Fix The Seahawks

goldfishwars

13 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Certainly not consensus top 5. Russell Wilson could just as easily have 30 INTs and 11 TDs this season. So many ugly lobs 

I don't understand what you mean.  That's apart of Wilson's play style.  He's been doing that for years.  Running around, pulling plays out of his butt, etc.  Nobody is saying Russell Wilson is better than Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.  Heck, nobody is saying that Wilson is even on that level.  Personally, I think Wilson is a top 5 QB and if he's not top 5 he certain right on the cusp.  Where are you getting severely overrated from?

Also, you mentioned his bulk stats.  Do you realize that Russell Wilson leads the Seahawks in ALL rushing categories?

* Total rushing yards

* Rushing yards per attempt

* Rushing touchdowns

* Rushes of 20+ yards or more

* Rushing yards per game

* Rushing first downs

* Rushing attempts

Also, keep in mind.  The Seahawks offensive line isn't very good, especially the interior.  How is he severely overrated.  I'm baffled right now.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Wilson still has time, but his OL is awful and the defense is aging. They need to stop making stupid trades. Let Graham and Richardson go in FA, cut Sherman and rebuild that OL and secondary.

Why would they cut Sherman? Their secondary is absolutely garbage without him.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Which is a shame, because he is. Just because he's been severely disrespected his entire career doesn't mean he's now overrated because he's doing exactly what people thought he couldn't do when he had a run game.

It used to be "oh well he doesn't have the bulk passing stats and when he loses his elite defense and run game he won't produce". Now this year happens and somehow he's still not a top 5 QB? Who are the 5 QB's better than him, not named Brady, (maybe) Brees, and Rodgers? The only other guys that have a case are one-year flash in the pan guys like Wentz or Watson. It certainly isn't Luck, Carr, Roethlisberger, Ryan, or anyone else in that tier. Wilson has separated himself clearly from a lot of guys who usually are considered near him.

Has he?  Wilson has the bulks stats now which is great and all, but so do all the other guys.  His play just seems super volatile to me.  Even this year he has probably 6 or 7 games where he hasn't played well.  That's way too much inconsistency for my liking, and while I can appreciate that he's been entirely depended on (and unfairly so) to run the Seahawks offense this year, it puts that much more weight on his play.  

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Why would they cut Sherman? Their secondary is absolutely garbage without him.

He's aging, coming off an injury that's usually the end for older players and athletic ability was never his strong suit.

That secondary is garbage without Thomas, Sherman just needs to be replaced by an average replacement. They could use that money to invest in the OL.

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't understand what you mean.  That's apart of Wilson's play style.  He's been doing that for years.  Running around, pulling plays out of his butt, etc.  Nobody is saying Russell Wilson is better than Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.  Heck, nobody is saying that Wilson is even on that level.  Personally, I think Wilson is a top 5 QB and if he's not top 5 he certain right on the cusp.  Where are you getting severely overrated from?

Also, you mentioned his bulk stats.  Do you realize that Russell Wilson leads the Seahawks in ALL rushing categories?

* Total rushing yards

* Rushing yards per attempt

* Rushing touchdowns

* Rushes of 20+ yards or more

* Rushing yards per game

* Rushing first downs

* Rushing attempts

Also, keep in mind.  The Seahawks offensive line isn't very good, especially the interior.  How is he severely overrated.  I'm baffled right now.

I'm aware. He's a one man band out there doing everything for that team. 

He's not a top 5 QB because he gets praise for POOR decisions that work. Sorry I don't like my QBs to run around behind the LOS and chunk lobs in the air. Thats what we call living on a prayer.. what he has done to keep the Seahawks afloat is impressive, but his mediocre passing numbers and taking on the role as the RB since they don't have one isnt going to convince me otherwise. He is a franchise guy for sure... not a guy that will carry you to a SB

Also, everyone keep in mind.  George Fant, the Seahawks starting LT coming in to the season, suffered a season ending injury during the pre-season.  With Fant back at full strength, Germain Ifedi and Duane Brown, the Seahawks have pretty good bookend tackles.  The problem with the offensive line heading into this off-season is going to be the interior.  That is one of the highest priorities as far as the draft is concerned. 

I'm posting this as to say it's not like the entire offensive line sucks and there's no hope. 

16 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Has he?  Wilson has the bulks stats now which is great and all, but so do all the other guys.  His play just seems super volatile to me.  Even this year he has probably 6 or 7 games where he hasn't played well.  That's way too much inconsistency for my liking, and while I can appreciate that he's been entirely depended on (and unfairly so) to run the Seahawks offense this year, it puts that much more weight on his play.  

Wilson this year is no different than Wilson of other years, it's just that he has literally no run game, and his defense is crippled by injuries. His entire career has been him scrambling around for his life and doing the magnificent, you can't really say those things are a crux now, because they're the norm.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's aging, coming off an injury that's usually the end for older players and athletic ability was never his strong suit.

That secondary is garbage without Thomas, Sherman just needs to be replaced by an average replacement. They could use that money to invest in the OL.

The bolded simply isn't true. This year they were without Thomas and did just fine. Steven Terrell was just horrible for them last year and made Thomas' value seemingly sky rocket, which is misleading. Thomas is invisible in 99% of Seahawks games this year while teams run and throw on them at will, anywhere on the field. Sherman is much, much, much more valuable.

And the Seahawks have "invested" plenty into their OL, they're just not good. Ifedi is a 1st rounder and he's their worst player on the OL. Duane Brown comes to them and he's not good, either. Their best OL is a failed Tackle and Guard who is now a Center. They have a development problem there, not an investment problem.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

From another thread:

The Seahawks need to make some changes and upgrade at certain positions, but it's way too early to say their window is completely closed.  The first order of business needs to be to fire Darrell Bevel.  Next to go should be Tom Cable.  A fresh offensively philosophy would do wonders for this team.  Next, the Seahawks need to upgrade at certain positions - Interior offensive line, running back and I feel like they could use a big receiver.  Defensively, the team lost a lot with injuries to Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman and Cliff Avril.  Obviously, the question is... Can those guys actually come back and play at a high level?  That remains to be seen.

There is enough talent and experience on the defensive side of the football for that unit to be really good.  The offense needs to be upgraded via the draft/FA and if that can happen, I don't see why the Seahawks couldn't be a contender again.  I've said this earlier in the year, the Seahawks would probably have two to three wins if it weren't for Russell Wilson's brilliance.  Just upgrade some of the pieces around him in the off-season and get the defense healthy - Seattle will be back in the thick of things.

If you fire Bevel, can you find another OC that can accomodate Wilson's style of play? Because apparently this is what Bevel has to do to maximize Wilson's strengths:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-mvp-darrell-bevell

Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has one of the hardest jobs in football. He doesn’t know where his guy with the ball will be. And he can’t ask Wilson to change. Wilson, the most dynamic sandlot quarterback of his generation, is merely playing the hand he was dealt. God made him 5' 11". People like to say that doesn’t matter (Wilson proves his doubters wrong!). It does matter. A 5' 11" man cannot always see over 6' 5" offensive linemen or 6' 3" defensive linemen with outstretched arms. With Wilson, it’s evident every week on film. And so the 5' 11" man must move around and create new lines of vision. Drew Brees, at 6-foot, has mastered this in New Orleans. He does it from the pocket. Wilson, with tremendous athleticism and an uncanny ability to make strong throws on the move (right or left), does it by running around. So the difference is, with Brees a coach can draw plays the same way he would for a traditional QB. Brees’s platform and launching point change by a matter of inches and feet. Wilson’s change by a matter of yards. Many, many yards.

But even harder than drawing up plays for Wilson is drawing up pass rushes and coverages to stop him. Rushing the passer happens so quickly, and it can be so risky if you infuse it with blitzers, that it must be constructed under the assumption that a quarterback will remain in the pocket. If you were to craft a pass rush to attack Wilson’s movement, you’d have to guess on where to direct it. A coach’s job is to eliminate guesswork, not create it.

For Bevell, the job is to accommodate Wilson. You can’t have plays that call for Wilson to run around snap after snap and make something happen—what do you tell your other 10 players to do there? Bevell must design plays that suit everyone else but can still work when Wilson goes sandlot.

Bevell does this by using the entire width of the field. If the Seahawks are not aligned in a spread formation, chances are, they’re aligned in an extra tight one so that there’s more room for receivers to run their routes towards the outside. That room might be needed later if Wilson breaks down the play. It’s also more important that Seattle balance the field. Instead of constructing route combinations that attack a specific coverage in one specific area, Bevell must attack all areas so that his quarterback has options when he goes this way or that way. Along these same lines, Bevell must go light on the timing and rhythm throws. Or, at the very least, the Seahawks must have contingencies for when those timing and rhythm throws occur off schedule and out of rhythm.

This style of play is inherently inconsistent—especially if your base running game is as poor as Seattle’s has been. But when Wilson makes magic from all this, you see what you saw last Sunday night: The Seahawks prospering despite their offensive line being overmatched by an explosive Eagles defensive line. When Wilson isn’t making magic, you see an offense with few staple concepts to fall back on, and you get the Seahawks offense from the first half of the Week 12 Niners game (129 net yards) or from the second half of the Week 10 Cardinals game (97 yards), second half of the Week 5 Rams game (54 yards) or either half of the Week 1 Packers game (225 yards total).

Wilson contributes to these down stretches, too. Many times, when the Seahawks do try to find a rhythm with more traditional pass designs (their best come out of trips formations), Wilson, because he’s so accustomed to breaking down, fails to see them anyway. We always say: There’s no stat to capture throws that should be attempted but aren’t. You see these every game from Wilson.

Of course, some of the time when Wilson fails to attempt an open throw, he winds up making a spectacular, out-of-structure play (especially when you include his scrambling, which picks up late in close games). I’d love to know what Bevell and Pete Carroll say to their QB when they watch these plays on film. From what I hear, it’s mostly Good job, Russ. The veteran coaches by now understand what Wilson is. And Wilson, when he sees himself misreading the field on film, has been known to acknowledge it.

Watching the film, Wilson probably doesn’t marvel at his spectacular unstructured plays the way we all do. But you can bet opponents do. Wilson is like nothing they’ve seen before, and his style, so hard to replicate, is not something you can fully prepare for in practice. The Seahawks are inconsistent in part because their quarterback is so unique. But put a Joe Blow pocket passing QB behind that offensive line and with that running game, and you’d have an offense that could only aspire to be inconsistent. Which is why, even those of us who struggle to reconcile Wilson’s unconventional style have to admit, he belongs near the top of this year’s MVP list.

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

From that same SI article, at which point I stopped reading:

It's a preference that Benoit has. And he details why he prefers Stafford over Wilson at the beginning. So maybe, don't just stop before you actually read his explanation (right or wrong).

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

It's still asinine, no matter the context.

No, it's not. And given the fact that Benoit was writing about why Wilson deserves consideration for MVP, maybe you're jumping the gun a little.

Because right or wrong, Wilson's style is unconventional and puts extra pressure on an OC to have the right offense in place for him. But at the same time, it's also what makes him so impossible to defend when you're on defense.

Archived