McDermott/Beane Appreciation Thread

The BILLievers

These guys have really came through and changed the culture of the Bills in such a short time. Not only the culture but their talent evaluation is what I'm most excited and happy about; knowing we have (2) 1st rounds picks, (2) 2nd round picks, and (1) 3rd round pick in this years draft.. really gets you excited about the "rebuild" these guys are doing.

• Tre'Davious White - the bills picked up an extra 1st round pick in the process and arguably selected the best defender from the class. Tre White has been a top 7 CB all year long and is a huge hit looking back on draft day. 57 tackles, 4 INTs, 18 PD's, 1 TD, 2 FR, 1 FF - White has been the best CB we've had in a long time.
  • Jordan Poyer - pro bowl snub in my opinion. guy has been a class act on and off the field. 87 tackles, 3 INTs, 2 sacks, 12 PD's.. Bills allow least amount of passing touchdowns and a huge reason is Poyer. I remember 3-4 times this year that he's been responsible for a PD that was in the end zone/red zone. safety for the future.
  • Micah Hyde - made his first pro bowl with his first year as a bill. Much deserved and is a perfect safety in this defense. Him and Poyer make up one of the better safety duos in the NFL and both have been amazing. 70 tackles, 5 INTs, 12 PD
  • EJ Gaines - was one of the players we got back for Watkins and when on the field he has been very impressive. You can argue he's just as good as the rest of our secondary but has been hampered by injuries. Bills knew what kind of talent they were getting back from Watkins and the duo of White and Gaines has been an improvement over Gilmore/Darby.
  • Matt Milano - 5th round rookie out of BC and comes in looking like an above average starter as a rookie. He's already overtaken Humber for the starting LB role and is quickly becoming a very productive player. 1 INT, 2 FF, a couple stuffs.
  • Dion Dawkins - 2nd round rookie and looks like our LT of the future - rumblings are Glenn is going to get traded this offseason because Dawkins has done such a good job taking over that LT position. Another huge hit in the draft for the front office.
  • Deonte Thompson - not a great WR and a v underrated signing, but he essentially won us that colts game and has been a constant factor for us in the passing game.
  • Eddie Yarbrough - another under the radar signing - was a journeyman before and has come to Buffalo and played solid productive minutes.

McDermott / Beane have hit on almost every player they brought into Buffalo and it was only year 1. 

Honestly the biggest thing that impressed me with McDermott was managing to turn the season around after the disaster that was the Jets, Saints and Chargers games. I thought the season was over and that McDermott's bright start might have flamed out for good and lost the team but he did a great job getting everyone back on board. We're getting production from guys who quite frankly aren't very talented and hopefully as we add more talented we can have some really good seasons moving forward. Shipping out Dareus without any real plan or way to replace him is really the only thing that hasn't worked out in their favor. 

The improvement in the secondary is INCREDIBLE. We're ridiculously thing but our starting four is night and day from last season. 

49 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm gonna reserve my judgement of McD until after these next 2 monster games. I want to see a prepared team in New England Sunday.

I mean regardless of how the last 2 games play out, even if we finish 8-8, I think that's a very successful first year for McD. Given his roster and talent he's working with.

But yeah if we somehow beat the Pats my opinion would only go up obviously.

I'd love to keep Glenn at LT and just move Dawkins to RT.

But I do love what they have done with this team. Looking at the talent we seem to be a 5 win team but somehow we are in the playoffs hunt with two games remaining and already have 8 wins. McDermott will likely have a winning season in his first year coaching. Can't ask more than that from a rookie HC.

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm gonna reserve my judgement of McD until after these next 2 monster games. I want to see a prepared team in New England Sunday.

I feel like that is an extremely high standard in my opinion. He's at 8 wins already as a first year head coach and with a team that a lot of people expected be in the bottom five in the league. His debut season hasn't been perfect but he's overachieved what most of us were expecting by quite a bit. When's the last time we had a meaningful week 17 game? 2004?

27 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I feel like that is an extremely high standard in my opinion. He's at 8 wins already as a first year head coach and with a team that a lot of people expected be in the bottom five in the league. His debut season hasn't been perfect but he's overachieved what most of us were expecting by quite a bit. When's the last time we had a meaningful week 17 game? 2004?

I'll give Beane the love. I've seen alot of horrible coaching decisions, horrible clock management and some games this team wasn't prepared and didn't show up. 

We're also a couple bounces away from potentially being 6-8. So I'll pump the brakes before I start the McD lovefest. 

But McDermott was the one who drafted White, Milano, Dawkins, and im sure had his input in the trades/F.A. signings.

He has some things to work out in terms of sideline coaching but the players love playing for him, he actually coaches up the players, and he's changed the culture. It's all about hard work and accountability now; something they never had prior.

I think we're moving in the right direction, but I still have serious concerns with McBeane. We still aren't a very good team. We have a -42 point differential. Our offense has taken a step back and our front seven is among one of the worst in the league. Coming into the year I thought our secondary was going to be the weak link, but they have definitely stepped up. I will give McBeane credit for adding under the radar free agents and draft picks to rebuild the secondary.  We're 23rd in total defense and 16th in ppg. Offensively we're 29th in total offense and 23rd in ppg. Those numbers don't inspire me.

I could actually see us taking a step back in the win column next year, but actually being a better team than this year. A lot of things have gone right. We've won most of the close games and are lucky this is a down year in the AFC. We will likely have a tougher schedule next year. I see us being similar to the Dolphins. Last year everything setup nicely for Miami, but this year they've taken a step back. I think years 3 and 4 is when we will really see vast improvement. We have a ton of high draft picks and have financial flexibility for the coming years. If McBeane can add talent in the draft and continue to find value in free agency then I think we will be a serious contender in a few years.

We still however have a glaring need of a franchise QB. Until we find the answer we will be an average team in the 7-9 win range. I have seen an attitude and culture change that I've haven't seen in years, but I am going to hold off judgment until the team actually starts producing consistently on the field. As of right now I believe we're fools gold, but I really hope I am wrong.

18 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'll give Beane the love. I've seen alot of horrible coaching decisions, horrible clock management and some games this team wasn't prepared and didn't show up. 

We're also a couple bounces away from potentially being 6-8. So I'll pump the brakes before I start the McD lovefest. 

Only thing Beane did was make trades. McDermott and Whaley put this team together with the draft and free agent signings. Only thing that Beane should get credit for is adding draft picks to a good team and adding Kelvin Benjamin.

You say we are a couple bounces away from being 6-8 but I could say the same thing the other way. We were a couple bounces away from being 10-4. I mean just look at the Jones drop against Carolina... Everything has a way of averaging themselves out.

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Only thing Beane did was make trades. McDermott and Whaley put this team together with the draft and free agent signings. Only thing that Beane should get credit for is adding draft picks to a good team and adding Kelvin Benjamin.

You say we are a couple bounces away from being 6-8 but I could say the same thing the other way. We were a couple bounces away from being 10-4. I mean just look at the Jones drop against Carolina... Everything has a way of averaging themselves out.

Jones did have a potential game winning drop, but you’re forgetting that Funchess dropped a TD also.

3 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Jones did have a potential game winning drop, but you’re forgetting that Funchess dropped a TD also.

A win is a win, every team could go back and pick out games they "should've" won or lost.

McD and Beane had a great 1st year regardless how we finish. They have shown in a small window that they are good talent evaluators (White, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Gaines, etc) so once we start our full re-build I'll trust them.

We're either going to draft a 1st round QB or sign a good FA (Cousins), then fill up every other position in FA and the draft. I personally want Baker Mayfield in the draft because I think he's a gamer and a winner but we'll see who McDermott/Beane are high on.

3 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

A win is a win, every team could go back and pick out games they "should've" won or lost.

McD and Beane had a great 1st year regardless how we finish. They have shown in a small window that they are good talent evaluators (White, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Gaines, etc) so once we start our full re-build I'll trust them.

We're either going to draft a 1st round QB or sign a good FA (Cousins), then fill up every other position in FA and the draft. I personally want Baker Mayfield in the draft because I think he's a gamer and a winner but we'll see who McDermott/Beane are high on.

You’re just assuming that if we sign a FA QB or draft one early that they’re going to be a franchise changing QB? I will have to see it to believe it.

1 hour ago, Billsfaninptown said:

You’re just assuming that if we sign a FA QB or draft one early that they’re going to be a franchise changing QB? I will have to see it to believe it.

Oh no doubt me too. But Tyrod isn't the answer and I trust McDermott/Beane more than Rex/Whaley, etc. making this decision. We also have the fire power to get any QB in the draft that we like so if this front office thinks their guy is here, go get him.

5 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

And these trades are major reason for our success. Let's not just go on a limb and suggest Whaley was a major person last draft. He wasn't 

Archived