Final Mock Offseason of 2017

WindyCity

Coaching

HC Matt Nagy

Nagy played QB, he has coached the QB position, and he has been an OC for the past 2 seasons. Nagy has also gotten got the chance to call plays this season and his offense has responded with huge scoring outputs. Nagy is what the Bears need, he is a QB centered offensive coach that can come in and bring some play call and QB coaching continuity.

Matt%20Nagy%20-%20Chiefs%20Offensive%20C

OC Tom Clements

The former Packers QB coach was a long time CFL QB and a QB coach for over a decade. He also has play calling experience to support Nagy. Clements has worked with Rodgers his entire career and the Bears have tried to steal him before. Clements can come in and work with the QB and can call plays if Nagy needs to focus in another area on game day.

636210472596545231-JTM-mini-8.jpg

DC Mike Pettine

An experienced 3-4 coach who runs an aggressive system that will attack QBs and attempt to create big plays. Pettine has called defenses in the NFL for a long time and he has HC experience in Cleveland and he can be left alone to run the defense and allow for Nagy to focus on the QB and getting the offense going.

2014_Hard_Knocks_HBO_NFL_Browns_Mike_Pet

2018 Cap Space: 47 million
2017 Roll Over: 6 million
2018 Total Starting Cap Room: 53 million

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11.5 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play
LB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-injuries and a big contract
LB Willie Young [4.5 million]-injuries and age
CB Marcus Cooper [4.5 million]-has been a bust and I would rather keep Prince
C Hroniss Grasu [800k]-he sucks
FB- Michael Burton [700k]-he sucks as well
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton

42 million saved
2018 Total Cap Room: 95 million

Re-signings [Year 1 Cap Hit]

CB Kyle Fuller 4 years 38 million/18 guaranteed [12]
CB Prince Amukamara 3 years 17 million/10 guaranteed [5]
LB Lamarr Houston 2 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [5]
LB Christian Jones 3 years 10 million/4 guaranteed [3]
P Pat O'Donnell 4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [3]
WR Dontrelle Inman 3 years 9 million/4 guaranteed [3]
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 4 million/.5 guaranteed [1.5]
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [2.5]
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.2 million/200k guaranteed [1.2]
LB Sam Acho 1 year 1.2 million [1.2]

RFA

WR Cam Meredith 2.4 million [2nd round tender]
CB Bryce Callahan 2.4 mllion [2nd round tender]
TE Daniel Brown 750K [Original Round] 

45 million spent
2018 Total Cap Room: 50 million 

Free Agent

*The Bears need for the offense to take a big step week 1 of 2018 and relying too much on draft picks can be a huge risk. The Bears need proven players at WR and week 1 upgrades around Trubisky.

WR Paul Richardson [Seattle] 4 years 36 million/21 guaranteed [11]

The Chiefs have built an offense with incredible speed on the outside and before that Reid did the same in Philly. The Bears will not be able to get that level of speed in one offseason, but they can add the speedy Richardson in free agency. Richardson has the 4.4 speed that they want on the outside and is enjoying a break out year for the Seahawks. With the Seahawks cap situation it is unlikely that they can afford to keep him. Richardson is not a #1, but he is another #2 with the lacking speed for the offense.

r281623_576x324_16-9.jpg

OT Chris Hubbard [Pittsburgh] 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed [9]

The Bears could stand to upgrade at OT and they have played all of 2017 with no depth at the OT position. Hubbard stepped in for the injured/suspended Marcus Gilbert at RT and played really well for the Steelers. Hubbard has also made starts at LT for the Steelers and could swing to that side in the event that Leno is injured. He has been a stand out in the run game and a very smooth pass protector. Hubbard would give the Bears an upgrade at RT and Massie would provide a massive upgrade at swing OT.

chris-hubbardjpg-351780a58967ba51.jpg

WR Albert Wilson [Kansas City] 4 years 16 million/6 guaranteed [6]

The Nagy offense goes vertical from the slot a decent amount and Wilson has the 4.4 speed to do that. Wilson also has experience in the offense, which asks the slot guy to run sweeps and do a number of different and versatile things. With Nagy as HC it is a no brainier to give him a weapon that he is use to and that he knows how to scheme for.

070517-wilson-image.jpg

K Graham Gano [Carolina] 3 years 12 million/4 guaranteed [4]

The kicking situation passed from pathetic to embarrassing awhile ago and the Bears need to stop screwing around and get a real kicker in here to support the offense. Gano has been a steady kicker for the Panthers and has a strong enough leg to kick in conditions.

Graham_Gano_Panthers_Contract_Four_Years

FB Anthony Sherman [Kansas City] 2 years 6 million/4 guaranteed [3]

I am not opposed to having a FB on the roster, but I am opposed when they suck like Michael Burton. Sherman can run, catch, and block. He is familiar with the offense and he can be a stand out special teams player.

110514-ShermanContract-Thumb--nfl_medium

TE Crockett Gilmore [Baltimore] 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]

Gilmore is coming off a knee injury and a trip to IR, but he has the size and blocking ability that the Bears need and he can come in and fill the #3 TE role behind Shaheen and Brown. Blocking TEs are great as long as you don't guarantee them 10 million and expect them to be more than they are.

Crockett-Gillmore-Ravens.jpg

35 million spent
2018 Total Cap Room: 15 million 

Draft

*It really appears that the strength of this draft early is on defense. 

1[7] OLB Clelin Ferrill [Clemson] 6'5" 260lbs.

The best place to get pass rushers is in round 1 and this year has some intriguing options. None more intriguing than the 20 year old Ferrill who has the size and speed to be a difference making edge rusher. Ferrill is also so young that I do not think we have seen his potential ceiling yet and he is already producing for a national championship defense. Ferrill has the size to play the strong side OLB across from Floyd. This gives the Bears the pass rush that they have been missing because of injuries at the OLB spot across from Floyd.

ClelinFerrell_2017.jpg?itok=osjOZ9Ih

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[39] to the Buffalo Bills for 2[49], 4th and 6th round picks. The Ryan Pace 2nd round trade down has almost become tradition.

2[49] CB Isiah Oliver [Colorado] 6'1" 195lbs.

By bringing back Fuller and Amukamara the Bears have a solid pairing of #2 CBs, but they do not have a #1 and they do not have  a lot of depth. With the offense dealt with in free agency the Bears should take advantage of the depth at CB in this draft and grab a high upside player that they can hopefully develop into a #1. Pettine plays a ton of man coverage and you need a bunch of competent cover men to make it work. Oliver is not a finished product, but he has the size and athletic ability to be a #1 CB and he has already shown strong coverage skills. This season he has 12 passes defense and 2 interceptions while missing 2 games.

Isaiah-Oliver.jpg

4. WR Trey Quinn [SMU] 6' 202lbs.

The Bears need more speed at WR and Quinn who started his career at LSU is fast. He was an accomplished high school track athlete and at SMU he has flashed that speed down the field. The Bears need someone to backup Richardson and who offers similar speed to ensure that the offense has the vertical element to keep everything clear underneath. Quinn is a player that does not need to do much early but offer an occasional down field route.

6_7663946.jpg

4.  OLB Devin Bellamy [Georgia] 6'5" 240lbs.

The Bears need multiple young pass rushers added to the team. They need depth and waves of pass rushers to send at the opposition. Bellamy has the size, length, and athletic ability to be a good outside rusher, but he is pretty raw and undeveloped. Bellamy needs to work on being a full time pass rusher. The Bears can use him on special teams while he develops into someone who can take some reps. The Bears need depth that is worth playing. Every snap that Acho takes is a bit of a waste as we know exactly what he is and it is not a starting NFL OLB.

12170313.jpeg

4. C Will Clapp [LSU] 6'5" 309lbs.

The Bears have a number of question marks on the interior line with the injuries to Kush and Long. A lack of a backup C has really hurt this season as every time Grasu comes into the game he is over matched. The Chiefs system also puts a lot on the plate of the C and does not help on the NT as much as other systems. The Bears need to secure a backup C and a player that can compete for a spot when Sitton is out of contract in 2019. Clapp has the size and power that Grasu lacks and is already a strong run blocker. Clapp can also backup at OG down the road.

willclapp.jpg?fit=700%2C423

5. ILB Nyles Morgan [Notre Dame] 6'1" 245lbs.

The Bears inside LB position has had the depth tested every single year and the Bears need to continue to add options, specifically behind Trevathan. Morgan is an all around LB that has the size and physicality to hold up in the 3-4 defense. Morgan is better against the run right now, but he has the athletic skills to improve in coverage. At a minimum in 2018 he can play short yardage snaps and on special teams.

nyles-morgan-2016.jpg

6. QB Mike White [Western Kentucky] 6'4" 225lbs.

The Bears really should start adding young QBs to the roster more often, especially with a QB focused coach and already working on developing a young QB in Trubisky. White has intriguing size and physical tools. He has put up huge numbers at Western Kentucky and he gives the Bears a really interesting developmental player. If you are going to be doing footwork and mechanics with Trubisky you might as well put another young guy beside him. The Bears need to take advantage of the fact that their new coach is an expert at the most important position in football.

wku-mike-white.jpeg

6. NT Nifea Lealao [Vanderbilt] 6'5" 320lbs.

The Bears key defenders play too many snaps and they need to add bodies to the group that can lessen the number of snaps that Hicks and Goldman play. The Bears need a backup NT with more upside than John Jenkins who is just a guy. Lealao has the size, length, and athletic ability to be more than just a guy. He needs work and coaching, but the physical tools are there for him to possibly be something.

Lealao100215.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez, White
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham
WR: Richardson, Meredith, Wilson, Inman, Ishmael, White
TE: Shaheen, Brown, Gilmore
LT: Leno
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whithair, Clapp
RG: Long, Morgan
RT:  Hubbard, Massie

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Lealao
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Bellamy, Acho
ILB: Jones/Kwaitowski
ILB: Trevathan, Timu, Morgan
OLB: Houston, Ferrill
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Oliver, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
SS: Amos, Hall/Bush
FS: Jackson, Demps

Great work. I like the offense in FA defense in draft approach. Pace doesn’t have time for rookie WRs to develop. I think I like Nagy the best. He has the street cred and the availability talent meet his systems needs nicely. Richardson and Wilson will be nice additions. I also like that will have 7 WRs. Pace can’t afford to run out of options he has to assume someone will be hurt.  I also am excited about Cohen in a Nagy system.  You address RT with just the right touch. Bears need a solid gut not a world beater. Kicker check and Sherman will be a good locker room guy that knows the system. 

I think Farrell can fit into a 3-4 and he is so young and already dominating. The bears could get two contracts out of him. He would be a great pick. The draft does a great job of fill out of needs at CB, C, DL, and mlb. The addition of Ferrell and Bellamy really give this team a young olb corps it needs. 

I think this gives a bears a chance to compete in the division next year 

I think there are some things that will happen this offseason

1. The Bears are going to over pay a WR to guarantee they get one.

2. They will try and patch 2-3 obvious holes with tier 2 free agents as they always do.

3. They will trade down at some point after only having 5 picks last years and 6 this year.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think there are some things that will happen this offseason

1. The Bears are going to over pay a WR to guarantee they get one.

2. They will try and patch 2-3 obvious holes with tier 2 free agents as they always do.

3. They will trade down at some point after only having 5 picks last years and 6 this year.

I think we take a pass rushing OLB in round 1

We trade down in round 2 and take a WR.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The 2nd round trade down is a staple of the Pace era.

I see us going OLB as well, there simply is nothing in free agency.

Trent Murphy is a decent name.

At WR I'd take a swing at Terrelle Pryor or Paul Richardson (probably will have to overpay for him) in FA.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

At WR I'd take a swing at Terrelle Pryor or Paul Richardson (probably will have to overpay for him) in FA.

Apparently Rosenhaus tried like crazy to get the Bears to bite on Pryor and they had no interest. Now DeFilippo has a relationship with him so maybe that would change things if he is hired.

Murphy is intriguing, but coming off an ACL it is back to the OLBs with injury concerns.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently Rosenhaus tried like crazy to get the Bears to bite on Pryor and they had no interest. Now DeFilippo has a relationship with him so maybe that would change things if he is hired.

Murphy is intriguing, but coming off an ACL it is back to the OLBs with injury concerns.

Pryor is going to be on a one-year prove it deal and he's got the size and speed that our team is lacking. Did a little digging into him... sounds like he has one hell of a work ethic.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Trent Murphy would be a good add but I would still go with a pass rusher in round one. 

Just now, Rogerthat said:

@WindyCity You draft Ferrell and its obvious he would be better in a 4-3 scheme you make the switch back to 4-3? or you try to let him develop in a 3-4?

Strongside OLB in a 3-4.

There is not way he is as bad in coverage as Pernell McPhee and we play 4-3 65% of the time anyway.

Agree with OLB round 1. To me that’s a no-brainer. I prefer Landry to Ferrell but that’s just personal preference. To me if we are keeping both Fuller and Prince on multi-year deals then corner moves down the need list a bit so I’d swap it with where you’re taking a WR in the 4th. James Washington seems like a great Nagy fit to me. 

Along the lines of fits, Inman (and really Meredith too) doesn’t really fit with the Nagy super speed type WR mold, so it would surprise me to see Inman get a 3-year deal in this scenario. Also, Nagy’s RBs have like 75 catches with 2 games to go so I have at least a little concern about Howard’s fit. 

I’ve opined before too about Christian Jones. I don’t see him as a starting caliber player and honestly I think Kwiatkowski is a better player already so I wouldn’t give Jones that contract. My gut says Willie Young is back too - he’s aging but showed in his limited time this year that he can still get to the QB, plus his injury was an arm and not to his legs and this is the first time in 7 years he missed more than 2 games. At his 2018 price I think he makes for really good depth at OLB. 

Archived