Which career would you rather have? Dan Marino or Eli Manning?

Which career would you rather have?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which career are you taking?

• Dan Marino
    • Eli Manning

Huh shocked by the poll. This forums disposition towards Eli has shifted dramatically from when he was playing. Marino was the more talented QB and an absolute stat machine considering the rules during the era he played in...but I'll take Eli's legacy all day. Eli's two SB postseason runs were nearly flawless. Marino had a tendency to save his worst play for the playoffs. Threw 24 career INT's in 18 playoff games. I wouldn't be surprised if Marino himself would admit he would have rather had Eli's career. 

19 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I would rather know I am one of the best that ever did it rather than just another schmo who happened to get lucky with supporting cast.

EDIT:

Would you rather be a top 10 QB all time or 3rd best QB in your immediate family?

Got lucky in nearly identical ways four years apart? Supporting cast? That 2011 team had the worst running game in the league and the defense was bottom third in yards and points per game. The passing game carried them the entire season and didn't relent in the playoffs. The defense only came to life the last few weeks of the season. 2011 was 80% Eli. 

• Like 1

The only thing the 2011 giants were good were their passing game on offense.The rest of the team were below average.Running game were awful all year long(last in the NFL) and it was not much better in the playoffs outside of the game vs falcons,their defense were bottom 10,they were better in the playoffs but it was not as good like their 2007 defense.The 2007 team were a complete team effort,but in 2011,Eli carried his team on his back like crazy....Remember in the playoffs game against the elite defense of the 49ers, he had 64 pass attempts, he was hit very often, he didn't have much support in his running game, but still find a way to win!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Got lucky in nearly identical ways four years apart? Supporting cast? That 2011 team had the worst running game in the league and the defense was bottom third in yards and points per game. The passing game carried them the entire season and didn't relent in the playoffs.

The passing game carried the team to a 9-7 record. LOL, that's impressive? The Giants shouldn't have even been in the playoffs with such a mediocre record but got lucky there was no team in the NFC east that had more than 8 wins.

The defense only came to life the last few weeks of the season. 2011 was 80% Eli. 

The 2011 defense played great in the playoffs, though, holding teams to 2, 20, 17, and 17 points. That's an average of 14 points per game, which would have been the no. 1 defense in the league that year.

The defense single-handed dominated the Falcons, and both the passing game and running game was good. Eli really wasn't needed here. He cost his team the shutout with his terrible safety.

Eli played well to beat the Packers, I'll give him that.

Then they barely beat the Alex Smith-led 49ers with Eli having a 82 passer rating and putting up 20 points. Not impressive.

Then they put up 21 points vs a bad Pats defense (30th in yards/play) in the Super Bowl.

So to summarize, the one season Eli defenders will point to as his greatest achievement, Eli had to rely on pure luck that no other teams in the division had more than 8 wins so his 9-win team could make the playoffs, then he had one great game out of 4 playoff games, and in the other three he barely scraped together 20 points but his defense won him those games.

He was always a slightly above-average QB and 2011 was probably his best year. He threw a lot of INTs and his Y/A was never that good.

• Like 2

Lots of posters here are content being mediocre at their job and receiving all the credit when their coworkers do great things. The Eli Manning way.

What ever happened to striving to be the best? Challenge yourself to truly excel at what you do, and don't worry about externalities that are out of your control. Maybe your teammates will win you Super Bowls, or let you down, but don't let that affect your own pursuit of greatness. 

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The passing game carried the team to a 9-7 record. LOL, that's impressive? The Giants shouldn't have even been in the playoffs with such a mediocre record but got lucky there was no team in the NFC east that had more than 8 wins.

With the 31st ranked running game and bottom third D... yea it was impressive.

An 82 rating against that monster D that sacked him 6 times plus 13 QB hits... yet he kept getting up and dusting himself off and slinging it. Was pretty damn impressive in my book. 

The poll highly disagrees with you. You have Steeler fans arguing against you.... maybe you should reconsider what you deem impressive?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It's the exact opposite. Think of younger NFL fans. What is there left to remember about Marino for them? All of his notable records have been broken at this point. None of them have seen Ace Ventura. Meanwhile, there's going to be a Chad Powers TV show soon.

To answer the poll, it's Eli easily. CJ Stroud chose Eli's career over Aaron Rodger's recently. "You want the rings".

EDIT: Hell, Eli has more important NFL records than Marino does at this point. Obviously, time plays a factor there. But Eli currently still has the records for most fourth quarter TD passes in a season and most passing yards in a single postseason. Marino is left with the most seasons leading the league in passing attempts, and a few relating to taking sacks at a low rate. Nothing the average fan would know or care about. The days of Marino being an all-time remembered gunslinger are long gone, partly because there is no postseason success to point to. Marino set that TD record 40 (!!) years ago. He's 5th place now. Brady, Brees, and Payton tossed him aside in the record book. It's exactly why you'll hear every athlete talk down about their records and say the ultimate goal is a championship. There's no overwriting a championship.

Honestly, this is a terrible argument.

Marino is recognized as one of the greatest QB of all time (in the 5-15 range), and Eli was considered a the 10-15th best QB against his peers. 

The idea that people look at cumulative passing stats and think they have any validity is just silly. Everyone can see that Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, and Kerry Collins have stats that surpass some all time greats, but nobody thinks they are legendary because we saw them play.

Eli's legacy will aways be dragged down because people saw him play, he was mostly above average but threw a lot of picks and didn't have any defining traits that made him special, or even that interesting as a player.

10 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

With the 31st ranked running game and bottom third D... yea it was impressive.

An 82 rating against that monster D that sacked him 6 times plus 13 QB hits... yet he kept getting up and dusting himself off and slinging it. Was pretty damn impressive in my book. 

The poll highly disagrees with you. You have Steeler fans arguing against you.... maybe you should reconsider what you deem impressive?

Ok, but listen, I lived in NY for pretty much Eli's entire career, I saw him plenty. I'm not arguing he didn't have great moments, but he just wasn't that good. It was well established and everyone recognized it. Everyone likes Eli as a person, you can't knock him there. But as a player he was just mildly above average, he really didn't have a single elite trait and he was very turnover prone. 

I'm a Ravens fan and will criticize Flacco and his great playoff record for the same reason. But in Flacco's case, at least he can claim that he truly carried his team to a Super Bowl. He was lights out in 4 straight games. Eli was more along for the ride, and of course I'll credit him for making some clutch throws.

7 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ok, but listen, I lived in NY for pretty much Eli's entire career, I saw him plenty. I'm not arguing he didn't have great moments, but he just wasn't that good. It was well established and everyone recognized it. Everyone likes Eli as a person, you can't knock him there. But as a player he was just mildly above average, he really didn't have a single elite trait and he was very turnover prone. 

I'm a Ravens fan and will criticize Flacco and his great playoff record for the same reason. But in Flacco's case, at least he can claim that he truly carried his team to a Super Bowl. He was lights out in 4 straight games. Eli was more along for the ride, and of course I'll credit him for making some clutch throws.

His 2007 and 2011 playoff runs were nearly flawless and one still stands as the postseason yardage record. He absolutely was not along for the ride on the way to those two rings. 

Overall as a QB he was inferior in talent to Marino. Don't think anyone who voted for Eli would even say otherwise (Eli wouldn't say otherwise). He spent much of career average to slightly above average. But what he accomplished in those two postseasons was more impressive then anything Marino ever did in his career. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Maybe in 2007 but not in 2011....He was great start to finish that year including the regular season

12 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

His 2007 and 2011 playoff runs were nearly flawless and one still stands as the postseason yardage record. He absolutely was not along for the ride on the way to those two rings. 

Overall as a QB he was inferior in talent to Marino. Don't think anyone who voted for Eli would even say otherwise (Eli wouldn't say otherwise). He spent much of career average to slightly above average. But what he accomplished in those two postseasons was more impressive then anything Marino ever did in his career. 

Agree to disagree. Marino's 1984 season is arguably the greatest QB season of all time, one of the greatest achievements in the modern era, and began the transition of the game of pro football to a running-based attack to a passing-based attack. It took the league 20 years for anyone to come close to matching what Marino did (when P. Manning lit the league on fire in 2004). 

Who would I rather have under center, Marino, hands down no question. Whose career, Manning, made more money and got to enjoy the ultimate success twice, against the Patriots no less, which as a Dolphins fan is appealing as well. 

"Hall of Fame," "All-Time great," is a different thing than "really good player with a couple of rings that he didn't specially deliver on his back."

Dan Marino, along with a couple others, was a pillar of a new style that blew up the league and led directly to what we have today. Eli was fine.

• Like 1