Which career would you rather have? Dan Marino or Eli Manning?

Which career would you rather have?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which career are you taking?

• Dan Marino
    • Eli Manning

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

An INT is the worst play an offense can make, and a sack-fumble is the second worst.

Eli is 4th all-time in INTs + Fumbles, in the era where QB INT% was the lowest in NFL history.

He's also top 10 in career yards and TDs. I'd have him somewhere in the low 30's but can easily see arguments for anything between 25-40 all time.

Eli Manning did not win two rings. The New York Giants won two rings. I don't understand why people conflate team accomplishments with individual accomplishments. Marino literally changed the game, you can't say the same about Eli.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Soggust said:

Totally agree but if you paid me 200m to pick Eli, I would lol 

Eh, fair.

21 hours ago, Forge said:

What if Eli gets the gold jacket?

I think gold jacket + 2 super bowls definitely makes up the gap of just not being a top 10ish QB ever. 

Eli is borderline top 25-30 and would get the gold jacket off of his 2 rings. Obviously, without them he comes nowhere near Marino.

21 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

You think Eli is borderline top 30 all time?

Just spitballing. Off the top of my head (in no particular order)

1. Brady
  2. P Manning
  3. Mahomes
  4. Montana
  5. Rodgers
  6. Unitas
  7. Favre
  8. Brees
  9. Tarkenton
  10. Bradshaw
  11. Staubach
  12. Kelly
  13. Elway
  14. Graham
  15. Jurgensen
  16. Tittle
  17. Luckman
  18. Fouts
  19. Rivers
  20. Big ben
  21. Young
  22. Dawson
  23. Wilson
  24. Warner
  25. Stabler
  26. Starr
  27. Van Brocklin
  28. Lamar Jackson
  29. Stafford
  30. Ken Anderson
  31. Moon
  32. Griese
  33. Aikman
  34. Cunningham
  35. Matt Ryan

You can argue he's better/greater than 10ish, maybe 15 of those guys.

22 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Is the point of the game to accumulate stats or win rings?

Of course it's to win rings. When a guy does everything he can to help his team win, and is consistently failed by his running game, coaching, and defense, I find it very hard to hold it against them. Eli's playoff defenses for those 2 runs played absolutely out of their minds. In 2007 they had a 16.25 PPG, in 2011 they had a 14 PPG, and combined they had a 15.125 PPG.

Out of all 25 teams to allow 16.25 PPG or fewer in the playoffs while playing more than 1 game in the playoffs since 2000, 10 of them won the Super Bowl; a 40% winning %. Out of the 127 teams to allow more than 16.25 PPG in the playoffs while playing more than one game in the playoffs, 14 of them won the Super Bowl; an 11% winning %. 

Out of all 10 teams to allow 14 PPG or fewer in the playoffs while playing more than one playoffs since 2000, 4 of them won the Super Bowl; a 40% winning %. Out of all 142 teams to allow more than 14 PPG in the playoffs wile playing more than 1 game in the playoffs since 2000, 14 of them won the Super Bowl; a 9.8% winning %. 

Eli's 2011 playoff defense allowed the t-4th fewest points ever out of all 20 4 game playoff runs in NFL history. his 2007 Playoff defense is tied for 8th.

Marino's playoff defense only allowed as few as 17 points 7 times out of 18; in which he had a 6-1 record. Conversely, his defense allowed 30 or more points 6 times, which increases to 9 if we decrease the amount to 27.  Eli's playoff defense in his SB runs allowed 17 or less points on 6 out of 8 occasions.

In addition, Eli has 0 playoff victories when his opponent scores = >21 points, which is less than noted LOSERS Marino (2), Philip Rivers (1), Jim Kelly (3), Aaron Rodgers (5), Colts Peyton (3), Matt Ryan (2).

Here are some things Eli Manning is not, or does not have:

• All-time clutch/playoff performer
  • A win over a playoff team who scored more than 20 points
  • A career more desirable than Dan Marino

Here are some things Eli Manning is, or does have:

• A solid, at times very good QB
  • 2 of the most memorable/best throws in playoff, let alone Super Bowl history
  • The benefactor of some of the greatest playoff defenses ever
  • A career and story that will put him in the HOF, deservingly so

I don't hate Eli, but we need to call a spade a spade. If his 2 playoff runs were like 2012 Joe Flacco, then yes, you absolutely have a case for him to have a more desirable career than Marino; heck at that point he might have an argument for for top 10 QB ever. But in reality, 2007 and 2011 were closer to Jim Plunkett/Brad Johnson, albeit with 2 huge plays that turned the tides of both games. Regardless, the help he got from his defense plus some Patriots drop luck (Asante Samuel and Wes Welker) lined up for a storybook ending to both seasons that 9 times out of 10 do not happen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Eh, fair.

Eli is borderline top 25-30 and would get the gold jacket off of his 2 rings. Obviously, without them he comes nowhere near Marino.

1. Brady
  2. P Manning
  3. Mahomes
  4. Montana
  5. Rodgers
  6. Unitas
  7. Favre
  8. Brees
  9. Tarkenton
  10. Bradshaw
  11. Staubach
  12. Kelly
  13. Elway
  14. Graham
  15. Jurgensen
  16. Tittle
  17. Luckman
  18. Fouts
  19. Rivers
  20. Big ben
  21. Young
  22. Dawson
  23. Wilson
  24. Warner
  25. Stabler
  26. Starr
  27. Van Brocklin
  28. Lamar Jackson
  29. Stafford
  30. Ken Anderson
  31. Moon
  32. Griese
  33. Aikman
  34. Cunningham
  35. Matt Ryan

I'd say every single player listed there is easily better than Eli, with Russ Wilson being the only question mark. You forgot Marino he's in the title of the thread.

The question is how many more? Slingin' Sammy Baugh? Josh Allen or Burrow yet? Romo was better. Phil Simms? Boomer Esiason? Rich Gannon? Carson Palmer? Cam Newton (based on peak)? Joe Flacco? Mark Brunell? Air McNair was definitely better. Bert Jones? Lamonica?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I don't hate Eli, but we need to call a spade a spade. If his 2 playoff runs were like 2012 Joe Flacco, then yes, you absolutely have a case for him to have a more desirable career than Marino; heck at that point he might have an argument for for top 10 QB ever. But in reality, 2007 and 2011 were closer to Jim Plunkett/Brad Johnson, albeit with 2 huge plays that turned the tides of both games. Regardless, the help he got from his defense plus some Patriots drop luck (Asante Samuel and Wes Welker) lined up for a storybook ending to both seasons that 9 times out of 10 do not happen.

It seems like you’re conflating “which would you rather experience” vs “who has a better legacy”. You see absolutely no case for wanting an NFL career where you’re a good NFL starter with two almost fantasy level postseason runs + two rings and two SB MVPs vs being a top 5-7 all time QB, but never winning a championship? I could understand wanting the latter over the former, but how can there be absolutely no case that two story book postseason runs can’t matter to someone more than an MVP award and a higher standing all time? I think maybe that would hold more water (to me, anyway) if Marino was regarded as the GOAT that just never won one, but that hasn’t been a valid discussion for some time now.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 8:33 AM, StatKing said:

Eli Manning did not win two rings. The New York Giants won two rings. I don't understand why people conflate team accomplishments with individual accomplishments. Marino literally changed the game, you can't say the same about Eli.

We aren't discussing who was the better player, we're discussing whose career we'd rather have. 

• Like 2

Give me two chips and the bag of cash. Eli may or may not make the hall of fame but he has celebrated to highest level of success and NFL player can, TWICE. Those memories and achievements are enough.

14 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

We aren't discussing who was the better player, we're discussing whose career we'd rather have. 

Yes, but for some people, they value their career based on how good they were at their job, not how many accolades they received. Process over product.

Some folks would rather be thoroughly mediocre, have their entire industry and peer group regard them as mediocre, yet have the media and public fawn over them.

Others would rather be one of the greatest to ever live, have their entire industry and peer group regard them as pathbreaking and amazing, yet have the media and public regard them as great but flawed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2024 at 6:37 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

Eh, fair.

1. Brady
  2. P Manning
  3. Mahomes
  4. Montana
  5. Rodgers
  6. Unitas
  7. Favre
  8. Brees
  9. Tarkenton
  10. Bradshaw
  11. Staubach
  12. Kelly
  13. Elway
  14. Graham
  15. Jurgensen
  16. Tittle
  17. Luckman
  18. Fouts
  19. Rivers
  20. Big ben
  21. Young
  22. Dawson
  23. Wilson
  24. Warner
  25. Stabler
  26. Starr
  27. Van Brocklin
  28. Lamar Jackson
  29. Stafford
  30. Ken Anderson
  31. Moon
  32. Griese
  33. Aikman
  34. Cunningham
  35. Matt Ryan

You can argue he's better/greater than 10ish, maybe 15 of those guys.

Of course it's to win rings. When a guy does everything he can to help his team win, and is consistently failed by his running game, coaching, and defense, I find it very hard to hold it against them. Eli's playoff defenses for those 2 runs played absolutely out of their minds. In 2007 they had a 16.25 PPG, in 2011 they had a 14 PPG, and combined they had a 15.125 PPG.

Out of all 25 teams to allow 16.25 PPG or fewer in the playoffs while playing more than 1 game in the playoffs since 2000, 10 of them won the Super Bowl; a 40% winning %. Out of the 127 teams to allow more than 16.25 PPG in the playoffs while playing more than one game in the playoffs, 14 of them won the Super Bowl; an 11% winning %. 

Out of all 10 teams to allow 14 PPG or fewer in the playoffs while playing more than one playoffs since 2000, 4 of them won the Super Bowl; a 40% winning %. Out of all 142 teams to allow more than 14 PPG in the playoffs wile playing more than 1 game in the playoffs since 2000, 14 of them won the Super Bowl; a 9.8% winning %. 

Eli's 2011 playoff defense allowed the t-4th fewest points ever out of all 20 4 game playoff runs in NFL history. his 2007 Playoff defense is tied for 8th.

Marino's playoff defense only allowed as few as 17 points 7 times out of 18; in which he had a 6-1 record. Conversely, his defense allowed 30 or more points 6 times, which increases to 9 if we decrease the amount to 27.  Eli's playoff defense in his SB runs allowed 17 or less points on 6 out of 8 occasions.

In addition, Eli has 0 playoff victories when his opponent scores = >21 points, which is less than noted LOSERS Marino (2), Philip Rivers (1), Jim Kelly (3), Aaron Rodgers (5), Colts Peyton (3), Matt Ryan (2).

Here are some things Eli Manning is not, or does not have:

• All-time clutch/playoff performer
  • A win over a playoff team who scored more than 20 points
  • A career more desirable than Dan Marino

Here are some things Eli Manning is, or does have:

• A solid, at times very good QB
  • 2 of the most memorable/best throws in playoff, let alone Super Bowl history
  • The benefactor of some of the greatest playoff defenses ever
  • A career and story that will put him in the HOF, deservingly so

No love for Sammy Baugh?

Better player? Marino. Its not even remotely close. 

Better career? Eli. He won two rings and made a crap load of money. 

I think Marino would gladly give up his place in the Mt. Rushmore of QBs to have Eli's Super Bowls and money. 

On 6/15/2024 at 8:33 AM, StatKing said:

This debate is who’s career you’d take for YOUR team. Not who had the better career. I’ll take the two rings for my team. 

• Like 1