Najee NO 5th yr Option

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

You should always want to with RBs. Personally I don’t think it’s that big a gamble to be more confident in knowing it would work. 

Ok. That’s fine you feel that way but at minimum, stating it again, the different is $3m going this route, max $6m if you exclusive tag him. 

A max $6m and losing a valuable tag that could be used elsewhere if you picked up the option. 

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

A max $6m and losing a valuable tag that could be used elsewhere if you picked up the option. 

Who else are you using the tag on next year? Wilson, Fields, Cam, Muth, Daniels are the other FA. I feel like Muth and Daniels are extended before the season. I think Cam comes back but not extended. So it would be down to Najee or one of the QBs, which is teams unless they absolutely blow up there wouldn’t be a huge market for. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That’s fine you feel that way but at minimum, stating it again, the different is $3m going this route, max $6m if you exclusive tag him

I just don't care about the numbers. I would have rather had a guy who probably wanted to be here than one that can't wait to get out...

...tagging him is just a second middle finger (especially if you do the transition tag just to lower that number). Not super interested in that. 

Said it earlier in the thread: There's a business decision and the right decision. They aren't always the same. If they truthfully just wanted to see his "fit" before making the decision, I would throw an extra $1M at him right now and add incentives on workload to make it worth his while. Not a lot of guys come back when the 5th year is declined...I am not expecting him to either. 

12 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

They don't necessarily though. They have information about him in previous offenses he has been in. That doesn't always translate to a new offense. Meanwhile, Arthur Smith may see someone from another team running an offense that asks the RB to do similar things to his offense and be MORE sure that they will be a fit.

EVERY roster move is a gamble. 7m GUARANTEED is tough when you can transition tag if he shows out. If he walks after this year, you still have Warren on the team and would only need a secondary back. It's not as if Harris is the only back in the room or has shown that much more than Warren (if at all) to this point.

If they don't know if he will fit, they won't know if a prospect will fit. The first-hand knowledge they have on Najee gives him the advantage IMO. That's worth <$7m IMO as I think his price will only go up. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You should always want to with RBs. Personally I don’t think it’s that big a gamble to be more confident in knowing it would work. 

Ok. That’s fine you feel that way but at minimum, stating it again, the different is $3m going this route, max $6m if you exclusive tag him. 

If both of these backs prove that they fit nicely into the system through an entire season, I'd offer them both 3 year, 15-20 million dollar deals. Warren will probably bite, and his restricted status helps us to make sure that we don't lose him for 2025. If Najeh wants more money, turn him in for a rookie model with similar traits (e.g. size, strength, heart, some wiggle, decent receiver, good contact balance, etc.), but one that hopefully has better vision and explosiveness. 

I could really see DL and then RB to start the next draft...

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just don't care about the numbers. I would have rather had a guy who probably wanted to be here than one that can't wait to get out...

...tagging him is just a second middle finger (especially if you do the transition tag just to lower that number). Not super interested in that. 

Said it earlier in the thread: There's a business decision and the right decision. They aren't always the same. If they truthfully just wanted to see his "fit" before making the decision, I would throw an extra $1M at him right now and add incentives on workload to make it worth his while. Not a lot of guys come back when the 5th year is declined...I am not expecting him to either. 

So you want the warm fuzzy feeling then of a guy knowing their under contract over saying we can control him another year no matter what if we want to. 

2 minutes ago, rlon said:

If both of these backs prove that they fit nicely into the system through an entire season, I'd offer them both 3 year, 15-20 million dollar deals. Warren will probably bite, and his restricted status helps us to make sure that we don't lose him for 2025. If Najeh wants more money, turn him in for a rookie model with similar traits (e.g. size, strength, heart, some wiggle, decent receiver, good contact balance, etc.), but one that hopefully has better vision and explosiveness. 

I think some of this is they don’t want to pay both RBs at once, so they are putting them in competition knowing they can cap one and let the other one walk. 

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If they don't know if he will fit, they won't know if a prospect will fit. The first-hand knowledge they have on Najee gives him the advantage IMO. That's worth <$7m IMO as I think his price will only go up. 

Disagree, as I have said multiple times already, prospects or FA may have run similar offenses already to what Smith will run.

This is a pointless conversation also if you don't see the difference between guaranteeing 7M vs a cheap rookie contract or a FA contract with WAY less guaranteed money.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So you want the warm fuzzy feeling then of a guy knowing their under contract over saying we can control him another year no matter what if we want to

I want a player more focused on his play than what he needs to do to protect himself because he is thinking about his exit. I am sure you would agree there is a difference between getting 300+ touches for a team at a position that devalues with each one being paid $2.4M and having an uncertain future vs being paid $9.2M over the next two seasons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Disagree, as I have said multiple times already, prospects or FA may have run similar offenses already to what Smith will run.

This is a pointless conversation also if you don't see the difference between guaranteeing 7M vs a cheap rookie contract or a FA contract with WAY less guaranteed money.

Pointless because you think a scout team will know more about a college player than a player that has been in their building for 3 years. 

28 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I want a player more focused on his play than what he needs to do to protect himself because he is thinking about his exit. I am sure you would agree there is a difference between getting 300+ touches for a team at a position that devalues with each one being paid $2.4M and having an uncertain future vs being paid $9.2M over the next two seasons. 

There’s a difference but if he plays like that he isn’t gonna get paid next year to that level (guessing) which is always the catch-22. 

Because I could also toss this one out there: he’s guaranteed $6.8mil the next year regardless of how good or bad he is, so what’s the incentive to perform knowing you get money coming. 

Also just side note on Najee - his touches every year has declined. 2021 was 307 Carries and 74 catches, 2022 was 272 Carries and 41 catches, 2023 was 255 carries and 29 catches. 

I would say the best way I can express my point: would you sign a RB to a 2 year $9.4 mil fully guaranteed deal who’s been declining in touches and shown to be more valuable in a role share and doesn’t offer much as a pass protector or pass catcher?

36 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Pointless because you think a scout team will know more about a college player than a player that has been in their building for 3 years. 

I think this is a bit of a false equivalency. Yea you may have more information on Najee, but he’s a power inside type, Smith does more outside zone, so you need to see if he really is a fit for that. Sure that’s what they tended to do at Bama, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be good at it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think this is a bit of a false equivalency. Yea you may have more information on Najee, but he’s a power inside type, Smith does more outside zone, so you need to see if he really is a fit for that. Sure that’s what they tended to do at Bama, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be good at it. 

It's not. Are they only going to consider a prospect that runs the same scheme?  Probably not. So, you have to take educated guesses as to if the player's traits translate. They have a front row seat with Najee. Couple that with all the intangibles they see, it's safe to say he has an advantage as it relates to the team being familiar with him. "Not sure if he fits" is NOT the reason they didn't sign him. They either already know he doesn't (doubt it) or they just don't want to spend the guaranteed money (that's the reason). I believe it'd be worth it. You the team and others don't. No big deal. 

2 hours ago, rlon said:

what about another CB1 if the class is good?