Which career would you rather have? Dan Marino or Eli Manning?

Which career would you rather have?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which career are you taking?

• Dan Marino
    • Eli Manning

Posted (edited)

Saw a poll on social media and Eli Manning is winning it 78 percent to 22 percent. So figured I would bring it here and see. Honestly I don't see Eli winning the poll here, but I guess I could be surprised...

I suppose if the question was which QB was better maybe the poll wouldn't have been so lopsided in favor of Eli Manning. 

Honestly I think the OG social media poll started due to some talk of a certain QB rather having the career of Eli Manning vs Aaron Rodgers. Though the dude decided to go with Dan Marino for the poll. 

Oh just to let you know I would personally rather have the career of Marino. 

Edited by NeptunePenguins

Posted (edited)

This has got to be recency and Superbowl bias. Marino is top 10 all time. Eli is probably outside of the top 25.

I guess I might want a little clarification... Are you asking which guy's career I'd rather have for my team or which guy's career I'd rather have if I were an NFL QB? My answer would differ depending on what the question actually is. No Superbowls for Marino and 51 Million career earnings but easily top 10 all time.  Eli Manning with 2 Superbowls and 250 million career earnings and maybe top 25-30.

If I'm the player I'd rather have Eli's career based on Superbowls and earnings. If I'm putting the player in my team's HOF I'd rather have Marino. If Superbowls and earnings don't matter I'd rather be Marino.

Edited by nagahide13

Posted (edited)

I remember when the question used to be "would you rather be Marino or Dilfer/Brad Johnson?".  And I'd go with Marino every time because those guys, even though they won a Super Bowl, weren't respected and have no shot at the HOF.  I'd take having the legacy of Marino over that. 

But I have to go Eli here.  Nevermind the fact he could (and my guess is he probably will) make the Hall of Fame.  He didn't win just one but 2 Super Bowls, one of which came over a team that was 18-0 going in.  Involved in 2 memorable plays from those games (escaping the sack and throwing to Tyree, and the throw to Manningham).  The best QB in Giants franchise history.  

I'd take Rodgers' career over both though.  You get the best of both worlds.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

Marino’s the better QB, but if you’re asking what career I’d rather have myself, or I’d rather have for my team, I’m taking Eli and his two rings. As someone else said.. if it’s Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, I’ll take Marino, despite the ring factor. But Eli was respected and a good QB, and you get two Super Bowl Championships.

• Like 1

I think Marino will be remembered more than Eli. I feel like even the casual fan knows who Marino is whereas Eli maybe not so much. I’m sure Eli is more recognizable with the ManningCast and what not, but I definitely think Marino left more of a legacy. 

Marino’s better (obviously) but I’d definitely go Eli. Two SB wins over the GOAT, one of the GOAT coaches, and the main dynasty of the 21st century - tough to beat. Plus, Eli probably gets a HOF jacket to boot (even though I don’t think he should).

And that’s if we’re excluding money. Career earnings included? This ain’t even close.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Soko said:

Marino’s better (obviously) but I’d definitely go Eli. Two SB wins over the GOAT, one of the GOAT coaches, and the main dynasty of the 21st century - tough to beat. Plus, Eli probably gets a HOF jacket to boot (even though I don’t think he should).

And that’s if we’re excluding money. Career earnings included? This ain’t even close.

This is what puts it over the top in Eli's favor, I think. If Eli doesn't get into the HOF, then I think this is a more interesting question. But I think he will get in and at that point I definitely think I'd rather have that career. 

20 hours ago, Forge said:

This is what puts it over the top in Eli's favor, I think. If Eli doesn't get into the HOF, then I think this is a more interesting question. But I think he will get in and at that point I definitely think I'd rather have that career. 

For me I don’t think it matters. He’ll be in the ring of honor and football is a team sport.

So his teammates will always respect him and they can always go and say they completed the mission and they did it against some of the best teams in NFL history.

Whats more in an argument with Marino, Eli can point to the two rings while Marino can just point to a single jacket. Both will be in their respective team’s ring of honor.

I look at this also like Joe Flacco vs Lamar Jackson. Flacco got the ring and was a consistently above average QB in the league while Lamar has been a top 5 QB in the league, but hasn’t won a ring, yet has two MVPs.

As it stands I’d take Flacco’s career, personally, and I’m sure Lamar would as well. Until this point at least… if Lamar gets the ring then obviously that all changes. But Flacco is lower grade Eli and Lamar is lower grade Marino.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Forge said:

I realize it’s not a one-for-one because Marino has pretty much everything else in his favor - but I wouldn’t pay $200M for a HOF jacket, lol. 

I mean, you could even strip this down even more and I’d still go with the money. I’d rather be Ryan Fitzpatrick with $250M (Eli’s earnings, no SBs, journeyman career) than be Marino with $50M, tbh.

Many would love to have the Dan Marino career but this is Eli for me

It's always fun to win a super bowl, but it's even more fun when you win an improbable super bowl and Eli and the giants did that twice! (the one of 2007 was even more unlikely).I prefer also the career of Eli over Rodgers even if Rodgers was a much better QB too

Posted (edited)

I would rather know I am one of the best that ever did it rather than just another schmo who happened to get lucky with supporting cast.

EDIT:

Would you rather be a top 10 QB all time or 3rd best QB in your immediate family?

Edited by AngusMcFife

I know some are saying they'd rather have Eli's money than Marino's, but I'd rather be a superstar in Miami in the 1980s and 90s rather than a well paid guy in NY in the 2000s. In the 2000s you have to be super careful in all your interactions and everything is monitored by media and paparazzi, while Marino could swim in pools of cocaine with beautiful naked Cuban women and nobody would care.

In fact living in Miami at that time was so much fun, it's no wonder those Dolphins never got anywhere. How could you focus on football there?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 3:54 PM, GW21 said:

I think Marino will be remembered more than Eli. I feel like even the casual fan knows who Marino is whereas Eli maybe not so much. I’m sure Eli is more recognizable with the ManningCast and what not, but I definitely think Marino left more of a legacy. 

It's the exact opposite. Think of younger NFL fans. What is there left to remember about Marino for them? All of his notable records have been broken at this point. None of them have seen Ace Ventura. Meanwhile, there's going to be a Chad Powers TV show soon.

To answer the poll, it's Eli easily. CJ Stroud chose Eli's career over Aaron Rodger's recently. "You want the rings".

EDIT: Hell, Eli has more important NFL records than Marino does at this point. Obviously, time plays a factor there. But Eli currently still has the records for most fourth quarter TD passes in a season and most passing yards in a single postseason. Marino is left with the most seasons leading the league in passing attempts, and a few relating to taking sacks at a low rate. Nothing the average fan would know or care about. The days of Marino being an all-time remembered gunslinger are long gone, partly because there is no postseason success to point to. Marino set that TD record 40 (!!) years ago. He's 5th place now. Brady, Brees, and Payton tossed him aside in the record book. It's exactly why you'll hear every athlete talk down about their records and say the ultimate goal is a championship. There's no overwriting a championship.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1