NFL General - Steelers Forum

steelcurtain29

The reason I like the Ridley and Hunter signings so much is because it increases the chances of us having a more defense focused draft. Not that I would be shocked to see us foolishly draft a running back early, but I think this improves the chances of that not happening... At least marginally.

16 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The reason I like the Ridley and Hunter signings so much is because it increases the chances of us having a more defense focused draft. Not that I would be shocked to see us foolishly draft a running back early, but I think this improves the chances of that not happening... At least marginally.

I think you’re going to be very disappointed...I Think they go some sort of offensive skill position within the 1st 3 rounds...WR IMO most likely.

4 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I think you’re going to be very disappointed...I Think they go some sort of offensive skill position within the 1st 3 rounds...WR IMO most likely.

If they think the defense that just got destroyed by Blake Bortles is good enough to win a championship, then by all means, draft a 4th string wide receiver. Clearly a bigger need.

42 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If they think the defense that just got destroyed by Blake Bortles is good enough to win a championship, then by all means, draft a 4th string wide receiver. Clearly a bigger need.

You know as well as anybody on here the steelers don’t draft for the current year...

Truthfully...save for ILB and maybe S and NT...a rookie isn’t going to start day 1 anyways.

55 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

So should we pass a superior talent just to satisfy the the desire to have an "all defensive draft".

If all picks are created equal, sure -- pick only the positions or side of the ball that you need. But that's not how this works.

I too want an all defensive draft, especially in the top 3 picks, but I am not incline to think that its smart business to only choose that side of the ball because I want to. Give me the best talent relative to our needs, but give me superior talent over just a positional pick. 

The Steeler's kryptonite last year was power running teams.  They could not stop them.  Even selling out to stop the run they could not stop them.  A OLB that can set the edge ( Carter or Hubbard) and or a decent run stuffing DT ( Settle or Ford) would be the biggest help and would be starting by November.

That being said, ILB has a large hole of talent.  Safety has fallen back with the acquisition of Burnett.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

The Steeler's kryptonite last year was power running teams.  They could not stop them.  Even selling out to stop the run they could not stop them.  A OLB that can set the edge ( Carter or Hubbard) and or a decent run stuffing DT ( Settle or Ford) would be the biggest help and would be starting by November.

That being said, ILB has a large hole of talent.  Safety has fallen back with the acquisition of Burnett.

Trying to not beat a dead horse but  it’s why I see Payne as being a possibility in the 1st.

24 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Trying to not beat a dead horse but  it’s why I see Payne as being a possibility in the 1st.

Maybe. They could use him as the 2 down 3-4 NT and/or a 4-3 DT in "Sub-packages". I wouldn't put a 1st Rd grade on that role but that doesn't mean the FO won't. Also, if Evans and LVE are gone (whom they seem to like) perhaps Payne is higher on their board then Harrison/Reid/Bates. Everything hinges on Evans and LVE's availability IMO.  

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

So should we pass a superior talent just to satisfy the the desire to have an "all defensive draft".

If all picks are created equal, sure -- pick only the positions or side of the ball that you need. But that's not how this works.

The term "superior talent" is both relative and subjective. 

If there is some glaring disparity in talent between a WR and the next players on their board....so be it, but that is an extreme example.

We are in "win now" mode.   You draft differently in "win now" mode than you draft, say....when you have a young franchise QB.   If Ben were 26 instead of 36, I would be more inclined to agree with you.  

He is 36.   His (and our ) window is closing.     You dont draft for the future in win now mode....you draft to fill your most immediate needs.

If we arent going to do that, then lets just draft our QB, RB and WR in the first 3 rounds and completely ignore our defense, just so we can set up our future offense.

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Give me the best talent relative to our needs, but give me superior talent over just a positional pick. 

Spending an early pick on a 4th WR is not what I would classify as a "need"....but to each their own, I suppose. 

7 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

You know as well as anybody on here the steelers don’t draft for the current year...

And, based on our current situation, thats a big problem.

Like I said....this team is in "win now" mode.

If they are drafting for the future, they are a bunch of idiots.

People can bash me for that....I dont care.     I dont pretend to have all the answers, because I dont....but what I do have is strong common sense, and that common sense tells me that, when you are trying to WIN NOW, you focus on fixing issues that can help you WIN NOW....not drafting to set the team up 3 years down the road.

And before someone (not you AFF) brings up that a WR could get hurt.....well, you can apply that logic to every single position.    

Bottom line....Im not a fan of a drafting a 4th WR early when we need upgrades to starters at several positions on defense.

If they means, say....picking an OLB ranked 80 on our big board over a WR ranked 71.....so be it.

7 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Truthfully...save for ILB and maybe S and NT...a rookie isn’t going to start day 1 anyways.

Start?   Maybe not....but that doesnt mean they wouldnt play alot.     Our first 3 picks of 2016 all played a ton as rookies..

12 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I think a OLB that can set the EDGE is really needed more than a NT.  It pained me for the Bears and the Jags games that Harrison did not play.

And the WR class this year is weak ( a'la 2006)  I see very little difference between the 3rd round and the 5 round Wr.  I think there is a good chance that no WR get drafted in the 1st round.

Looking for that #4 WR, they can wait until the 5th round.  If they want a #3 WR for next year I would guess they draft him in the 2nd round.  I see 5-6 WR that could go in the 2nd round.  After Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown, I would wait until the 5th round.  Even St. Brown would  go in the 3rd round in a normal WR draft.

I still do not see the need for a TE but the class is as deep as I have ever seen.

35 minutes ago, jebrick said:

And the WR class this year is weak ( a'la 2006)  I see very little difference between the 3rd round and the 5 round Wr.  I think there is a good chance that no WR get drafted in the 1st round.

Looking for that #4 WR, they can wait until the 5th round.  If they want a #3 WR for next year I would guess they draft him in the 2nd round.  I see 5-6 WR that could go in the 2nd round.  After Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown, I would wait until the 5th round.  Even St. Brown would  go in the 3rd round in a normal WR draft.

I still do not see the need for a TE but the class is as deep as I have ever seen.

Completely agreed with all of this.

Beyond that, Tomlin has already stated that Eli Rogers will probably be back if he recovers from his ACL surgery.    Obviously, Rogers is nothing special, but he is a more than capable as a number 4 WR.   And I doubt they would pass on a WR they really liked....but it should be a WR they like LATER in the draft.     

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Spending an early pick on a 4th WR is not what I would classify as a "need"....but to each their own, I suppose. 

You wanna re-read the part where you quoted me on this and try again? I'd like to know where at any point I was saying a WR was a position of need...

Seems you read that part to fit your narrative. 

Archived