Fix The Seahawks

goldfishwars

Just now, Xenos said:

No, it's not. And given the fact that Benoit was writing about why Wilson deserves consideration for MVP, maybe you're jumping the gun a little.

It absolutely is. It's not even debatable. Here, I'll even provide the context and his "explanation", bless his poor soul:

On Sunday night I emailed my bosses, Peter King and executive editor Mark Mravic, asking if I could write about Russell Wilson this week. My premise would be this: Wilson up until recently has never been a top-10 quarterback; he’s part of why Seattle’s offense runs hots and cold; and yet, he is a legitimate MVP candidate. A real paradox.

Peter immediately emailed back:

Except he is top 5.

Just going to ask you to go outside your box and think about it this way: If I were watching a football game and not examining it for the mechanical things a quarterback must do to be a franchise quarterback, but rather watching it for effectiveness and playmaking and leadership and running and mobility and arm strength, would I rate Matthew Stafford over Russell Wilson?

I don’t see how you would, but that’s what makes the world go round.

To answer Peter’s question: I’m putting Stafford over Wilson—and it’s a no-brainer. (My Matthew Stafford man crush is hard to shake.) But I get what Peter is saying. Another way to view the question, and the way offensive coaches ponder this sort of thing, is: If you’re building an offense, which QB do you want?

For me, it’s Stafford. No question. But here’s the tricky part: If I’m running a defense and I get to choose between facing Stafford or facing Wilson, I’d choose to face Stafford. And so he’s the guy I want to play with, but also against. Or, more apt for this conversation, Wilson is the guy I don’t want to play with or against.

"Russell Wilson has never been a top 10 QB" laughable. Absolutely laughable.

The context actually makes his Stafford > Wilson comment look even worse. Oh well, what one idiotic writer thinks is pretty irrelevant. As for Bevell (the entire premise of this being that nobody can do what Bevell does), it took Bevell TWO FULL YEARS to figure out to throw to Jimmy Graham in the redzone, yet somehow we're supposed to believe no other person on the planet can do his job better? Give me a break.

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

It absolutely is. It's not even debatable. Here, I'll even provide the context and his "explanation", bless his poor soul:

"Russell Wilson has never been a top 10 QB" laughable. Absolutely laughable.

The context actually makes his Stafford > Wilson comment look even worse. Oh well, what one idiotic writer thinks is pretty irrelevant. As for Bevell (the entire premise of this being that nobody can do what Bevell does), it took Bevell TWO FULL YEARS to figure out to throw to Jimmy Graham in the redzone, yet somehow we're supposed to believe no other person on the planet can do his job better? Give me a break.

What's the full quote?

Wilson up until recently has never been a top-10 quarterback; he’s part of why Seattle’s offense runs hots and cold; and yet, he is a legitimate MVP candidate. A real paradox.

Taking things out of context I see. Not to mention you ignored the rest of what you quoted.

To me, I interpreted "and yet, he is a legitimate MVP candidate" as him responding to the request of people to write about Wilson being an MVP candidate, not that he actually believes he is. Hell, the entire article is basically crapping on Wilson as a QB because he's not traditional and does things his own unique way. It reeks of a guy writing an article because he was forced to, and doesn't truly believe the premise that was given to him (Russell Wilson is an MVP candidate).

Even the full quote, "up until recently has never been a top 10 QB" is laughable. He's been a top 10 QB for 2+ years now! Just because this moron doesn't think so doesn't mean it's not true.

EDIT: The rest of his explanation is stupid. Which QB do I want? The guy who is above-average at his best, or the guy who is top-5 and can completely mask major inefficiency at the OL position AND has won a Superbowl and consistently puts up 90-100 QBR seasons? Yeah, real tough choice there.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.  I would start with the interior oline, and try to get an actual running back to help Wilson out. If there's an OC available that can maximize Wilson's abilities even more, then replace Bevel. But until then, the grass may not always be greener.

48 minutes ago, showtime said:

Also, everyone keep in mind.  George Fant, the Seahawks starting LT coming in to the season, suffered a season ending injury during the pre-season.  With Fant back at full strength, Germain Ifedi and Duane Brown, the Seahawks have pretty good bookend tackles.  The problem with the offensive line heading into this off-season is going to be the interior.  That is one of the highest priorities as far as the draft is concerned. 

I'm posting this as to say it's not like the entire offensive line sucks and there's no hope. 

But what about the fact George Fant is terrible at football?

49 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Wilson this year is no different than Wilson of other years, it's just that he has literally no run game, and his defense is crippled by injuries. His entire career has been him scrambling around for his life and doing the magnificent, you can't really say those things are a crux now, because they're the norm.

Right, although I'd argue that the defense has been pretty good for a majority of the season. My point isn't about his style of play so much as it is the volatility of having good games and bad games.  Perhaps that goes hand-in-hand with his style of play, but I want my top 5 QBs to be more consistent.  Wilson can do some incredible things and he's definitely an asset, but this season alone he has 6 games with a quarter back rating of 80 or less. Perhaps that's a narrow way of viewing it, but it's been a reoccurring theme throughout his career that has been masked by a generally dominant run game / defense.  

18 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

To me, I interpreted "and yet, he is a legitimate MVP candidate" as him responding to the request of people to write about Wilson being an MVP candidate, not that he actually believes he is. Hell, the entire article is basically crapping on Wilson as a QB because he's not traditional and does things his own unique way. It reeks of a guy writing an article because he was forced to, and doesn't truly believe the premise that was given to him (Russell Wilson is an MVP candidate).

Even the full quote, "up until recently has never been a top 10 QB" is laughable. He's been a top 10 QB for 2+ years now! Just because this moron doesn't think so doesn't mean it's not true.

EDIT: The rest of his explanation is stupid. Which QB do I want? The guy who is above-average at his best, or the guy who is top-5 and can completely mask major inefficiency at the OL position AND has won a Superbowl and consistently puts up 90-100 QBR seasons? Yeah, real tough choice there.

Or maybe Benoit is saying that he's a legitimate MVP because he is this year? Listen, I think Benoit has a tendency to be arrogant and say outrageous statements because he's SI's film guru. I personally don't agree with his Kapernick take this past offseason for example. But disagree or agree with his statements, he does study the film more than most people on this site. But let's ignore Benoit's tone, and concentrate on what he stated about Wilson's strengths and weaknesses. Which part of that is untrue?' Is it all on the oline for why the offense is so hot and cold?

Also, Wilson won a Superbowl because he had a great running game and an all time great defense. Something that Stafford never had.

This is the first season where you see Wilson truly carry the team on his own and hence why he's getting the accolades. Also, did you just use QBR as a reason? Or are you talking about passer rating?

Just now, BLick12 said:

Right, although I'd argue that the defense has been pretty good for a majority of the season. My point isn't about his style of play so much as it is the volatility of having good games and bad games.  Perhaps that goes hand-in-hand with his style of play, but I want my top 5 QBs to be more consistent.  Wilson can do some incredible things and he's definitely an asset, but this season alone he has 6 games with a quarter back rating of 80 or less. Perhaps that's a narrow way of viewing it, but it's been a reoccurring theme throughout his career that has been masked by a generally dominant run game / defense.  

This year he's had some bad games, and again I think it's well noted that this year he's had literally nothing around him - like historically bad. It's not just "oh he doesn't have an elite run game and defense anymore", it's "he is the entire offense now", and that's not healthy for anyone.

However, in terms of consistency:

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2017 Seattle Seahawks 14 503 307 61.0 35.9 3,669 7.3 262.1 30 6.0 11 2.2 74T 52 12 37 263 94.1

2016 Seattle Seahawks 16 546 353 64.7 34.1 4,219 7.7 263.7 21 3.8 11 2.0 59 51 11 41 293 92.6

2015 Seattle Seahawks 16 483 329 68.1 30.2 4,024 8.3 251.5 34 7.0 8 1.7 80T 60 9 45 265 110.1

2014 Seattle Seahawks 16 452 285 63.1 28.2 3,475 7.7 217.2 20 4.4 7 1.5 80T 54 8 42 242 95.0

2013 Seattle Seahawks 16 407 257 63.1 25.4 3,357 8.2 209.8 26 6.4 9 2.2 80T 49 10 44 272 101.2

2012 Seattle Seahawks 16 393 252 64.1 24.6 3,118 7.9 194.9 26 6.6 10 2.5 67 42 11 33 203

That looks pretty consistent to me, especially the rating.

11 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

This year he's had some bad games, and again I think it's well noted that this year he's had literally nothing around him - like historically bad. It's not just "oh he doesn't have an elite run game and defense anymore", it's "he is the entire offense now", and that's not healthy for anyone.

However, in terms of consistency:

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2017 Seattle Seahawks 14 503 307 61.0 35.9 3,669 7.3 262.1 30 6.0 11 2.2 74T 52 12 37 263 94.1

2016 Seattle Seahawks 16 546 353 64.7 34.1 4,219 7.7 263.7 21 3.8 11 2.0 59 51 11 41 293 92.6

2015 Seattle Seahawks 16 483 329 68.1 30.2 4,024 8.3 251.5 34 7.0 8 1.7 80T 60 9 45 265 110.1

2014 Seattle Seahawks 16 452 285 63.1 28.2 3,475 7.7 217.2 20 4.4 7 1.5 80T 54 8 42 242 95.0

2013 Seattle Seahawks 16 407 257 63.1 25.4 3,357 8.2 209.8 26 6.4 9 2.2 80T 49 10 44 272 101.2

2012 Seattle Seahawks 16 393 252 64.1 24.6 3,118 7.9 194.9 26 6.6 10 2.5 67 42 11 33 203

That looks pretty consistent to me, especially the rating.

I think you really have to break up Russel Wilson's career into 2 segments. The first 3 seasons, all he had to do was manage the game and not screw things up.  A lights out defense and an established run game was what fueled those teams.  The last 3, I believe Wilson has been asked to shoulder more responsibility.  He's done well in that role, but as I mentioned, you still see a decent amount of variance from game to game.  He has more good games than bad, clearly, and his good games are often great statistically, but the bad games are still fairly prevalent.  He had close to the same amount of bad games last year with a good support system in place.  2015 is really the most consistent year he has put together in his career. Perhaps I'm just nitpicking, but this has been my view on WIlson throughout his career, not just this season. 

5 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I think you really have to break up Russel Wilson's career into 2 segments. The first 3 seasons, all he had to do was manage the game and not screw things up.  A lights out defense and an established run game was what fueled those teams.  The last 3, I believe Wilson has been asked to shoulder more responsibility.  He's done well in that role, but as I mentioned, you still see a decent amount of variance from game to game.  He has more good games than bad, clearly, and his good games are often great statistically, but the bad games are still fairly prevalent.  He had close to the same amount of bad games last year with a good support system in place.  2015 is really the most consistent year he has put together in his career. Perhaps I'm just nitpicking, but this has been my view on WIlson throughout his career, not just this season. 

I would say so, especially considering that over teh course of his career, his passer rating and stats have remained consistent throughout.

Probably worth mentioning, the Seahawks have pushed a lot of money into next year, so the question is probably less about whether they’ll resign a luxury like Jimmy Graham and more about whether they’ll want to pay a banged up Richard Sherman and Cliff Avril what they’re owed.

Archived