Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

17 hours ago, pwny said:

Definitely. Especially for the kids. They have 4, right? 

At least 3 for sure.  But the initial court document filed by Ben in Tennessee is alleging "inappropriate marital conduct" by Juliana, which does not necessarily give hope on that front. 

5 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Almost forgot with my vacation, who are we looking at drafting?

The smart bet is on the college bat the FO likes the most.  Here are some guys that have been mocked around the Cubs' range:

- Michael Busch - UNC - LF/1B

- Braden Shewmake - A&M - SS

- Logan Davidson - Clemson - SS

- Greg Jones - UNC Wilmington - SS/CF

- Kody Hoese - Tulane - 3B

- Will Wilson - NC State - 2B

- Kameron Misner - Missouri - OF (I actually haven't seen him mocked as low as the Cubs, but he's been bad in SEC play and his stock is dropping hard)

Of course, they could be way ahead of the rest of the scouting community on a player and pull the trigger on them as well.  They did that with Nico Hoerner last year.  He'd probably be a top 10 pick right now if the draft was redone and the Cubs "reached" for him at 24 last year (was generally ranked around the 50th best prospect predraft). 

I personally would really love to see Greg Jones be brought into the system, assuming the powers that be are sold that he will continue to make contact as a pro.  He's a switch-hitter with great bat speed from both sides and true 80 grade speed.  That would be fun to add.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

If were gonna keep Russell on the team, I'd prefer he get most of the starts at 2B.

He's quite easily the best current option at 2B, performance-wise.  I just really don't like seeing him in a Cubs uniform. 

A trade of Russell to the Marlins for Nick Anderson and some IFA money would be just fine.   

Keep Russell, he's needed and hasn't hit too badly. And I don't give a crap about whether people like him in a Cub uniform. He is currently so deal with it and get over it.

And I'm not trading him for ******* Nick Anderson. Give me a break.

Edited by bootsy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bootsy said:

Keep Russell, he's needed and hasn't hit too badly. And I don't give a crap about whether people like him in a Cub uniform. He is currently so deal with it and get over it.

And I'm not trading him for ******* Nick Anderson. Give me a break.

1.  No, Russell isn't "needed".  Zobrist will theoretically be back at some point and is a better bet at 2B for this year.  Nico Hoerner will be given every shot to win the starting 2B job in ST next year, and likely has the inside track.  He was such a ridiculously good pick that late in the 1st round last year.

2.  I'm not trying to get your approval, regarding my dislike of Russell on this team.

3.  I have these things called principles.  Seeing Russell, a woman-beater and general prick (paid the mother of one of his children $600 in quarters for child support, ffs), who has expressed no real remorse through the entire process, play on my favorite baseball team will never be something I will "deal with" or "get over".  It doesn't mean I won't cheer for the team.  But do I get the same enjoyment from a win in which Russell played some part in?  No, I do not.  As such, I greatly desire the team to deal him.

4.  ******* Nick Anderson is a really good reliever.  I shouldn't have to explain this in 2019, but look past the ERA.  Dude has a 38:8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.  He throws a 96 mph 4 seamer with a really good slider, and would instantly be a huge boost to the weakest part of this team.  His ERA is bloated due to a fluky HR/FB rate of 30.8%, or about 3 times higher than what you would expect, as well as bad luck on balls in play (.417 babip against).  xFIP certainly isn't perfect, and has its flaws, but Anderson's is currently 1.85.  That's really, really good. He has 6 years of team control, and because he's 28 years old already, it's possible the Marlins would deal him.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

He's quite easily the best current option at 2B, performance-wise.  I just really don't like seeing him in a Cubs uniform. 

A trade of Russell to the Marlins for Nick Anderson and some IFA money would be just fine.   

I agree with the bolded. But if were gonna keep him, I'd rather see him playing then Zobrist. And maybe Bote too. 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, hrubes20 said:

This bullpen is going to make an alcoholic out of me.  That month of them being reliable was fun while it lasted, but we all knew the true talent level wasn't that good.

Bullpen just blew another lead.  DRINK!  May as well at least make a fun drinking game out of it.