Do You Like the Direction CFB is Going?

The NCAA dropped the ball by not having athletes paid as university employees.

IMO boosters and others should come together and give the athletes NIL money contingent upon multi year contracts to the athletes, so if they transfer, their contracts are void. Professional athletes have contracts, so should these players.

The CFP was a no brainer, but I can’t say I like the move away from the old geographic model with the old Power 5.

I definitely miss the pageantry of the event and campus vibe.

• Like 1

Oversimplified answer: No.

College sports was originally about local people pursuing well-rounded excellence, and athletics are a part of that. The goal was self-improvement for it's own sake, it was never to make money. And most college sports are still about that, but for like 70 years now big time college football has tried to have it both ways where it acts like that tradition is the driver, but behaves more and more like an open feeder system for the NFL.

They can keep trying to eat their cake and have it too, but money talks and the more leadership designs the rules to cater to the NFL feeder system, the more fans are going to notice the local community part is gone.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Simple answer is no, but I'll still be watching, so I can't dislike it to the point that I'm no longer interested.  At least not currently, anyway.  It's moving too far away from the things that made it unique from the NFL, parts that made me fall in love with it, into more of an NFL lite model.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oversimplified answer: No.

College sports was originally about local people pursuing well-rounded excellence, and athletics are a part of that. The goal was self-improvement for it's own sake, it was never to make money. And most college sports are still about that, but for like 70 years now big time college football has tried to have it both ways where it acts like that tradition is the driver, but behaves more and more like an open feeder system for the NFL.

They can keep trying to eat their cake and have it too, but money talks and the more leadership designs the rules to cater to the NFL feeder system, the more fans are going to notice the local community part is gone.

I went back and thought of why the 2002 OSU Team was so much fun as opposed to now, or even those other OSU teams that didn’t win it all. The answer is simple, somewhere between 15-17 of those 22 starters were Ohio HS kids.

I remember every kid growing up wanted to grow up and play for “X State institution” (insert home state here) and dudes who didn’t were guys like Eddie George who wanted to play at Penn State but Jo Pa told him he was moving to LB.

Today, even with the constant portal changeover, I recognize like 3-5 names on the roster.

And the scheme always seemed to fit the geographical location. West coast offense was prime in USC, I formation and power football was pure Midwest, option and spread was all about the BIG 8/12, the ACC had dynamic athletes who caused felonious trouble, and then the SEC had a mix of everything, except of course for academic success.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I went back and thought of why the 2002 OSU Team was so much fun as opposed to now, or even those other OSU teams that didn’t win it all. The answer is simple, somewhere between 15-17 of those 22 starters were Ohio HS kids.

I remember every kid growing up wanted to grow up and play for “X State institution” (insert home state here) and dudes who didn’t were guys like Eddie George who wanted to play at Penn State but Jo Pa told him he was moving to LB.

Today, even with the constant portal changeover, I recognize like 3-5 names on the roster.

And the scheme always seemed to fit the geographical location. West coast offense was prime in USC, I formation and power football was pure Midwest, option and spread was all about the BIG 8/12, the ACC had dynamic athletes who caused felonious trouble, and then the SEC had a mix of everything, except of course for academic success.

And to be clear, I'm not arguing that one is better than the other. I watch the NFL with no team and I watch the CFB playoff even though Wisconsin will never be relevant at that level because it's good football, and I like good football.

The tent is just too big to fit UGA/OSU/Bama and non-P5 schools in it now. When the difference was in thousands of dollars it didn't matter, when it was in millions we could pretend, but these are billion dollar programs being put up against schools that are outfunded by the high schools the billion dollar programs recruit from. There needs to be more separation so the people running this thing can make rules that fit each scenario.

Ron Swanson said it best, "don't half *** two things, whole *** one thing". CFB needs to let the small schools and big schools whole *** their one thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And to be clear, I'm not arguing that one is better than the other. I watch the NFL with no team and I watch the CFB playoff even though Wisconsin will never be relevant at that level because it's good football, and I like good football.

The tent is just too big to fit UGA/OSU/Bama and non-P5 schools in it now. When the difference was in thousands of dollars it didn't matter, when it was in millions we could pretend, but these are billion dollar programs being put up against schools that are outfunded by the high schools the billion dollar programs recruit from. There needs to be more separation so the people running this thing can make rules that fit each scenario.

Ron Swanson said it best, "don't half *** two things, whole *** one thing". CFB needs to let the small schools and big schools whole *** their one thing.

Are you meaning a formal separation like how FBS and FCS have been?  So 3 "divisions" under the D-1 umbrella? 
basically:
1. B1G and SEC, plus the other Top P5
2. Lower revenue end of current P5/G5  
3. FCS

Edited by OkeyDoke21

Just now, OkeyDoke21 said:

Are you meaning like a formal separation like FBS and FCS?  So 3 "divisions" under the D-1 umbrella? 
basically:
1. B1G and SEC, plus the other Top P5
2. Lower revenue end of current P5/G5  
3. FCS

More and more, yeah because I don't know how else to reconcile these 2 things:

1. The 4* recruit that goes to a blue blood and sits should not miss out on the millions of NFL dollars because the transfer portal makes fans mad
  2. Fans of CFB do not connect as well to mercenary type players blatantly trying out for the NFL

Even the employee angle only goes so far. The kids who want to make the NFL have to play, so if they are sitting as NIL contractors or sitting as employees it doesn't solve the problem from their end.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

1. The 4* recruit that goes to a blue blood and sits should not miss out on the millions of NFL dollars because the transfer portal makes fans mad
  2. Fans of CFB do not connect as well to mercenary type players blatantly trying out for the NFL

Even the employee angle only goes so far. The kids who want to make the NFL have to play, so if they are sitting as NIL contractors or sitting as employees it doesn't solve the problem from their end.

I think I actually agree with this as just a general idea.  Not positive on how it would look, but it does allow for them to cater to each level more effectively.  As a fan of a school that would probably be right near that theoretical cut off line (WVU), where they're either bumped down and left behind, or held up and overmatched, I could still get behind the premise. 

I would be paying more attention to that top level, even if it is the one that would most represent the changes that I have not been a fan of, even if my team were to be put in that 2nd tier.  It probably really hurts those middle tier teams that are partially buoyed by the presence of the huge programs, but it might be the best alternative.  Something has to give, regardless. 

It's almost like separating the National brand prep schools from the traditional high schools.   Similar concept.  I'd like to see what it would look like a little more fleshed out.

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I think I actually agree with this as just a general idea.  Not positive on how it would look, but it does allow for them to cater to each level better.  As a fan of a school that would probably be right near that theoretical cut off line (WVU) where they're either bumped down and left behind, or held up and overmatched, I could still get behind that idea.  I would be paying more attention to that top level, even if it is the one that would most represent the changes that I have not been a fan of, even if my team was put in that 2nd tier.

Yep the dividing line of making this work for schools is the tricky part. English soccer uses relegation/promotion to squeeze Man City and the London PD in the same pyramid but that doesn't work here when each school has dozens of sports.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I can’t help but wonder the fallout that it’ll have on smaller schools. We used to schedule teams (when I played baseball) like Wright State, Valparaiso, UC, and get beat, but they basically paid us to beat us. It funded our equipment, our dinners, and our spring break trip to Florida.

Imagine this on a macro scale.

OSU gave Youngstown State a state of the art facility that all students use. When you play 11 conference games, what happens to the MAC teams? Are they going to a revenue sharing ala MLB? Or are they out of luck?

Just a stream of consciousness here.

53 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let’s also be real here, for as much as the universities profit off of these athletes, their value is also tied directly to that specific institution and the jerseys they wear, which means these institutions deserve a cut of their profit, which is why it made sense to 1099 them as university employees. 

Granted, exceptions for some people apply, mostly along the likes of female athletes like Olivia Dunne and Caitlyn Clark, for 2 completely different reasons, for example.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep the dividing line of making this work for schools is the tricky part. English soccer uses relegation/promotion to squeeze Man City and the London PD in the same pyramid but that doesn't work here when each school has dozens of sports.

I think at that point football is going to be treated almost like a separate entity.  The other sports would still operate under their current systems.  You'll have more schools fielding teams in different conferences than you do now, but that's not something new, but it would be more prevalent.  The other sports, outside of maybe basketball, should probably be more regional anyway.  Then you have the top tier football level that would be national conferences.  Basically an NFC/AFC model, at that point.  Your volleyball team probably shouldn't have to be playing a weekday game across the country multiple times a year.  Not even talking about the financial ramifications of that, but just from a logistics perspective.  Student Athlete wouldn't even be lip service, it'd be an outright lie. 

I don't know how any of that factors into something like Title IX, or the advantage some of those schools are going to have from the financial windfall their football team would create.  There is already an advantage for those athletic departments now, but I think this kind of system increases that multitudes.  I have no idea what the best solution is, or what they will end up doing, but it is fun to think about.      

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Let’s also be real here, for as much as the universities profit off of these athletes, their value is also tied directly to that specific institution and the jerseys they wear, which means these institutions deserve a cut of their profit, which is why it made sense to 1099 them as university employees. 

Granted, exceptions for some people apply, mostly along the likes of female athletes like Olivia Dunne and Caitlyn Clark, for 2 completely different reasons, for example.

Yeah I think making them employees is part of the answer to centralize the money and establishing a real benefits package. That probably does cut into the super high end NIL deals, but the best players in every single pro sport are underpaid that's not a bad sign necessarily.

13 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I think at that point football is going to be treated almost like a separate entity.  The other sports would still operate under their current systems.  You'll have more schools fielding teams in different conferences than you do now, but that's not something new, but it would be more prevalent.  The other sports, outside of maybe basketball, should probably be more regional anyway.  Then you have the top tier football level that would be national conferences.  Basically an NFC/AFC model, at that point.  Your volleyball team probably shouldn't have to be playing a weekday game across the country multiple times a year.  Not even talking about the financial ramifications of that, but just from a logistics perspective.  Student Athlete wouldn't even be lip service, it'd be an outright lie. 

I don't know how any of that factors into something like Title IX, or the advantage some of those schools are going to have from the financial windfall their football team would create.  There is already an advantage for those athletic departments now, but I think this kind of system increases that multitudes.  I have no idea what the best solution is, or what they will end up doing, but it is fun to think about.   

Title IX's scholarship equivalency requirement may (FINALLY) be getting nuked as part of the settlement coming.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-new-college-athlete-compensation-model-may-cost-power-schools-300m-each-over-10-years-003140102.html

The 10-year settlement agreement could cost each power school as much as $300 million over the decade, or $30 million a year. That figure assumes a school meets what is believed to be: (1) a $17-22 million revenue distribution cap for athletes; (2) at least $2 million in withheld NCAA distribution for back damages; and (3) as much as $10 million in additional scholarship costs related to an expansion of sport-specific roster sizes — a concept previously unpublicized.

The final financial concept to any new model involves the implementation of roster limits and the expansion of scholarships across those limits. For instance, under current rules, the NCAA permits schools to distribute 11.7 scholarships across a baseball roster of 32 players.

Under this new model, schools may now choose to provide a scholarship to each roster position — however many are determined for that specific sport. The same goes for other sports, including football, which could see its roster limit actually reduced. The NCAA recently increased the football roster limit for preseason camp from 110 players to 120.

To say that's a good thing IMO is an understatement. This is one of those cases where going from an equal model to a fair model only helps young men in non-revenue generating sports without hurting anyone.

The news coming out this past week on this settlement has me very excited about CFB more than I've been in a long time. One other good nugget in there:

There are other options too, such as reducing coaching and administrative salaries. Salaries and buyouts are responsible for nearly 40% of athletic department budgets in FBS, according to data from the Knight Commission. Another 20% of budgets are related to facility construction, renovation and debt.

Already, schools are gearing up to slice salaries. Within the contract of Missouri’s new athletic director, Laird Veatch, there will feature a “force majeure provision” related to potential changes in the college sports financial model, according to the Columbia Tribune. Model changes could trigger a renegotiation of his deal, according to the outlet.

Short college coaching salaries because the bubble is popping boys.