How much stock do you put into the Jags?

mdonnelly21

4 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

So we agree then that if Pit/Ne win, it will be on the heels of their defenses, not offenses?

It will be both. I think the better balanced team matters more than who has the better defense. I think typically when it's purely a strong offense vs a strong defense, that's where the defense makes its bread and butter. But I'd rather have a top 5 defense and a top 5 offense face the best defense in the league with maybe a fringe top ten or even mid level offense. 

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The Jaguars are the #6 scoring offense and #6 yardage offense in football. Where is this “unbalanced” nonsense coming from?

We've only played the Steelers according to most which in turn means everything we've done means zilch.

Just ridiculous how some of these conclusions are being come to.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The Jaguars are the #6 scoring offense and #6 yardage offense in football. Where is this “unbalanced” nonsense coming from?

No one said they weren't....

However the Patriots are 4th in ppg for offense and 6th for ppg in defense. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

However the Patriots are 4th in ppg for offense and 6th for ppg in defense. 

So what is this about?

38 minutes ago, lancerman said:

But I'd rather have a top 5 defense and a top 5 offense face the best defense in the league with maybe a fringe top ten or even mid level offense. 

Fringe top 10? Mid level? What are we trying to say?

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What does this thread have to do with where the Patriots rank statistically?

In threads that have nothing to do with the Patriots, I see from Patriots fans: more random Patriots/Brady mentions than I see posts that are on topic. It is so weird.

1 hour ago, RuralBill said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

If Antonio Brown is nowhere close to 100%, Jax will beat Pitt by 2+ scores. Regardless of where it's played. 

Good attempt, but no dice. With or without Brown, we are as good as anyone in the AFC.

If you are down an all-pro WR and who arguably won you 3 games the last month, and potentially most important defensive player... I don't like the matchup WITH Brown, let alone without. 

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

So what is this about?

Fringe top 10? Mid level? What are we trying to say?

I'm not talking about the Jaguars. I'm disputing the "defense wins championships". Usually it's the most balanced team. Someone said if the Pats or Steelers make it out of the AFC it will be because of their defense I said it will be both. Had nothing to do with the Jaguars. 

What are you that conceited to think I'm talking about the Jaguars in this thread about the Jaguars? I'm talking about the Patriots 

30 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The Jags are league average in offensive yards and points per drive. Their defense is first in defensive yards and points given up per drive. 

source as of week 14: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats 

The Jags offense is not that impressive. It is average at best. The offensive yards can be argued is 12th because their defense gives them better field position, but the points at 16th is clear. 

The Jags are an elite, and next year maybe an all-time great, defense. Hell, maybe they are now. But don't pretend that the Jags are a top offense.

Edit: Just wanted to add I think the Jags will beat Pitt if they play them. Only team I think would beat them in the AFC is the Pats. Defense is suffocating

21 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

In threads that have nothing to do with the Patriots, I see from Patriots fans: more random Patriots/Brady mentions than I see posts that are on topic. It is so weird.

A thread about the Jags being a contender doesn't have nothing to do with the Patriots, for obvious reasons. But I definitely get your point.

To answer the OP, I think the Jags have a defense that can shut down an elite offense, as well as a rushing offense that could sustain long drives and limit the opposing offense's possessions. So I'd put them right up there. I think they probably have the best chance of any AFC playoff team of beating PIT/NE on the road.

There is arguably more parity this season in terms of how many teams have a legit chance at the SB than I've seen in many years.

Archived