Shedeur Sanders is going to be...

Slappy Mc

I don’t think anyone can really say, at this point, who’s likely to be #1 overall. 

This isn’t going to be LBJ getting Bronny over drafted type of thing. Deion can say whatever he wants, but he’s not going to have pull in getting Shedeur up to #1 or into the top 3. 

Playing Hollywood and being like some of these NBA dads isn’t going to bode well for the kid, IMO.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

If that happens, I guess we can slot Miami in as a playoff team. As a Miami fan, I love Ward but I also know Cristobal is garbage as a gameday coach and his offenses always underperform so it’s hard to see it for me. I do think Ward is better than Sanders though.

I'm not sure about Ward being better than Sanders (If anything I would call it a push) but I do think Ward is going to have Miami better than they've been in a while, Him and Restrepo (who is my guy at WR) are going to be a major problem for anybody they play. They had really good chemistry in their spring game I look for that to carry over to the season. 

Cristobal may be crappy as a gameday coach with bad offenses but I think Ward's improvisational skills will bail them out of a lot of crappy situations which will make Cristobal look good for at least a season. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I haven't watched much of Sanders, but I don't think he's a consensus first overall pick or even top 10 pick. I think most of the draft media believes Beck is the best QB prospect going into the 2024 college season, with a bunch of guys, including Sanders, vying for first round consideration. That said, I am firmly at the front lines of the Shedeur Sanders hater brigade.

Thank you, agreed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Well if thats your opinion then Sanders is already good...thats kind of what I mean.....whatever your thoughts on them is, its the same prospect to me

😕

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:53 PM, RuskieTitan said:

What if he went to a team with a good offensive line, like Philadelphia or Detroit?

If he goes to PHI or DET then his sacks would be down to 0, but more from the fact he'd be QB2 than the OL. lol

• Like 2

I think there is a lot to like with Sanders. I get all the social media stuff is annoying and of course his Dad says stupid things but overall a prospect he's pretty impressive and I wouldn't write him off. I notice a lot of media and fans in general are cheering for his downfall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I think there is a lot to like with Sanders. I get all the social media stuff is annoying and of course his Dad says stupid things but overall a prospect he's pretty impressive and I wouldn't write him off. I notice a lot of media and fans in general are cheering for his downfall.

I had him as QB4 in this draft behind Williams, Maye and Daniels. I am pretty happy knowing MIN got McCarthy rather than Sanders TBH, as KOC would have been able to be a bigger pain in the *** with Sanders running his offense IMO.

It will be interesting how he does, the #1 overall pick talk is absurd and will not happen.

He does play for his father of course who totally slants his team around the success of his kid at QB.  Then again one could argue Deion might have never had that great of success at Jackson State if Shedeur was not the QB.  So will be interesting how each would do without the other then again maybe Deion is long gone to the NFL after his kid leaves.  Shedeur does see the field and spreads the ball around but he also takes an insanity amount of sacks.  Even at Jackson State was sacked 35 and 23 times his two years there and last year a shocking 52 times.  Has a QB in recent memory ever been sacked that much in three years?  I doubt it, and yeah it is not all his fault and they had some bad offensive lines but it also shows that Shedeur holds onto the ball too much, presses a lot and is constantly scrambling to extend the play.  

Good for him he does not throw a ton of INTs which is impressive.  

Will be interesting how Colorado does this year with another team that honestly is not that much different than last year outside of a slightly better OL.  Did get some decent guys but also lost some surprising players who they just brought into Colorado and they have already left.  The hype around them early last year was ridiculous and I was glad to see them fail but it was not some big surprise either, it was not a good football team.  What they will do this year, sure it will not be as hard as the Pac-12 last year but will not be that easy either with Nebraska, Colorado State again then UCF, Kansas State, Arizona, Texas Tech, Utah, Kansas and Oklahoma State.  

43 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I had him as QB4 in this draft behind Williams, Maye and Daniels. I am pretty happy knowing MIN got McCarthy rather than Sanders TBH, as KOC would have been able to be a bigger pain in the *** with Sanders running his offense IMO.

I disagree, O'Connell wants a QB to be able to play under center and make throws in the pocket.  McCarthy absolutely can play under center and run the play action game, can he make consistent throws inside the pocket without scrambling, time will tell.  But he has way more experience in a traditional pro style offense where Sanders does not really I would say.

Sanders if I recall correctly is almost always in the shot gun and has been his entire college career.  Honestly with Penix being in the shotgun what 80%+ of the time at Washington, that was a big negative I feel if Minnesota was able to draft him because they want a guy under center.  Sanders plays in a total spread at Jackson State and now at Colorado and that is not the Minnesota Vikings who play two TEs a lot and want to run play action under center.  So I do not believe Shedeur would have been a good fit in Minnesota or would have been targeted by them.

Would he have been a 1st rounder if he declared?  Maybe but honestly no freaking way I would have taken him over Nix or Penix, McCarthy maybe but even that McCarthy does have a higher ceiling than Shedeur I feel because of how limited his passing was in college.  Where Shedeur is supported a lot with his head coach being his dad, he has greatly improved as a player but having that brash of a father who is a Hall of Famer, yeah that usually does not work out well at QB in the NFL for the son. Shedeur is no question a more developed passer right now than McCarthy but McCarthy has a better mindset for the position going forward with more untapped potential and has won big time where Shedeur yeah that team sucked last year no question about it.  

Either way any young QB in that situation in Minnesota could benefit from it with the coaching support, ownership, facilities etc.  If a QB could he declared and instead is in this 2025 class to go to Minnesota it would be Carson Beck.  Far more experienced in running a more pro style system that is run centered and used to the play action game and can complete passes in the pocket.  That is an argument who would be better for Minnesota to develop into a QB, McCarthy or Carson Beck.  Beck is the more proven passer and accomplished one right now but McCarthy might be the better leader, teammate and have the more proper mindset going forward for improvement.  Also one could argue McCarthy is the better athlete when compared to Beck or Sanders.  

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I had him behind Nix when I stopped bothering to update his spot in the rankings because it was obvious he wasn't coming out.

This is a pretty funny thread with him having one year experience in the Power 5.  Yall are talking about him as if he's a finished product starting his fifth year.  He's not projected in some spots to be the top overall pick because of where he is now, it's where he's expected to be next year.  Everyone's assuming a big jump in his abilities, which isn't guaranteed, but isn't unreasonable either.  Let's not pretend Jayden Daniels looked like anything more than a mid-rounder in 2022 before he blew up this year.

Is he someone you want to put a franchise behind as he is now?  Of course not.  But to act like there's no chance he's a better player or a fantastic prospect by next year is just ridiculous.

It's not like the competition to be the top QB in next year's class is that stiff.  It's Carson Beck and a bunch of raw guys.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I disagree, O'Connell wants a QB to be able to play under center and make throws in the pocket.  McCarthy absolutely can play under center and run the play action game, can he make consistent throws inside the pocket without scrambling, time will tell.  But he has way more experience in a traditional pro style offense where Sanders does not really I would say.

Sanders if I recall correctly is almost always in the shot gun and has been his entire college career.  Honestly with Penix being in the shotgun what 80%+ of the time at Washington, that was a big negative I feel if Minnesota was able to draft him because they want a guy under center.  Sanders plays in a total spread at Jackson State and now at Colorado and that is not the Minnesota Vikings who play two TEs a lot and want to run play action under center.  So I do not believe Shedeur would have been a good fit in Minnesota or would have been targeted by them.

As far as being under center basically all reports were that MIN was gunning for Maye, and he was in shotgun constantly. So clearly KOC isn't concerned that he couldn't coach a QB how to play under center. McCarthy was the back up plan, not the top choice. I think KOC would also be able to greatly improve Sanders' footwork and better teach him to take care of the ball.

As for throwing from the pocket, would JJ have been able to do that behind that borderline D2 OL? If he and Sanders were switched I have no doubt the sacks would have dropped dramatically and the concerns of pocket passing and system fit would be squashed, but likely flipped on JJ.

Regardless I'm not high on Sanders or McCarthy to be honest. I just think Sanders has the higher ceiling and have a lot of respect for KOC as a playcaller/offensive mind.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I had him behind Nix when I stopped bothering to update his spot in the rankings because it was obvious he wasn't coming out.

This is a pretty funny thread with him having one year experience in the Power 5.  Yall are talking about him as if he's a finished product starting his fifth year.  He's not projected in some spots to be the top overall pick because of where he is now, it's where he's expected to be next year.  Everyone's assuming a big jump in his abilities, which isn't guaranteed, but isn't unreasonable either.  Let's not pretend Jayden Daniels looked like anything more than a mid-rounder in 2022 before he blew up this year.

Is he someone you want to put a franchise behind as he is now?  Of course not.  But to act like there's no chance he's a better player or a fantastic prospect by next year is just ridiculous.

It's not like the competition to be the top QB in next year's class is that stiff.  It's Carson Beck and a bunch of raw guys.

Nix is thoroughly unimpressive to me. Never did like him as a prospect.

Idk if that was aimed at me, but Sanders is far from a finished prospect, I think top picks are based more on potential and how well further development can improve them than being highly developed already. NFL coaches will want traits to fit their systems and so on but I think any NFL coach worth a damn needs to have the belief they can better develop the kid more than the college coaches. And I think KOC could fix some of his biggest issues. He's why I think McCarthy can become a decent annoyance in the NFCN.

I don't even think he is talked about as a remarkable talent or anything after the hype fell off as CO came back down to earth last year, but he is looked at as a top prospect in 2025 next year in large part because the QB class kind of sucks (barring someone making the Burrow jump out of nowhere). You even alluded to how the class isn't that promising, its a lot of raw unproven guys. If Sanders' OL isn't trash next season and he still has the fumbling issues or takes way too many sacks then he should keep getting knocked down for it.

I just think (before it was clear Sanders was returning) it was Williams and Maye, a big *** gap then Daniels, then a decent gap and Sanders as prospects. Next year Sanders might not have the excuses and drop. Or he cleans up some of his issues and jumps. Idk.