Week 16 GDT: Rams (Good record) at Titans (progressively worse record)

titans0021

37 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

This could be the game that the run game dedication could pay off. LA is 3rd worst yard per rush in the league. I live in DC and the Redskins are pathetic running the ball and they gashed them. Just have to keep it close enough. 

Titans can’t run on anyone and that’s a fact. What really isn’t helping the run game and I know he’s dinged up but there has to be an attempt once a game but the Titans need to run Mariota to ever have a chance to run successfully 

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Titans can’t run on anyone and that’s a fact. What really isn’t helping the run game and I know he’s dinged up but there has to be an attempt once a game but the Titans need to run Mariota to ever have a chance to run successfully 

I thought the run game was pretty decent against the 49ers.  Of course with every run game you have a couple negative runs, but I remember a couple plays where the line completely blew the defenders off the ball.

I think where we can succeed is if we take advantage of a defensive line that wants to get to the passer. Maybe have them run themselves out position. 

50 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I thought the run game was pretty decent against the 49ers.  Of course with every run game you have a couple negative runs, but I remember a couple plays where the line completely blew the defenders off the ball.

I think where we can succeed is if we take advantage of a defensive line that wants to get to the passer. Maybe have them run themselves out position. 

You could be right and I know he starts very slow but Henry needs more carries. I know he goes down easy and it really isn’t and it’s not a  hein site thing because late in that game I was screaming where’s Henry when Murray clearly faded from the first half but I wish Henry got the ball on 3rd and 2 over Murray if we were to try and run anyone but he probably gets stopped anyway. 

I’m curious to see how Sunday goes this is the most adversity this team faced all year it’s nut crunching time though I’m curious to see if this team has it in them to stand up and push back and grow a set and come out and play the game of its life.

Another way Mariota can help the run game is this needs to be the game Sunday that Mariota becomes “the guy” and his team and takes the next step in front of our very eyes. Mariota needs at Rodgers, Brady, McNair of old type of performance where he picks this team up and carries them on his back. Is it ideal that he has to do this? No but to be an elite guy you have to do it at times. Granted it can’t be done every week but we need it atleast once this year and we need it now. I don’t want to depend on other teams losing to back our way into the playoffs I want the Titans to earn it 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000895921/Instant-Playbook-Keys-to-stopping-the-Rams-offense

Good breakdown on "How to stop the Rams."

Sidenote: I couldn't help but notice some of the exact plays and formations we use and run. With the all popular "2-man" routes.

But with them it seems to be all about that run game. Stop the run and you have a chance. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000895921/Instant-Playbook-Keys-to-stopping-the-Rams-offense

Good breakdown on "How to stop the Rams."

Sidenote: I couldn't help but notice some of the exact plays and formations we use and run. With the all popular "2-man" routes.

But with them it seems to be all about that run game. Stop the run and you have a chance. 

The two-man routes worked for us too when we could run the ball. The problem is that if you stop the run you also stop the pass. You have to be able to do other things as well and the Rams have the highest YPP in the NFL out of the trips set. 

Mariota has to run out of the read option and on pass plays to keep the defense honest. Otherwise the Rams DL is going to feast. I agree with a poster above that Marcus needs to carry this team the next 2 weeks regardless. Gurley had 4 TDs last week, I can see a repeat this week if they don't stop him.

53 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Getting blown out or run all over isn't realistic because it's what SHOULD happen

The "TITAN" thing to do on Sunday would be to absolutely explode on O and beat the crap out of the Rams

31-17 Titans. Extend Mularkey immediately after!!

You are correct. Classic TITAN thing and then lay an egg against the Jags next week. All the while all the "playoff scenarios" line up to them just needing to beat Jags and get in. Like Vince's second year when the Titans missed the playoffs when all they had to do was win to get in. SMH.

4 minutes ago, lamont said:

You are correct. Classic TITAN thing and then lay an egg against the Jags next week. All the while all the "playoff scenarios" line up to them just needing to beat Jags and get in. Like Vince's second year when the Titans missed the playoffs when all they had to do was win to get in. SMH.

That was Vince's rookie year, where we needed to have an insane amount of things happen for us to have a chance at getting in the playoffs. Those things happened, but we still had to beat the Pats, who weren't sitting anyone, then thoroughly steamrolled us.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

That was Vince's rookie year, where we needed to have an insane amount of things happen for us to have a chance at getting in the playoffs. Those things happened, but we still had to beat the Pats, who weren't sitting anyone, then thoroughly steamrolled us.

Yep we needed like 4 games to go our way. And it happened with someone hitting like a GW FG. I want to say Jay Cutler was involved somehow. Patriots even had like Testerverde throw a TD I think that game.

I'm hoping to have the feeling when we played the Jags on that Thursday night when we were up like 35-0 in the first half. 

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I stand corrected. I still remember the pic of Vince on the sidelines with his head in his hands. Then he decided to stay at The University of Texas that following spring instead of coming back to learn Chow's offense. He got the Madden cover. Kerry Collins, Rusty Smith, Hassabeck, Jake Locker...  UGGHH .. Snap out of it Lamont. 

Sorry Guys. Time for my Titan therapy session..... LOL!

Hola. Thank you for Jared Goff. Giving up the #5 pick last year wasn't ideal, but he's proven to be more than worth it to us. I hope you guys also emerge as winners from the trade. I really like Corey Davis. Hopefully, the health issues won't linger.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Hola. Thank you for Jared Goff. Giving up the #5 pick last year wasn't ideal, but he's proven to be more than worth it to us. I hope you guys also emerge as winners from the trade. I really like Corey Davis. Hopefully, the health issues won't linger.

Thank you for the bounty in return. :) 

The players are a central piece to our team.  I think Davis will be just fine. Next year with hopefully a new offense and also healthy off-season. I think we see what that #5 pick was worth. We've seen flashes. 

McVay has really put it all together. New LT, C, WRs and offensive approach has transformed Goff. Interested to see how the followup year goes, after teams get a sense of the offense more. McVay seems to be the innovative type though. 

Well today is a game that could set the road of the franchise for years to come. 

Get blown out and maybe eliminated from playoff contentions and see Murlakey and staff put in boiling fire hot seat.
Or
Win and see our playoff hopes stay alive, along with the possibility of Murlakey staying. 

Archived