What 2 Watch 4

skibrett15

Season is over, so what are you guys going to look for in the remaining 2 games, what will you try to measure, and what would constitute success or failure?

Clearly, 2 games is not a huge sample size, but with the focus less on winning the game, we can all try to find some areas we enjoy watching.

For me:

1) The OLB group.  Who is effective, what kind of role would they play next year, what are their strengths and weaknesses?

a) Is Clay Matthews a #2 pass rusher?  Is he effective on the edge vs a Tackle?  Is he a hybrid OLB/MLB, and if so, what does he do well besides rush the passer?

b) Is Vince Biegel a 3rd or 4th rusher?  Show me something Vince

c) Is Ahmad Brooks worth keeping next year?  Anecdotally, I think Brooks was better than most of the 3rd/4th guys that we've had in the past.  Is that true?

2) Josh Jones, the safety. 

a) Is Josh Jones capable of being a safety who plays a deep part of the field?  Is he just a LB?  Who can he cover?

b) Can he be more decisive in his pre-snap diagnosis?

3) The zone read.

a) Aaron Jones and Brett Hundley in the zone read might be the best running play in the NFL.  Are we actually running zone read, or is the read "pre-determined" with Hundley?  I have a sneaking suspicion it is.

4) Flat slant passing, and non-flat slant passing.

This team seems to have 2 passing games.  Normal dropback, shotgun, PA game passing.  And pre-defined flat slat screen passes to outside WRs like Adams and Cobb.  I hate those plays outside the red zone.  Are they setting things up for the other passing game though?  There's definitely a reason it's a big part of our game, and has been for the Mac era.  We don't have WRs who can really punish teams creeping up on this stuff, and I don't think Cobb has ever caught one of those wheel routes... ever.  Why do we do this like... 100% more than any other team?

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think Cobb has ever caught one of those wheel routes... ever. 

Cobb vs Ninkovich/Pats on Sunday November 30th, 2014

What to watch: kicking some individual *** on the divisionals

Spriggs progress, Rookie RBs ability to handle double A gap blitzes from Zimmer

Does LB Odom deserve a roster spot ?

Young CB crew: who deserves a longer look

WR Michael Clark

Wr:  Davis, Allison, Janis.  What do they have.  No reason to play Adams or Nelson.  Cobb in the slot and the others on the edge.

Rb:  What can Jones and Williams do in pass pro, passing game routes.

OL:  Spriggs at RT, is there a PS call up option for RG to get a look?

DL:  What does Adams offer?  

OLB: Are there any pass rush options in Fackrell and Biegel?

QB: What has Hundley gained in experience and how much further growth is there.?

Time to give Brooks reps to Biegel and Dial's to Adams. I want to see Chris Odom, Michael Clark and Pipkins/Brown get some reps.

I want to see Mac sub Williams and Jones on a play by play basis. The Lacy/Starks switch off per drive needs to die a sudden death.

Beyond that I don't see anything changing for Jones/HHCD, this scheme has failed them.

I honestly don't see anything exciting to watch for.  I'm still going to watch because I'm a glutton for punishment, but...

Kevin King - Done.
Josh Jones - Not gonna suddenly start looking good unless Capers is fired.
Adams - It's a bad season if he gets a lot of playing time in 2018.
Aaron Jones - Why use the most exciting running back we've had since Ahman Green when we can not run at all instead?

Nick Perry is only as good as he is on the field.
Clay Matthews isn't going to be a starting pass rusher next year no matter what happens.  This is his pass rush swan song.  Hopefully he can make a few plays.  For old time's sake.

There's nobody that's going to suddenly flash that hasn't already because even out of the playoffs we won't give those players opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I honestly don't see anything exciting to watch for.  I'm still going to watch because I'm a glutton for punishment, but...

Kevin King - Done.
Josh Jones - Not gonna suddenly start looking good unless Capers is fired.
Adams - It's a bad season if he gets a lot of playing time in 2018.
Aaron Jones - Why use the most exciting running back we've had since Ahman Green when we can not run at all instead?

Nick Perry is only as good as he is on the field.
Clay Matthews isn't going to be a starting pass rusher next year no matter what happens.  This is his pass rush swan song.  Hopefully he can make a few plays.  For old time's sake.

There's nobody that's going to suddenly flash that hasn't already because even out of the playoffs we won't give those players opportunities. 

Mike (Evans) Clark.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Mike (Evans) Clark.

If Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Kendricks, Rodgers, Janis and Davis got concussions in  the first quarter, McCarthy would play tackles at receiver and guards at tight end.  He's never getting on the field. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Kendricks, Rodgers, Janis and Davis got concussions in  the first quarter, McCarthy would play tackles at receiver and guards at tight end.  He's never getting on the field. 

I hope we don't see Adams for the rest of the year either. Use these 2 weeks to extend him.

Give Adams spot to Clark on the active roster. Rotate him with Allison.

Wanted Davante to get to 1,000 soooo bad. Oh well

I’ll be watching Williams and Jones the most. Wouldn’t mind if Mays got a chance to redeem himself. I don’t even know who to watch on defense. Vince should get a lot of reps these last couple weeks. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Is there really a reason they don't use Jones more? He was a blast in college and he really impressed me this year and actually fears me more than anybody on your roster outside of A.aron himself.

I realize he was injured there for a bit, but is it still nagging him?

He's a poor pass blocker, he didn't play much because I imagine we were being cautious and didn't want anyone in there who wasn't above average in that regard.

Archived