End of Season Mock v1

Kenrik

2018 NFL Green Bay Packers 7-9

3-packersmetallogo_400x225.jpg

Coaching:

Head Coach-Mike McCarthy has one year left and he has a chance to turn around this team. He finally is on board with getting off board with Dom.

Defensive Staff-Vic Fangio-Vic probably isn’t resigning with Chicago after his great work turning that defense around. He will continue running his 3-4 that he ran in SF and CHI. I don’t know for sure but I think McCarthy will work with Vic and allow him to bring in some of his own positional coaches but at this moment I’m not going to make the call on who. I would like to keep Mike Trgovac around and have Vic bring in Bears secondary coach Ed Donatell.

Offensive Staff-Edgar Bennett gets a little interest around the league but all lateral moves and he decides to stay with Rodgers until he gets that HC job. The rest of the staff stays intact.

2018 Salary 178,000,000

GB carries over 10.2 million from 2017 and has a current salary of 145.6 million which leaves GB with 42.6 million. Add in 6 million for rookies and we have 36.6 million. (I’ll try to carry over 8 million)

36.6 Million

GB Resigning

Morgan Burnett-4 Year 39 Million. I don’t want to see this defense regress and Morgan is a key piece in this defense. Its too early to rely on Josh Jones and Haha future could go either way.

Davante Adams-5 year 60 Million. Davante Adams is a must resign. Without Davante Adams we have only Rodgers as a true playmaker.

Davon House-4 year 10 million. House was looking for his big pay day but an injury riddled season doesn’t get him paid. He can either go for another 1-year deal or try to get a long-term deal.

Jahri Evans-1 year 2 Million. He played well and was our only healthy OL body all year.

Corey Linsley-3 year 9 Million. Linsley had an average year and won’t be getting too much attention in the market.

Minimum Deals: Goode, Rodgers, Dial, Goodson, Allison, McCray

-7 Million

Released/Gone

Jordy Nelson-Saves 10 million with a 2.5 Million cap hit. This was hard for me to do because frankly I love Jordy and he has been one of my favorite Packers but this is business and Jordy doesn’t have it anymore. Unless Jordy is willing to take a cut and sign an extension. People want Mathews and Cobb cut but Cobb entering his prime now while Jordy has lost his step and can’t get that separation. I would rather have Cobb than Jordy in the slot. Mathews saves 11 million which is about the same as the Jordy cut. I’m trying to create a better defense and pass rushers are hard to get. I’m with letting Mathews play out his contract and limit his snap count. He may even get us a comp pick. Sorry Jordy

Ahmad Brooks-Injury riddled year. Can be replaced easily with another vet cut in 2018.

Jeff Janis-Some team will give his speed a try. Great special teamer will be replaced in the draft.

-17 Million

Free Agents

Taylor Gabriel-3 year 7 million. Adds a little depth

taylor-gabriel-ftr-112716jpg_1bf2a9olphcz21gsgj05kldkyj.jpg?t=-1485064904&w=960&quality=70

Prince Amukamara-4 year 35 Million. Prince isn’t an elite CB but he can do a good job against number #1 WRs. The Secondary seems a little crowded with Prince, House, Randall, and King but honestly, we need the depth. I would expect House and Prince to start on the outside with King eventually working his way past House.

prince-vertical_2_orig.jpg

-7 Million Carry Over for 2019.

2018 Draft

Round 1: Clelin Ferell- OLB Clemson Very athletic and good rusher. Played for a very talented Clemson line but maybe the best player on that line that allowed others to flourish.

CrR5lNwW8AAuHjM.jpg

Round 2: Dorance Armstrong OLB Kansas Yup I’m double dipping at the outside. Another athletic player that saw a lot of double and triple teams do to the lack of talent at Kansas.

14_5229990.jpg

Round 2(Trade 3rd, 5th, 5th, 5th) Dante Pettis WR Washington The best returner in the Draft. I could see Pettis develop into a better route runner and be similar to a Greg Jennings.

460x.jpg

Round 3(Lang): Troy Fumagali TE Wisconsin. He maybe missing some fingers but Fum is a smart, athletic, and good route runner. I’m not sure on his blocking but he went to Wisconsin.

Fumagalli-Wisconsin-NFL-Draft-1493843466.jpeg

Round 4: Isaiah Wynn OL Georgia. Played some guard and tackle in college which is what Ted loves. I don’t know if the measurables add up. I see Isaiah taking over for Jahri after 2018.

isaiah-wynn-of-the-georgia-bulldogs-celebrates-beating-the-auburn-in-picture-id884599580

Round 5: Jalen Davis CB Utah State Small School playmaker. IDK

DQzXdVyWAAE63d-.jpg

Round 6: Jack Cichy OLB Wisconsin Fan favorite

580aac6ee6714.image.jpg?resize=1200,755

Round 7: Kahlil McKenzie NT Tennesse Just another big body

Kahlil-McKenzie-1.jpg

General Depth Chart

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley

RB: Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Mont

FB: Aaron Ripkowski

TE: Troy Fumagali, Richard Rodgers, Lance Kendricks

WR: Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Taylor Gabriel, Geronimo Allison, Dante Pettis, Trevor Davis

OT: David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy

OG: Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans, Isaiah Wynn, Justin McCray

OC: Corey Linsley, Isaiah Wynn

NT: Kenny Clark, Quinton Dial, Kahlil Mckenzie

UT: Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams

ILB: Blake Martinez, Jack Cichy, Jake Ryan

OLB: Nick Perry, CM3, Clelin Ferell, Dorance Armstrong, Kyler Fackrell, Vince Biegel

CB: Prince Amukamara, Davon House, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Quinten Rollins

S: Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans

K: Mason Crosby

P: Justin Vogel

LS: Brett Goode

Jalen Davis, Kahlil Mckenzie PS

Nice work...but I don't think I'd wanna trade Whitt/Perry for Ed Donatell.

Also not sure how you reconcile these two bolded statements below:

"I’m trying to create a better defense and pass rushers are hard to get. I’m with letting Mathews play out his contract and limit his snap count.

"Ahmad Brooks - Injury riddled year. Can be replaced easily with another vet cut in 2018."

Vets who are available are often prone to injury and there weren't many non-brooks pass rushers available in FA.

GB had to wait for SF to clean house and cut Brooks in September, that gave him little time to assimilate

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Draft is good, FA is OK, I'm not huge on either of those guys but understand the need there.

The only place I cringe is the Morgan Burnett deal, hard pass there. I'd trust in Josh Jones or draft another safety before I give a "glue guy" a 10m dollar deal into his 30s.

Thanks! Honestly I'm not 100% sure what he gets on the market. Spotrac has his market value at 11.4 million a year. People seem to be drawing the line near 8 million but honestly what is 2 million extra for a top 5-10 safety? Our defense really regressed when Burnett was out a couple games this year. Burnett turns 29 next month and I would much rather have his experience than roll with Haha and Jones next year because I feel like that has potential to be garbage.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Nice work...but I don't think I'd wanna trade Whitt/Perry for Ed Donatell.

Also not sure how you reconcile these two bolded statements below:

"I’m trying to create a better defense and pass rushers are hard to get. I’m with letting Mathews play out his contract and limit his snap count.

"Ahmad Brooks - Injury riddled year. Can be replaced easily with another vet cut in 2018."

Vets who are available are often prone to injury and there weren't many non-brooks pass rushers available in FA.

GB had to wait for SF to clean house and cut Brooks in September, that gave him little time to assimilate

Can we bring in a new DC without that person wanting to bring in his own staff though? 

I didn't value Brooks as a good pass rusher this year and CLay has the potential to still be a good pass rusher. I felt like Brooks was just a body that was better than Fackrell. Those bodies can be found around the final roster cut. 

Archived