Build the Ideal Coaching Staff [Round 1]

WindyCity

4 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

HC - John Fox.  Upper management ties Pace to Fox.  George and Ted tell Ryan that John Fox is under contract one more year and John fox is going to be the head coach in 2018.  In addition, are we really going to blame John Fox for not having NFL caliber WRs on the field? Did John Fox sign Mike Glennon to a 18 million dollar contract? Its like you are cooking dinner and the person who is getting the groceries brings back rotted meat.  You going to blame the chef or the person buying the groceries?  Let's also give Fox some credit.  the defense finally looks good and has played well this year.  This team has made a lot of progress from the Tresman years. 

OC - Mike McCoy - we're getting the band back together.  A real offense coordinator will go along way.  McCoy has tons of experience and has worked with fox before.  In addition, McCoy is not going to go anywhere for a few years the head coaching ship has sailed on him. 

QB - Dave Rogan

DC - Vic Fanigo - he tries to leave as a head coach but no wants him.  He is just stuck in the wrong era off football.

Man, I get that Fox has had success elsewhere with quick turnarounds, but his record here has not been very good!  I guess maybe you have a point that it was all Loggains' fault, so I guess crazier things have happened!  I still think there is a slight chance he gets fired. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Nagy is the more challenging guy because he has spent his entire career with one head coach.

I was looking for potential DCs that he could bring in and the only guy who jumps off the page is Todd Bowles and he may not be fired.

There has been plenty of talk regarding Mike Pettine being Nagy's guy...if it wasn't him I like Gary Gibbs as a really experienced coach to pair with him at DC...I also think the respect and contact book Andy Reid has would play a major role in his ability to build a staff...our of the first time coaches I think he could put together the best staff based on that fact...

Looking a bit more into this Bob Sutton who is the current OF defensive coordinator worked under Rex Ryan in MY with Mike Pettine...also Jim O'Neil who is a 2x DC of not a successful one...if Sutton's connection could get us someone from the Baltimore tree that wouldn't be a bad move at all...

Mike Caldwell could be on the table as well.

11 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

HC - John Fox.  Upper management ties Pace to Fox.  George and Ted tell Ryan that John Fox is under contract one more year and John fox is going to be the head coach in 2018.  In addition, are we really going to blame John Fox for not having NFL caliber WRs on the field? Did John Fox sign Mike Glennon to a 18 million dollar contract? Its like you are cooking dinner and the person who is getting the groceries brings back rotted meat.  You going to blame the chef or the person buying the groceries?  Let's also give Fox some credit.  the defense finally looks good and has played well this year.  This team has made a lot of progress from the Tresman years. 

Wait, so Fox can wash his hands of his abysmal record because he doesn't have the "ingredients" he needs and still gets credit for being better than Trestman, while still somehow getting credit for the team's progress from the Trestman years? That doesn't make sense to me. 

The team is younger and has more young talent that the Trestman era ever did, but that isn't due to Fox. Pace drafted those players, Fox didn't draft Trubisky, Howard, find Meredith, Cohen, Whitehair, Jackson, etc. If Pace is attributed the Glennon signing, he also gets the credit for Hicks, DT, Sitton, etc. Those plus moves were not credited to Fox. Fox came to be a "leader of men" but failed. Pace even took away the strong personalities because it likely was very apparent Fox had little more control of the locker room than Trestman. We traded Marshall because Fox couldn't handle him, we traded Bennett for the same reason, and Alshon left because he knew it was far greener pastures (and a postseason shot) for him away from a Fox-led team. 

A coach is the one who gets the acclaim for the wins and losses, even more than the GM IMO. They can scheme to hide deficiencies, and to play to strengths... well, Fox can't, but good HC's can. Trestman was 13-19 (.406) with the Bears before the "progress" that has lead to Fox going 13-33 (.283). To make matters worse, look at coordinators. Trestman had Mel Tucker and Kromer, while Fox has had Gase and Fangio. Who would you rather have? Even if going Loggains/Fangio, I'd take them over Trestman's coord just for Fangio. Trestman won more with the aging/dysfunctional players he had than Fox has with this team. If Trestman was the HC for these last 46 games, I fully expect him to win 5-6 games more than Fox just due to mild competence.

Not to say Pace has been perfect, but he has been an infinitely better GM than Fox has been a HC. Hell, Angelo was a better GM than Fox was a HC, case could even be made that Emery was too.

I've been reading a ton of articles on how the Rams searched for and found McVay, what his approach has been and how he has won over the team, etc.

The biggest takeaway for me was that he's an outstanding communicator, he's humble in that he will admit when he makes a mistake, and he's a consistent disciplinarian. He knows his expertise is the offense so he lets Phillips run the defense, BUT he also makes sure to sit in during the meetings and take notes so he's not completely oblivious to what's going on.

So my takeaway from all this is that, yeah, X's and O's will get you recognition, but you damn sure better know how to command a room, how to communicate properly to a plethora of different personalities, and be humble enough to know what you don't know and allow other members of your staff to pull their own weight.

On 12/21/2017 at 11:01 PM, G08 said:

So my takeaway from all this is that, yeah, X's and O's will get you recognition, but you damn sure better know how to command a room, how to communicate properly to a plethora of different personalities, and be humble enough to know what you don't know and allow other members of your staff to pull their own weight.

To me that sounds like Pete Carroll. He isn't the mad genius like Bowles was or consistently putting up top 10 defenses through mastering a few sets like Lovie but has been able to hold down some pretty strong personalities and had them going the same way for years. I hated him just because, well USC, but can't deny he is a hell of a coach.

Archived