The playoffs!

Just now, vike daddy said:

Bradford played very well last year, our third string offensive line did not.

success or failure usually has a lot more to do with than just who the QB is, you know that.

Thanks for Derek Barnett. 

Just now, vike daddy said:

he played meh...

other than the whole setting an NFLall time record for completion percentage, yeah.

you're right, meh.

but this discussion is about this year's playoffs, supposedly. let's stay there.

Edited my post with a bit of followup.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Edited my post with a bit of followup.

sigh... of course Bradford was checking down, with a literal third string 0-line you don't have time to develop longer passes.

why are we talking about Bradford though? it's not the topic of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

He played meh

passer-rating-vs-league-average_BRA10154

Bradford literally had the lowest "Average Intended Air Yards" in 2016 in the entire league at 7.2 yards through the air on an attempt. 

He's captain Checkdown, his numbers should be pretty good since he played it safe.

Well, when you have a second and a half to throw the ball, that shouldn't come as a surprise.  

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Bradford played very well last year, our third string offensive line did not.

success or failure usually has a lot more to do with than just who the QB is, you know that.

Until everyone figured out Bradford isn't ever going to win you anything. His completion percentage doesn't tell the whole story. And it's more like his high completion percentage is the reason why the team went nowhere. Keenum is in the same mold. He'll do enough most games to keep you in but will ultimately show his form if/when relied upon. The defense is phenomenal. And you need to hope the game doesn't turn offensive. 

Sure. But good QBs can make a bad team good and a good team great. The Vikings are good. Keenum just keeps them good. He knows his role. If/once he needs to start pushing the ball, he'll miscue. He's Case Keenum. Should I be looking at a 30 year old, career backup and be trembling? 

Like I said, not worried about Keenum at all. The other half of the Vikings? Absolutely. 

I watched Sam Bradford for a whole year. And rarely was I impressed. I have to question anyone's eyes and football acumen when they tell me Bradford is good. Especially watching every snap for a year. He's the definition of middling. In order to be great in this league as a QB, you have to push the ball in spots. Sometimes spots that are uncomfortable. But the good ones complete passes where average ones would fail to even attempt the throw. Guys like Bradford will take the easy 4 yard completion over a 12 yard tight window 9 times out of 10. Even when the game is on the line or when the team needs to be put on his back. He's scared of failure or turning the ball over or having the blame. I dunno. Something. He doesn't have it. Keenum may have it. But he lacks the skill/mental ability to get it done. He'll show his colors. Playoffs tend to expose these things and Case's case will be no different. He'll ride that defense as much as he can. As he should. But it's the playoffs and it's a test for every team, no matter how good they are. And there will come a time where the ball will be solely on Keenum and he'll just be Case Keenum. 

19 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I watched Sam Bradford for a whole year. And rarely was I impressed. I have to question anyone's eyes and football acumen when they tell me Bradford is good. Especially watching every snap for a year. He's the definition of middling. In order to be great in this league as a QB, you have to push the ball in spots. Sometimes spots that are uncomfortable. But the good ones complete passes where average ones would fail to even attempt the throw. Guys like Bradford will take the easy 4 yard completion over a 12 yard tight window 9 times out of 10. Even when the game is on the line or when the team needs to be put on his back. He's scared of failure or turning the ball over or having the blame. I dunno. Something. He doesn't have it. Keenum may have it. But he lacks the skill/mental ability to get it done. He'll show his colors. Playoffs tend to expose these things and Case's case will be no different. He'll ride that defense as much as he can. As he should. But it's the playoffs and it's a test for every team, no matter how good they are. And there will come a time where the ball will be solely on Keenum and he'll just be Case Keenum. 

I won't pretend to know about Keenum, but that's completely accurate for Bradford.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He had 2.48 seconds to throw the ball on average, not by any means great, but hyperbole is hyperbole.

On average is not what we were seeing the last half of the season.  

And while I'm certainly not going to profess that Bradford is the greatest thing since sliced bread, when he's healthy, he is an upper echelon QB.  Maybe you didn't see it in 2015 or in our game last season, but he did show it Week 1 of this season.  What Jroc indicated above as the sign of being great in this league, Bradford had it Week 1. If anything, he's just too soft physically...anything less than completely healthy, he's middling.  I don't know.  

Archived