Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

On 6/10/2024 at 10:57 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

I didn't review the whole thread to see if Chad Johnson was mentioned but he definitely belongs here.

chad-ochocinco-hof-jacket.jpg

If we are putting a Bengals WR here, I think the correct answer is AJ Green.  He was a monster for 5-6 years, even tho handcuffed by Andy Dalton.  But the first time he got really hurt, the wheels just fell off immediately.  Chad had more staying power.

• Like 2

Has Cam Newton been mentioned?  Started off on fire as OROY, passing yardage pace and the rushing TDs/yards.  Wins an MVP and goes to the Superbowl at 26, then the not diving on the fumble storyline happens and the guy was scraping for jobs by 30 and out of the league at 32.  

25 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Has Cam Newton been mentioned?  Started off on fire as OROY, passing yardage pace and the rushing TDs/yards.  Wins an MVP and goes to the Superbowl at 26, then the not diving on the fumble storyline happens and the guy was scraping for jobs by 30 and out of the league at 32.  

You yadda-yadda'd quite a bit there.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Apparition said:

You yadda-yadda'd quite a bit there.

Lmao, for sure.  I was just trying to talk about the HoF start, point of inflection, and where the significant drop off ended up.  The career was on a tremendous pace and at a great peak prior to that moment, and never recovered momentum after.  I wasn't meaning to imply it was the cause, just a point in time that encapsulates the shift.  Absolute yadda-yadda though. 

Edited by OkeyDoke21

On 6/10/2024 at 10:57 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

I didn't review the whole thread to see if Chad Johnson was mentioned but he definitely belongs here.

chad-ochocinco-hof-jacket.jpg

Meh, I wouldn’t really say Chad fell off, he just aged a couple years earlier than some other guys. He had one of his most productive seasons at age 29/30, IIRC.

Mike Quick in his 2nd through 6th seasons had per-game averages on par with or better than guys like T.O. and Julio Jones during the same periods in their careers, while playing in a much less pass-friendly league. Then he broke his leg in 1988 and was never the same after that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soko said:

Meh, I wouldn’t really say Chad fell off, he just aged a couple years earlier than some other guys. He had one of his most productive seasons at age 29/30, IIRC.

That's fair.  I didn't know how to view him, but I can remember thinking he was right at the time he put on that jacket and now think there is no chance.  He probably qualifies, to a certain degree for this, but wasn't the bottle rocket type guy a lot of these names are.  

On 6/9/2024 at 9:15 PM, Nabbs4u said:

No just makes him underrated. Not the hyped, highly pimped out players the NFL and Sports media outlets use to make money.

Hence why I said...

Or was he just not the flashy celebrated Sports Center highlighted WR's from those years like 

16' OBJ, AB, Fitz players with less yds/TD  that season then Evans?

18' Ran into Tyreek, DHop and Julio having career seasons?

I mean Evans had 50 more yards than AB while playing an entire additional game. Julio Jones made Matt Ryan the MVP. Mike Evans was rightfully AP2.

IIRC it was you who felt Ben Roethlisberger shouldn't be a HOFer. Evans has a WR equivalent resume to Ben in that he was never in the elite tier, just below (and for so long). If you don't think Ben is a HOFer, than how can you think Evans is. If it wasn't you who felt that way, then sorry for the confusion.

25 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I mean Evans had 50 more yards than AB while playing an entire additional game. Julio Jones made Matt Ryan the MVP. Mike Evans was rightfully AP2.

IIRC it was you who felt Ben Roethlisberger shouldn't be a HOFer. Evans has a WR equivalent resume to Ben in that he was never in the elite tier, just below (and for so long). If you don't think Ben is a HOFer, than how can you think Evans is. If it wasn't you who felt that way, then sorry for the confusion.

Think you're getting me confused with another? Now if you had said,  Eli Manning? I'd be in agreement. 

• Like 1