Najee NO 5th yr Option

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what about another CB1 if the class is good?  

I think  the Steelers CB situation is now and will be a lot better than people think…the whole secondary and LBs as a matter of fact. They need a young, dominant defensive lineman to pair with Benton.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Because I could also toss this one out there: he’s guaranteed $6.8mil the next year regardless of how good or bad he is, so what’s the incentive to perform knowing you get money coming. 

Because there is still light at the end of the tunnel on 1 solid contract post that second year. He just gets the security of not worrying that one injury completely derails his financial earning future. Running backs do not recoup lost value. 

I would say the best way I can express my point: would you sign a RB to a 2 year $9.4 mil fully guaranteed deal who’s been declining in touches and shown to be more valuable in a role share and doesn’t offer much as a pass protector or pass catcher?

I'd be more than happy to entertain this question with the BS removed. Their liking of Warren doesn't mean a disliking of Najee. His touches declined because they have Warren and he is worth a workload. And part of that decrease was simply because of how many they gave him rookie year. 381 was tops that year, he was 6th in 2022, and 9th in 2021. Let's not act like they are deleting him from the offense. 

His role went down as a pass protector because that was the easiest role to carve out for snaps with Warren, who is also very good at it. Najee was in the top 10 of pass blocking rank in 2022 (link, not underlined) and did a fantastic job of it his rookie year (link) as well, with a 7% pressure rate on 128 snaps with just on sack allowed. For context, Le'veon Bell who was a tremendous pass blocking back gave up 12% pressure and 2 sacks on 75 pass blocking snaps his rookie year.  

In terms of pass catching, it's hard for me to have watched him and say he isn't adept at it. Not Christian McCaffrey, but by no means bad. Heck, look at the catch he had to beat the Ravens. But usage can be linked back to Canada and the QBs. He had more targets with Ben in his rookie season than running backs in total did in 2022. 

But to answer the bold part of the question, why is a role share a bad thing? Gimme both guys. I think they work tremendously well together as they are both well rounded, 3 down backs who excel at different things. Variety is the spice of life, and I really like our RB room the way it is. Hell yes I would pay $9.4M for 2 years of that. 

Yea you may have more information on Najee, but he’s a power inside type, Smith does more outside zone, so you need to see if he really is a fit for that

But we do have information on that. 

I posted these links earlier:

Quote from the first one: "...learning that outside zone was the second most utilized run type by Pittsburgh, at a respectable 4.2 YPA from primary RB's Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren."

"Harris fared best with 4.3 outside zone YPA, compared to Warren at 3.7 YPA, with the latter holding the better inside zone mark"

We sure we don't know the fit, fellas? Sure seems like we should have an idea of the fit...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

We sure we don't know the fit, fellas? Sure seems like we should have an idea of the fit...

more players playing out of position then? what else is new

I expect both RB's to do well once Fautanu is out there, the OL has too much talent now to not have the run game be good to elite

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

if a contender loses their RB(s) during camp, preseason and then early in the regular season, I could see a trade then.  Thats if Harris isn't lighting it up here. Why trade a player if they are having a great season is how I would see it as the season goes on regarding an in season trade .

RB's a long time ago had their time and got paid. Now it;s the OL turn and I doubt that changes now that people know the OL makes/breaks most RB's . 

Finally we have a FO that realizes this.

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

is this drama /controversy with Najee going to last thru the season? 

I hope smith  has the plays that worked for Najee at the end of last season, but with THIS OL .   

As I have said before, it's not so easy as to just add a few plays to your playback. You have to have all the setup plays too.

How about we just hope he runs well in the offense instead of developing around a player that may not be here in the near future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

As I have said before, it's not so easy as to just add a few plays to your playback. You have to have all the setup plays too.

How about we just hope he runs well in the offense instead of developing around a player that may not be here in the near future.

if runs well all the better. It's just that we know he ran really well last year at the end with a much less OL  .  We might have lots of yards on the ground no matter what /who so wait and see.  I think Frazier and Troy will be a major improvement to the OL regardless of scheme.

While this all seems good on paper, will it take this coaching staff half the season or longer  to get it sorted out? I took until probably week 12 last year approx to get the run game going more consistently . 

Najee is getting some bad press and some of that is typical nfl gossip.  Media listening to birds and other click bait types.