Build the Ideal Coaching Staff [Round 1]

WindyCity

I have a new game the rules are that you build the best coaching staff you can around a head coach candidate. I encourage you to look for possible connections and reasons for the coaches to work together.

Coaches who are fired and hit the market

Chicago [Ha Ha]

Houston

Tampa Bay

NYG

Indianapolis

Cincinnati 

Oakland-Not Del Rio, but everyone else

Denver-Offensive staff

You can also use any coaches that are on the street right now [McCoy, Norv, McAdoo]

You must fill the positions,

OC:

QB:

DC:

Special Teams:

HC: Matt Patricia 

Matt-Patricia-Patriots.jpg

OC: Bill Musgrave [Broncos QB Coach/OC]

The Bears would need to add an experienced offensive play caller who is not a risk of becoming a HC and that can be here for a couple of seasons consecutively. Musgrave has called plays for nearly a decade in the NFL and he was a big part of the development of Derek Carr. Denver might keep him but with the turmoil on that staff he may also be available.

kusgrave_cardnew.jpg

Backup: Dirk Koetter [Tampa Bay HC], obviously the Bucs have sucked this season, but Koetter knows QBs and offense and was good in Tampa before this season and was good in Atlanta.

QB Coach: Tom Clements [Packers QB Coach]

Worked with Aaron Rodgers his entire career and the Bears tried to poach him a couple of times to be OC. An accomplished QB and a longtime QB coach is what the Bears need working with Trubisky everyday.

tom-clements.jpg

Backup: George Godsey [Detroit Special Assistant]: Was the QB coach and OC for Houston and could come in as he knows Patricia from their time in New England.

DC: Mike Vrabel [Texans DC]

With the Texans staff likely "parting ways" at the end of the season this could open Vrabel up, if he does not get a HC gig, to come to a team where he is close with the HC and has talent to work with.

houston-texans-defensive-coordinator-mik

Backup: Brian Flores [Patriots LB Coach]: He knows the system so if Vrabel takes the NE DC job, the Bears can try and poach Flores to a promotion.

Me personally:

HC:  Frank Reich - Like his experience as a playcaller, QB coach, and as an NFL QB, I know Defillipo is the one who gets the hype but frankly I don't think he's experienced enough.  Reich has had success everywhere he's gone, and led Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning to some of their best stretches as QB's while he worked with them.  

OC:  Defilippo - His contract expires this year, and he would likely not come, but as we are talking about ideals, this would be my choice for OC.  We have Reich's playcalling to fall back on if necessary and he gets a chance to expand his resume, though he'd likely be given the same opportunity to be an OC in Philly.  

DC:  Mike Pettine - Similar, yet more aggressive defense than Fangio, and likely to be able to stick around as long as we maintain the same HC, as he was not well regarded as a HC in cleveland, but is a fantastic defensive coordinator.  

24 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Me personally:

HC:  Frank Reich - Like his experience as a playcaller, QB coach, and as an NFL QB, I know Defillipo is the one who gets the hype but frankly I don't think he's experienced enough.  Reich has had success everywhere he's gone, and led Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning to some of their best stretches as QB's while he worked with them.  

OC:  Defilippo - His contract expires this year, and he would likely not come, but as we are talking about ideals, this would be my choice for OC.  We have Reich's playcalling to fall back on if necessary and he gets a chance to expand his resume, though he'd likely be given the same opportunity to be an OC in Philly.  

DC:  Mike Pettine - Similar, yet more aggressive defense than Fangio, and likely to be able to stick around as long as we maintain the same HC, as he was not well regarded as a HC in cleveland, but is a fantastic defensive coordinator.  

The game is to do it around Matt Patricia. Reich is round 4.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

OC: Bill Musgrave [Broncos QB Coach/OC]

The Bears would need to add an experienced offensive play caller who is not a risk of becoming a HC and that can be here for a couple of seasons consecutively. Musgrave has called plays for nearly a decade in the NFL and he was a big part of the development of Derek Carr. Denver might keep him but with the turmoil on that staff he may also be available.

kusgrave_cardnew.jpg

Backup: Dirk Koetter [Tampa Bay HC], obviously the Bucs have sucked this season, but Koetter knows QBs and offense and was good in Tampa before this season and was good in Atlanta.

I wouldn't want Koetter or Musgrave tbh.

Musgrave's offense consists of screens and hail marys. Coming from a Vikings guy... you don't want it 3rd and 9? hell lets run a screen.... 3rd and 1.. SCREEN IT IS!

Koetter has probably the most predictable offense in the NFL, ask Falcons or Buc's fans.

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I wouldn't want Koetter or Musgrave tbh.

Musgrave's offense consists of screens and hail marys. Coming from a Vikings guy... you don't want it 3rd and 9? hell lets run a screen.... 3rd and 1.. SCREEN IT IS!

Koetter has probably the most predictable offense in the NFL, ask Falcons or Buc's fans.

Your thoughts on John DeFilippo?

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Your thoughts on John DeFilippo?

Honestly would be a great OC for you guys. Look what he has done with Wentz.

I don't know how much he really was able to do as the OC over with the Browns or much of his playcalling. But the way these young coaches are getting to young QB's it would be something solid to look into. I know I've read a lot of good things with him from the Eagles media.

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly would be a great OC for you guys. Look what he has done with Wentz.

I don't know how much he really was able to do as the OC over with the Browns or much of his playcalling. But the way these young coaches are getting to young QB's it would be something solid to look into. I know I've read a lot of good things with him from the Eagles media.

I think he's a year away from being a head coaching candidate... but I'm past caring at this point, I want him to be the Bears' Head Coach in 2018 and onward.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think he's a year away from being a head coaching candidate... but I'm past caring at this point, I want him to be the Bears' Head Coach in 2018 and onward.

There will be action on him this offseason. As much as I'm sure he likes working with Wentz, given that his coaching contract is up, I don't see him resigning with Philly to continue to be their QB coach.

Archived