Do you like your team name?

TecmoSuperJoe

Well, do you? Or do you think it's lame when compared to others around the NFL? Or are most of the team names lackluster? If I really think about it, 49ers is ok because of the historic reference of the name tied to the city/area. However, a miner in 1849 isn't really intimidating. Just some dude looking for gold.

Cowboys is a great team name to me, but that's because I'm born and raised in Texas and played "Cowboys and Indians" growing up.    During the 60s'-80's, every boy from Texas wanted to be a gun-slinging Cowboy they saw on TV.  It was simply a product of environment of the time. 

However, things are different now. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team called the "Portland Baristas" within the next decade the way this league is pandering..

BTW, Kudos to the Redskins for not succumbing to the PC madness a couple of years ago.  Dan Snyder might or might not be a DB, and might have ruined RG3, but he has stones. 

32 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

I started rooting for the Panthers as a five year old since I thought panthers were cool animals.

So yeah, I guess. Cooler than being a saint with some abstract logo, or some dumb bird, or a homeless person's version of a pirate.

Meow

15 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Cooler than being a saint with some abstract logo

It's not an abstract logo, it's a fleur-de-lis which is a symbol used throughout history to signify royalty. It's used in the emblems of many cities' coat of arms to symbolize power, particularly in France. It also is used to represent saints. So a symbol that is connected to saints and France is perfect for a team from New Orleans which has heavy Catholic and French roots. I don't care much for the team name "Saints" in the religious context since I'm not religious, but it fits perfectly for the city of New Orleans. The franchise was founded on All Saints Day, and that is what they were named after. So it's a name that fits perfectly for the team.

The song "When the Saints Go Marching In" has throughout many generations been a very popular song with connections to New Orleans, dating back to the early 1900s. That song is about the apocalypse. So if we're talking about how intimidating a team name is, you could think about the Saints marching in to the Superdome or whatever stadium they're playing in, and the impending doom they will bring to the other team.

38 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

However, things are different now. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team called the "Portland Baristas" within the next decade the way this league is pandering..

The Seattle Starbucks has a damn good ring to it.

The Portland Dutch Bros. I could go for a Gummy Bear Rebel.

8 minutes ago, NS922 said:

It's not an abstract logo, it's a fleur-de-lis which is a symbol used throughout history to signify royalty. It's used in the emblems of many cities' coat of arms to symbolize power, particularly in France. It also is used to represent saints. So a symbol that is connected to saints and France is perfect for a team from New Orleans which has heavy Catholic and French roots. I don't care much for the team name "Saints" in the religious context since I'm not religious, but it fits perfectly for the city of New Orleans. The franchise was founded on All Saints Day, and that is what they were named after. So it's a name that fits perfectly for the team.

The song "When the Saints Go Marching In" has throughout many generations been a very popular song with connections to New Orleans, dating back to the early 1900s. That song is about the apocalypse. So if we're talking about how intimidating a team name is, you could think about the Saints marching in to the Superdome or whatever stadium they're playing in, and the impending doom they will bring to the other team.

It was a joke.

The Packers basically named after guys who put meat in to boxes lol

The Browns,narcissistically  named after a man.

49ers...because  naming a team the Gold dlggers would have been weird.

Rams..I'm pretty  sure were  named after Fordham Rams. 

The Patriots are actually named after Irish sympathizers to  English rule..but you aren't  supposed to know  that.

Archived