Bucs Offseason Grades: Signings and Draft 2024

Free Agency

The Good: 

- Resigning WR Mike Evans 

- Attacking depth on the OL and Secondary while bringing back an old stud: Whitehead was a key component to our secondary for 4 years and we sadly screwed up and let him walk. Excellent move to get him back to tampa. Within that included a slew of signings - adding both Bryce Hall and Tavierre Thomas to the secondary to improve depth. in the OL - adding Sua and Bedeson help with depth inside. 

- Trading Carlton Davis for a day 2 pick: Yep -about time. I thought for a while now Davis was a poor fit for Bowles defense considering he lacked the athleticism. 

- Letting go of Devin White and keeping Lavonte david. 

The Bad: 

- keeping RB Chase Edmonds: Come on - there are a lot better Backs on the market for the same price. 

- Failing to find a suitable #2 TE. Otton is solid but the Bucss didn't even come close to obtaining a back up #2 TE. 

To Be Determined: Not terrible but not great: 

- Giving Baker Mayfield 3 year 50+MM Guaranteed can either look like a genius move or terrible if its' a one year wonder. Mayfield at times really frustrated me not looking through progressions and failing to anticipate routes when they were open. And again - at times looked fantastic especially when improvising. Given the situation we were in : we had no opportunity to upgrade at the draft spot nor the luxury of assets to move up. So Licht was kind of in a pickle there. Hopefully it pays off. 

- Not trading Chris Godwin: Yeah I said it. Since the knee surgery - he's not played like a 22MM a year receiver. Not finding the endzone and being a pretty good #2 but leaves a lot to be desired given the $ he's compensated. If it were me - Buffalo was desperate and may have unloaded a late 2. So was Pittsburgh who could have forked over 1 3 and a day 3 pick next year - (which would be more the projected * compensatory pick). However the good about keeping him one more year - you don't have to risk relying on two rookies to step up or Trey Palmer to take that Godwin like growth. Godwin moves into the slot again under Coehn. 

The Draft: 

1st Round: C/G Graham Barton : Will most likely play Center but leaving the opening he can play Guard if Hainsey performs well. I thought graham is a mauler and apparently the Bucs saw he brought Jensen level leadership which I dont think they saw in the Oregon kid. Grade: A+ 

2nd Round: Chris Braswell Edge: This is just exceptional value here. Projected round 2 - some early to mid. Getting him hear towards the latter half of round 2 equals an A grade. Braswell still has some growth considering he was sitting behind a few great pass rushers for a couple years at Alabama and shined once he stepped in to a starters role. Grade A

3rd Round: NB/S Tykee Smith : Another swiss army knife type player for Bowles who can play nickel and Safety when Whitehead is gone. excellent tackler and ballhawk. The bucs secondary continues to get better.  Grade: A

3Rd Round: WR Jalen McMillen: Smooth route runner with great speed and hands. Love this pick as he was definitely better than a late 3. Grade: A

4th Round: RB Bucky Irving: I don't hate the pick - but I was more of a fan of Ray Davis. I was also not a fan of why Ray Davis was not as attractive to the Bucs when Pewter Report stated the staff didn't seem to grade a lot of players highly who transferred from their original schools despite Davis getting noticed at Kentucky. Bowles continues to pick smaller backs and while Irving is indeed physical - he's not fast for his size of 5'8 185-190 lbs. Rumor has it he dropped to 177 to run a faster 40 - but he won't be playing at that weight. Grade: C

Round 6: G Elijiah Klein: There's some reports that this kid is just physically a beast inside. And might be a starter down the road. At this rate in the draft - its good we continue to add depth inside and may compete for that LG spot or RG if Mauch moves to the left side. Grade: B-

Round 7: TE Devin Culp: Very athletic TE and pass catcher. But very undersized for the position in the NFL. Will he maintain the speed? At round 7 - who knows if he was really a draftable prospect to other remaining teams. Grade: C

Overall - I think the Bucs attacked a lot of areas in the draft that were needed. Starting Center, depth at Edge Rush, secondary, and WR. Should be some core strengths. I am glad that they are letting the ILB role play out. Britt showed he deserved to start last year and Dennis showed a ton of promise in camp and practices where you have to see what he can do in a competition. 

I do think the Bucs will keep an eye on the LG spot. Dalton Risner didn't sign til late last year. I think he could be holding out for a team like Tampa who can fill that spot on the line if the Competition there is not as expected. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs make a small move at RB. I'd keep an eye on Israel Abanikanda from the Jets on my wishlist - who was a sleeper last year and a bigger back with good vision. 

• Like 2

I think overall that's a pretty fair assessment. I'll just add a few of my thoughts to it.

Godwin should thrive in the slot role here under Coen, but that just proves his value in my opinion. He's not worth the big money 22M. Gotta be able to produce as a WR, outside or slot if you commanding that much money. I love CG, think he will have a good year but he's been overrated by fans. 

I'm glad Bowles finally decided to give up on D White. Like what I've seen from Britt in limited action and look forward of how we develop Dennis moving forward. Next year I don't see Jamel Dean coming back either. As for reasons listed about Davis, he just doesn't fit Bowles zone heavy scheme. Good man press corner but we don't run that coverage as much as we should. Guy makes a lot of money, doesn't provide make any interceptions and often hurt. Bucs will IMO move on and draft another CB to develop. I swear our corners have the worst hands in the NFL.

As far TE situation goes - I think Bucs made the right move standing firm. I don't think Otton is a starting TE in the league but with so many other needs in a not-so-good TE draft class we had no choice but to run it back. Plus in Coen scheme we're going to be using 3 WR sets so we need to rely on his run blocking or lack there of when Otton is on the field. The new scheme alone will phase out the need to have a good caliber TE.

Excited for the rookie draft class, think we got 3-4 impact players. 

Only thing I'm bummed about is the LG spot. Risner re-signed with the Vikings on Friday, so we're back to the drawing board on that. I do like Sua right now as the best man but his pass protection skills are bad. Don't need 5 A grade starters, 2-3 should be enough to have a good run game and decent pass pro.

• Like 2

I'll weigh in as well:

-The Mike Evans deal looks like an absolute steal already. Incredible we were able to bring him back on those terms when you see what is being handed out this offseason on other WR deals.

-Love that we've been focusing on adding depth the last (2) off-seasons in FA. They did it last year with DL and we saw it this year with CB and OL. 

- Theoretically I see the arguement for trading Godwin, as he's going into the tail end of his 'prime' years and current deal and wanting to get value back. However, in reality there was no way we could've/should've dealt him. If they were going to trade Godwin, that to me signals a rebuild and it would've made no sense to bring back Baker and Evans, but move on from Godwin. This team (right or wrong) believes it's still in a win now window and all (3) of these guys are keys. Plus, I don't see a scenario where a team was going to take on his cap hit and give you anything close to his value in trade compesnation. Buffalo sure wasn't going to, as they were trying to get out from under Digg's deal and with Allen's second contract, they're now in that role where they have to slash veteran deals and draft/develop guys on cheap rookie deals to supplement. It's why we saw them go for WR in draft vs. FA. 

-Agree on Chase Edmonds. Not sure what value he provides and wouldn't shock me to see him not make the roster if Irving and Tucker step-up.

- I don't mind the Baker deal one bit. Honestly, I think it fell right in-line (mayb even a little less) with what I expected on a bridge deal. Even if he flops this year, we can move on with limited cap damage that doesn't handcuff us by any means. 

-Agree wih thoughts on Jamel Dean and CD3. It's time to move on. Was never a fan of either getting their 2nd deals with us, but I understood them. Like others said, Dean's injury history and lack of playmaking ability hamper his value. Hoping McCollum takes another big step forward this season, or we could be hitting reset at outside CB spots all together next year.

-I think they're expecting more from Payne Durham this season as the #2 TE. 

-Loved the draft as a whole. Barton was a homerun pick, I see the value in Braswell, but they have to show me they can develop an impact EDGE because we've failed miserably thus far. Tykee Smith fits the DB mold perfectly we look for, McMillan has a chance to step in an be an impact WR from day one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 9:46 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

I'll weigh in as well:

-The Mike Evans deal looks like an absolute steal already. Incredible we were able to bring him back on those terms when you see what is being handed out this offseason on other WR deals.

-Love that we've been focusing on adding depth the last (2) off-seasons in FA. They did it last year with DL and we saw it this year with CB and OL. 

- Theoretically I see the arguement for trading Godwin, as he's going into the tail end of his 'prime' years and current deal and wanting to get value back. However, in reality there was no way we could've/should've dealt him. If they were going to trade Godwin, that to me signals a rebuild and it would've made no sense to bring back Baker and Evans, but move on from Godwin. This team (right or wrong) believes it's still in a win now window and all (3) of these guys are keys. Plus, I don't see a scenario where a team was going to take on his cap hit and give you anything close to his value in trade compesnation. Buffalo sure wasn't going to, as they were trying to get out from under Digg's deal and with Allen's second contract, they're now in that role where they have to slash veteran deals and draft/develop guys on cheap rookie deals to supplement. It's why we saw them go for WR in draft vs. FA. 

-Agree on Chase Edmonds. Not sure what value he provides and wouldn't shock me to see him not make the roster if Irving and Tucker step-up.

- I don't mind the Baker deal one bit. Honestly, I think it fell right in-line (mayb even a little less) with what I expected on a bridge deal. Even if he flops this year, we can move on with limited cap damage that doesn't handcuff us by any means. 

-Agree wih thoughts on Jamel Dean and CD3. It's time to move on. Was never a fan of either getting their 2nd deals with us, but I understood them. Like others said, Dean's injury history and lack of playmaking ability hamper his value. Hoping McCollum takes another big step forward this season, or we could be hitting reset at outside CB spots all together next year.

-I think they're expecting more from Payne Durham this season as the #2 TE. 

-Loved the draft as a whole. Barton was a homerun pick, I see the value in Braswell, but they have to show me they can develop an impact EDGE because we've failed miserably thus far. Tykee Smith fits the DB mold perfectly we look for, McMillan has a chance to step in an be an impact WR from day one. 

After seeing that Lawerence deal - I love the Baker signing more and more and more lol. Not going to lie, what the Jags did was completely idiotic when I feel Baker and Lawerance right now are in the same tier of QB rankings. 

3 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

After seeing that Lawerence deal - I love the Baker signing more and more and more lol. Not going to lie, what the Jags did was completely idiotic when I feel Baker and Lawerance right now are in the same tier of QB rankings. 

100%. Every contract you see handed out only makes the Mayfield deal look better and better. 

Jags were in a loose/loose situation IMO and we see more an more of these happening when you invest in a QB that high and they don't live up to the hype, but are still good enough you can't let them walk. Essentially holds you ransom. 

On 6/18/2024 at 12:05 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

100%. Every contract you see handed out only makes the Mayfield deal look better and better. 

Jags were in a loose/loose situation IMO and we see more an more of these happening when you invest in a QB that high and they don't live up to the hype, but are still good enough you can't let them walk. Essentially holds you ransom. 

Call me crazy but I would rather tank a season than overpay. Try my luck with someone else even if that means losing 10-12 games. Being tied to a massive deal is like that for a tier 3 QB is nuts. Like the Packers should do - they should really let Love ball out this year then want to pay him 57MM per bc hey - he took them deep into the playoffs. The ravens were happy to pay joe flacco in a contract year after winning a SB. 

14 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Call me crazy but I would rather tank a season than overpay. Try my luck with someone else even if that means losing 10-12 games. Being tied to a massive deal is like that for a tier 3 QB is nuts. Like the Packers should do - they should really let Love ball out this year then want to pay him 57MM per bc hey - he took them deep into the playoffs. The ravens were happy to pay joe flacco in a contract year after winning a SB. 

I mean, it sounds great in theory, but vven if you tank though, there is no gaurantee you're getting a QB, let alone the caliber of a true franchise type QB. You could end up right back in the same scenario in 3 years. 

• Like 1

Agree with the not trading Godwin take. He’s still pretty good but imo not quite what he used to be. I could see Jalen McMillian better than Godwin right off the bat, but we’ll never know if they give Evans and Godwin all the targets. I’m a huge McMillian fan. Dude is NOT a 3rd Round WR. Athletic profile is a complete clone of Justin Jefferson, and plays like him too. His tape is REALLY good! 

• Like 2