Fix The Seahawks

goldfishwars

You want specifics?

The method I'd be most confident in is replacing Tom Cable with an OL coach who emphasizes the same traits, principles, and blocking scheme aesthetics that an Aaron Kromer or Dan Roushar do - a bit more in-depth: Emphasis on getting dominant guard play that pushes the pocket forward at the apex and stresses to the tackles that if they start to get beaten to run their assignment past the pocket and seek to recover.  This fits to the strengths of both Russell Wilson (extraordinarily good at movement within and manipulation of the pocket) and the running backs worth retaining on the roster (McKissic, Carson, Davis).  The Saints would do well to operate a West Coast variant similar to the one Sean Payton deploys; if it's me I'm probably looking at Saints WR coach Curtis Johnson.

In this scheme and with this blocking scheme, Britt and Pocic give you two pieces you can certainly build around.  The determination becomes whether Ifedi is kicked inside to guard or left to fight a (likely) losing battle for his RT spot, which would determine whether making a run at someone in FA (the guard class isn't really all that fantastic) or in the draft (where the guard class for the kinds of guys that excel in this blocking scheme is a particular strength).  Brown gives you someone who should be able to remain an at least above-average placeholder on the blindside for at minimum the remainder of his contract.  And RT becomes the real question mark, but there are (a few) free agent stop-gaps who have shown that when partnered with a high-quality guard they can be functional enough that a highly mobile QB like Wilson should be able to find success.

It doesn't matter what they do if they don't remember how to draft competently. They've drafted 8 players worth mentioning from 2013 - 2016 and almost half (Ware, KPL, and Collins) are starting for a team in the AFC instead of Seattle. The team is still almost entirely built on the corp of players they acquired between 2010 and 2012. With the exception of Frank Clark and a couple of mid-tier WRs, they've acquired no young talent through the draft since then. And they've had to go to trades and free agency to make for that. So they now have a roster almost entirely reliant on players in the back half of their career on second or third contracts costing a lot of money. Good players, mind you, but that's still a problem. There is no magical combination of keeping some players and letting others go that is going to work if they don't stop drafting garbage. Or, if it's not a draft issue (and it may not be, given that Jermaine Kearse looks good for the Jets, Spencer Ware and Alex Collins broke out as soon as they left, and Kevin Pierre-Louis looking good so far for KC), they need to figure out what's wrong with how they're developing the talent that they are drafting.

I hate Russell Wilson and have been waiting for him to come crashing back down to earth....but he's legit. He's been legit since his rookie season. There's no way you can discredit him. His OL is hilariously bad and his skill players are average at best...probably below average. Plus his defense isn't helping him out this year. It has been a 1-man show in Seattle this year.

Fixing Seattle? They just need to draft well. No major changes necessary, but they do need to start looking for LOB replacements and fix the OL. They won't ever get back to being a powerhouse again, but they'll be a constant playoff team with Wilson there and some solid drafting.

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Getting rid of Russell Wilson should be their first move.

Do you know how hard it is to find a good QB in the NFL? Let alone a borderline top 5 QB? One that's brought a franchise to two SBs? Why would that or should be their first move?

Wilson is amazing and the Seahawks offense would be GARBAGE without him. He has terrible offensive line and is basically their entire running game. Wilson is one of those QB's where no matter what the score is, if I'm playing him, I never feel that they're out of it. Wilson, Brady and Rodgers. Those 3 QB's, 9/10, will find ways to keep their teams in it to the very end.

To answer the OP: I really think the 2 keys are getting Russ a competent OL and getting healthy on D. If you're trading a solid WR like Kearse and giving up a 2nd RD draft pick, you damn well better re-sign him this off-season.

2 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Do you know how hard it is to find a good QB in the NFL? Let alone a borderline top 5 QB? One that's brought a franchise to two SBs? Why would that or should be their first move?

Wilson is amazing and the Seahawks offense would be GARBAGE without him. He has terrible offensive line and is basically their entire running game. Wilson is one of those QB's where no matter what the score is, if I'm playing him, I never feel that they're out of it. Wilson, Brady and Rodgers. Those 3 QB's, 9/10, will find ways to keep their teams in it to the very end.

To answer the OP: I really think the 2 keys are getting Russ a competent OL and getting healthy on D. If you're trading a solid WR like Kearse and giving up a 2nd RD draft pick, you damn well better re-sign him this off-season.

Guess you didn't catch on to my humor.

I’m glad I’m not the GM. They’re going to have a lot of tough decisions to make with some vets this offseason. I have no idea who I’d keep or who is even capable of being kept - some of those vets could restructure or be extended to prorate the money a little bit. Some probably can’t. 

21 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

To me, I interpreted "and yet, he is a legitimate MVP candidate" as him responding to the request of people to write about Wilson being an MVP candidate, not that he actually believes he is. Hell, the entire article is basically crapping on Wilson as a QB because he's not traditional and does things his own unique way. It reeks of a guy writing an article because he was forced to, and doesn't truly believe the premise that was given to him (Russell Wilson is an MVP candidate).

Even the full quote, "up until recently has never been a top 10 QB" is laughable. He's been a top 10 QB for 2+ years now! Just because this moron doesn't think so doesn't mean it's not true.

EDIT: The rest of his explanation is stupid. Which QB do I want? The guy who is above-average at his best, or the guy who is top-5 and can completely mask major inefficiency at the OL position AND has won a Superbowl and consistently puts up 90-100 QBR seasons? Yeah, real tough choice there.

Apparently he heard complaints similar to yours and this is his response:

I was baffled at the outcry over my claim that I’d take Matthew Stafford over Russell Wilson. I can certainly understand how people—even a majority of people—would disagree with it. But it’s not like Stafford is some run-of-the-mill, game-managing quarterback.

Stafford’s Lions are 8-6, just like Wilson’s Seahawks. Stafford, like Wilson, has a so-so supporting cast, and no consistent running game behind him. Stafford’s defense is less dynamic than the one Wilson has played with for most of the year. And, if you want to get statistical:

Pass Yds Comp. Pct. Yds/Att TD passes INTs Rating Rush Yds
Stafford 3,920 66.3 7.82 25 9 99.1 89
Wilson 3,669 61.0 7.29 30 11 94.1 521

You must factor Wilson’s 521 yards rushing into the discussion. But you also must consider that Stafford has, perhaps next to Aaron Rodgers, the best pure throwing arm in football. He can attempt passes that other QBs (including Wilson) cannot. These are two terrific and unique quarterbacks in their prime. Debating who is better can be smart and fun, but it’s not ridiculous.

Archived