat and have nothing better to do.

theres no need to merge till people wise up and dont go at all.

its about expansion,not contraction. they sent the Cards and Jaguars to europe lol people are so dumb,that they went to those games. No merging teams is needed

Archived