Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 5/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, bootsy said:

Keep Russell, he's needed and hasn't hit too badly. And I don't give a crap about whether people like him in a Cub uniform. He is currently so deal with it and get over it.

And I'm not trading him for ******* Nick Anderson. Give me a break.

You telling us to deal with and get over the fact that he beat his wife and shows no remorse for it because he can hit a baseball is really gross, dude. 

5 hours ago, pwny said:

81 wRC+ and 79 OPS+ since the start of 2017. Not sure how his baseball prowess even justifies him being on the team without taking into account his remorseless wife beating. 

Yeah, he's also elite defensively though. 

I personally don't want him in the organization, but if were gonna keep him, might as well play him then. 

I'd love to trade him, but his stock obviously isn't at it's highest. 

On 5/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, hrubes20 said:

1.  No, Russell isn't "needed".  Zobrist will theoretically be back at some point and is a better bet at 2B for this year.  Nico Hoerner will be given every shot to win the starting 2B job in ST next year, and likely has the inside track.  He was such a ridiculously good pick that late in the 1st round last year.

2.  I'm not trying to get your approval, regarding my dislike of Russell on this team.

3.  I have these things called principles.  Seeing Russell, a woman-beater and general prick (paid the mother of one of his children $600 in quarters for child support, ffs), who has expressed no real remorse through the entire process, play on my favorite baseball team will never be something I will "deal with" or "get over".  It doesn't mean I won't cheer for the team.  But do I get the same enjoyment from a win in which Russell played some part in?  No, I do not.  As such, I greatly desire the team to deal him.

4.  ******* Nick Anderson is a really good reliever.  I shouldn't have to explain this in 2019, but look past the ERA.  Dude has a 38:8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.  He throws a 96 mph 4 seamer with a really good slider, and would instantly be a huge boost to the weakest part of this team.  His ERA is bloated due to a fluky HR/FB rate of 30.8%, or about 3 times higher than what you would expect, as well as bad luck on balls in play (.417 babip against).  xFIP certainly isn't perfect, and has its flaws, but Anderson's is currently 1.85.  That's really, really good. He has 6 years of team control, and because he's 28 years old already, it's possible the Marlins would deal him.  

Yeah Russell is very much needed right now with no one left to play 2b besides Descalso. And Zobrist is not a guarantee to come back and if he does he's going to need to get his timing back so Russell is needed more than ever right now. And I don't want trade him for Nick Anderson, **** Anderson, Rick Anderson any other ******* Anderson. Get outta here with this nonsense.

2 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Why do the freaking Reds have our number this year?

They have a +32 run differential on the season, 4th best in the NL and 10th best in the Majors. They've been playing much better than their record indicates. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Jim effing Adduci batting 5th is an option for a team with championship aspirations?  I get that the KB/Heyward collision made today's lineup extremely short-handed, but Jim Adduci?  And to hit him 5th?  SMDH.

I have no idea who is he. And like you said, 5th? Really?

On 5/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, pwny said:

81 wRC+ and 79 OPS+ since the start of 2017. Not sure how his baseball prowess even justifies him being on the team without taking into account his remorseless wife beating. 

It's like Russell heard us bitching about him.  Since then, he's 6 for 12 with 2 bombs.  

8 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Hes not really wrong.  I get it that some people will never forgive him for what he did, and maybe I'm in that group.  But what else is he supposed to say/feel?  

He literally walked back the statement the next day after the Cubs PR team got ahold of him. Then he said “The reaction to me I feel like I have to respect that. My actions are what they are, and I have to be responsible for them.  I have nothing but respect for the fans. It’s a goal to get the respect of Cubs fans back, so having said that it’s just out of respect for them. I have nothing but respect for them. I just wish that it could be on different terms, you know? I’m just continuing to get better and know (the reaction is) not always going to be good.”

Maybe he could have said that at first on his own instead of needing to monotonely repeat what the Cubs PR told him to say after he already made an *** of himself.