53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

On 4/28/2024 at 11:45 PM, HeresAGuy said:

Gonna be tough as hell for UDFAs to make this roster.

There will be opportunities. Jennings and Bowden both have a very good chance which would give us 2 if they both make it which is probably slightly higher than normal. The fact people are putting 3 QBs, all of the late round picks and players like Dubose on the roster indicates there is plenty of room for any UDFAs who take their chance. 

There are no glaring holes with this roster though now unless you count LS. 

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Jaire Alexander, in his 7th year is the 4th most experienced player on the Packer roster. Preston Smith, 10 years, Kenny Clarke 9 years and Eric Wilson 8 years, are the only players with more experience. Clarke is only 28 and Alexander is only 27. 

Preston Smith is the only player in his 30's at 31. WOW! 

Green Bay Packers 2023 NFL Roster - ESPN

A healthy, happy, focused and skillfully employed Jaire would shift our defense markedly to the plus side. Maybe it’s the games and seasons lost to injury that cause me to be so surprised that year number seven is coming up for him. 

On 5/4/2024 at 6:28 PM, CWood21 said:

Early predictions.

QB: Jordan Love / Sean Clifford / Michael Pratt [3/3]
RB: Josh Jacobs / AJ Dillon / Marshawn Lloyd [3/6]
WR: Christian Watson / Romeo Doubs / Dontayvion Wicks / Jayden Reed / Bo Melton / Malik Heath [6/12]
TE: Luke Musgrave / Tucker Kraft / Tyler Davis / Ben Sims [4/16]
OL: Rasheed Walker / Elgton Jenkins / Josh Myers / Sean Rhyan / Zach Tom / Jordan Morgan / Jacob Monk / Donovan Jennings / Travis Glover [9/25]

DT: Kenny Clark / Devonte Wyatt / TJ Slaton / Colby Wooden / Karl Brooks [5/30]
EDGE: Rashan Gary / Preston Smith / Lukas Van Ness / Kingsley Enagbare [4/34]
LB: Quay Walker / Edgerrin Cooper / Ty'Ron Hopper / Isaiah McDuffie / Eric Wilson [5/39]
CB: Jaire Alexander / Carrington Valentine / Keisean Nixon / Corey Ballentine / Eric Stokes / Kalen King [6/45]
S: Xavier McKinney / Javon Bullard / Evan Williams / Kitan Oladapo / Anthony Johnson Jr. [5/50]

ST: Anders Carlson / Daniel Whelan / Matt Orzech [3/53]

Bold are my roster locks.  By my count, the Packers have 28 roster locks.  I'd put all those in italicized as highly likely (85%+ confidence) that they'll be on the roster come opening day, which would put them at 39 virtual or guaranteed roster locks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Bold are my roster locks.  By my count, the Packers have 28 roster locks.  I'd put all those in italicized as highly likely (85%+ confidence) that they'll be on the roster come opening day, which would put them at 39 virtual or guaranteed roster locks.

That looks really accurate, CWood.  I like the roster, and I think your predictions are really good.  

Certainly there will be opportunities for others.   I always think "Man, our roster is so good, we're going to need to cut some good prospects".  But injuries always clear a handful of spots for guys not on your list.  And some of these guys could easily slide to practice squad (Glover, Pratt, Sims, Jennings, King).

I usually tend to assume the roster will be a little more skewed towards defense?  Maybe instead of 25/25 O/D, 24/26?  Defensive guys maybe better suited to ST?  Swap Glover or Jennings to PS, and maybe add Cox back onto the roster?   I'd also not be surprised to swap the other of Glover or Jennings to the PS, and keep one more of the veteran linemen from the Jones/Tenuta/Telford crowd?  

Edited by craig

QB | Love - Clifford - Pratt [3]
RB | Jacobs - Lloyd - Dillon - Wilson [4]
TE | Musgrave - Kraft - Sims [3]
WR | Watson - Doubs - Reed - Wicks - Melton - Heath [6]
OL | Morgan - Jenkins - Myers(C) - Rhyan - Tom - Walker - Monk - Dillard [8]

OFFENSE: 24

S | McKinney - Bullard - Williams - Oladapo - Johnson [5]
CB | Alexander - Stokes - Valentine - Ballentine - Nixon - King [6]
LB | Walker - McDuffie - Cooper - Hopper - Welch [5]
EDGE | Preston - Gary - Van Ness - Enagbare - Cox [5]
DT | Clark - Wyatt - Slaton - Brooks - Wooden [5]

DEFENSE: 26

ST | Carlson - Whelan - Bowden [3]

I expect to see lots of 4-2-5 packages with an extra Safety in coverage or Hopper playing the dimebacker role we thought Tariq Carpenter could be - Greg Cossell has outlined that Hopper is great at "green-dogging." CB's will be asked to press more frequently while the Safeties will be expected to "erase things" as Hafley hinting towards in McKinney's press conference. "Erasing things" could involve a 3rd Safety or possibly Quay/Cooper(whichever isn't blitzing) covering the ground between the hashes. I also went with 6 CB's simply because I don't trust Stokes to stay healthy. I suspect we'll stash a player on PUP or some other list where we could bring them off if/when Stokes goes down; my vote is Trente Jones or Tyler Davis.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, R T said:

The more I think about it, I think that 4 RB's is a strong possibility for the 53, barring injury to the top 4 in the preseason. 

Depending on how they use Dillon I would agree. If he's only going to be used as a tailback, then 3 plus dudes on the practice squad. If he's going to play some FB/H-back I would agree. 

7 hours ago, R T said:

The more I think about it, I think that 4 RB's is a strong possibility for the 53, barring injury to the top 4 in the preseason. 

I'd put it at slightly above 0% chance that we carry 4 RBs.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put it at slightly above 0% chance that we carry 4 RBs.

It may end up being 3, but to say 'slightly above 0% chance' I would say you haven't been paying attention. Both Gutes and MLF often give very subtle hints, but many people miss them because they have their own preconceived notions. MLF talks about his RB's from about the 2:00 minute mark to 3:30 minute mark. 

Edited by R T

3 minutes ago, R T said:

It may end up being 3, but to say 'slightly above 1% chance' I would say you haven't been paying attention. Both Gutes and MLF often give very subtle hints, but many people miss them because they have their own preconceived notions. MLF talks about his RB's from about the 2:00 minute mark to 3:30 minute mark. 

The last time the Packers carried 4 "RBs" on the roster was 2020 when they rostered Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, AJ Dillon, and Tyler Ervin.  And I'd argue that Ervin made the roster less as a RB, and more as a RB/WR/ST guy.  The last time the Packers carried 4 RBs was 2017 if you include Ty Montgomery as a RB.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2012 was the last time the Packers carried 4 traditional RBs on the initial 53 man roster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The last time the Packers carried 4 "RBs" on the roster was 2020 when they rostered Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, AJ Dillon, and Tyler Ervin.  And I'd argue that Ervin made the roster less as a RB, and more as a RB/WR/ST guy.  The last time the Packers carried 4 RBs was 2017 if you include Ty Montgomery as a RB.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2012 was the last time the Packers carried 4 traditional RBs on the initial 53 man roster.

That doesn't sound like 0% chance of it happening.

No one is going to claim Wilson. Cut him, sign him to the PS, and pull him up 4 times in the first 4 weeks if you really want but there's almost no reason outside of injury to keep him on the 53. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

No one is going to claim Wilson. Cut him, sign him to the PS, and pull him up 4 times in the first 4 weeks if you really want but there's almost no reason outside of injury to keep him on the 53. 

Yeah, if RB4 is supposed to be Wilson, I feel like GB would be quite safe exposing him to waivers, then signing him to the PS. While I agree with the general idea that GB values RB's more than many teams, I'm not seeing a 4th RB who warrants a spot on the 53.