Eagles sign WR John Ross

RaidersAreOne

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Danger said:

We have a plethora of guys who can excel at the new kickoff. It's more so just to get a guy who can stretch the defense every now and then even if he's just a decoy.

We don't have a real clear #3 guy, but behind AJ and Smitty we have various role guys: Parris Campbell (starting slot), John Ross (burner), Johnny Wilson (Big dude), Ainias Smith (YAC Slot)

The burner/big dude player/role at WR3 "feels" like the type of thing that works in the first few weeks of the season until opposing defensive analysts document the tendencies, the defensive play-caller adjusts, and then their is no offensive counter adjustment available because John Ross can't be big and Johnny Wilson can't be a burner.

To be fair, there isn't an NFL team with a complete player at WR3, though, so you do what you have to do.

Edited by sinceAtikevike

Makes sense. Ross was clearly just in a bad situation last year with one of the best WR cores in the NFL and a mediocre QB throwing him the ball. Would’ve been tough for him to make the Chiefs roster. Surely this will be the year he breaks out with only guys like to AJ Brown and Devonta Smith to compete with for targets.

/s 

• Like 1

I like how people are acting like anybody thinks this is a notable signing. I'm sure he got the vet minimum with no guarantees. He's a training camp body that has pedigree. People are reading way too much into this. He's fast and maybe has something to offer on special teams. He got signed at the end of May not the beginning of March and he's not getting paid anything really. It's really not that noteworthy. If you are really spending time trying to rack your brain for why they would sign a guy to fill out their 90 man roster, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of weird reactions to this signing in this thread. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

The burner/big dude player/role at WR3 "feels" like the type of thing that works in the first few weeks of the season until opposing defensive analysts document the tendencies, the defensive play-caller adjusts, and then their is no offensive counter adjustment available because John Ross can't be big and Johnny Wilson can't be a burner.

To be fair, there isn't an NFL team with a complete player at WR3, though, so you do what you have to do.

Keenan Allen would like a word.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

DeVante Parker and Eagles fans didn't even know he was on the team. 

John Ross unretires to play for the Eagles, and the fans will also forget he's on the team.

It's brilliant, really.

So playing the Quez Watkins role, Gotcha! 🍺

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:16 PM, Xmad said:

Keenan Allen would like a word.

Technically the argument could be made that Keenan Allen isn't a complete receiver. Same reason I didn't mention Tyler Boyd for the Titans. Neither of them can consistently win deep. Even though KA is elite in the short to mid range.

Also, just realized that the Bears and Titans have arguably the best three man WR corps in the league? Times have changed.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Technically the argument could be made that Keenan Allen isn't a complete receiver. Same reason I didn't mention Tyler Boyd for the Titans. Neither of them can consistently win deep. Even though KA is elite in the short to mid range.

Also, just realized that the Bears and Titans have arguably the best three man WR corps in the league? Times have changed.

I'm sorry but how in the world is Keenan Allen one of "IF NOT" the best route runners in the NFL, not Elite?

Becuase he is working out of the Slot?

What did Arizona do towards the end of Fitz's career?

What does Dallas do with Cee Dee Lanb?

Create mismatches! Allen had no problem catching deep balls as a younger WR. You want to knock him as a 32 yr old, by all means but he's still Elite. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm sorry but how in the world is Keenan Allen one of "IF NOT" the best route runners in the NFL, not Elite?

Becuase he is working out of the Slot?

What did Arizona do towards the end of Fitz's career?

What does Dallas do with Cee Dee Lanb?

Create mismatches! Allen had no problem catching deep balls as a younger WR. You want to knock him as a 32 yr old, by all means but he's still Elite. 

Think you misread me.

8 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Neither of them can consistently win deep. Even though KA is elite in the short to mid range.

Cheers 🍺

On 5/24/2024 at 9:40 AM, tyler735 said:

Makes sense. Ross was clearly just in a bad situation last year with one of the best WR cores in the NFL and a mediocre QB throwing him the ball. Would’ve been tough for him to make the Chiefs roster. Surely this will be the year he breaks out with only guys like to AJ Brown and Devonta Smith to compete with for targets.

/s 

I know it’s /s but the guy couldn’t even handle an Andy Reid training camp in Missouri and quit less than a week in lol 

On 5/28/2024 at 1:48 PM, HoboRocket said:

He can win contested balls deep my man.