Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

Monty will always have a place in Cubs lore for being the pitcher on the biggest play in Cubs history. Best of luck to him, hope he gets everything straightened out and becomes the starting pitcher he wants to be. 

16 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

What would you guys like to do at the deadline? A left hand reliever would be nice. I also think Alex Gordon would be a great fit on this team. 

1.  Trade Addison Russell for anything

2.  Find an offensive upgrade at CF.  Almora just isn't good offensively and Heyward should stay in RF.  Bote/Garcia can man 2B until we hopefully get Zobrist back.

3.  Get the LH reliever that you mentioned.  

15 hours ago, pwny said:

Monty will always have a place in Cubs lore for being the pitcher on the biggest play in Cubs history. Best of luck to him, hope he gets everything straightened out and becomes the starting pitcher he wants to be. 

Agreed.  Wish him nothing but the best, but he just isn't in the plans for this team anymore.  He has been unusable this year out of the bullpen, and he's been bypassed by Alzolay, Chatwood, and probably Colin Rea as the fill-in starters.  

Maldonado is the terrific defensive vet C that this front office loves to acquire.  I seem to recall us carrying 3 catchers in 2016.  That season turned out alright.  But I suppose it could very easily just mean that Willy gets more starts in LF or that Caratini is going to be dealt.

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

1.  Trade Addison Russell for anything

2.  Find an offensive upgrade at CF.  Almora just isn't good offensively and Heyward should stay in RF.  Bote/Garcia can man 2B until we hopefully get Zobrist back.

3.  Get the LH reliever that you mentioned.  

Agreed.  Wish him nothing but the best, but he just isn't in the plans for this team anymore.  He has been unusable this year out of the bullpen, and he's been bypassed by Alzolay, Chatwood, and probably Colin Rea as the fill-in starters.  

Maldonado is the terrific defensive vet C that this front office loves to acquire.  I seem to recall us carrying 3 catchers in 2016.  That season turned out alright.  But I suppose it could very easily just mean that Willy gets more starts in LF or that Caratini is going to be dealt.

What do you think of Alex Gordon? I think he'd be a great fit, rental player, plays good defense and can hit. 

Then Almora could be a good defense replacement late in games by putting Gordon in LF. Not sure what other CF's are available or what it'd cost to get him.

And I was a big Monty supporter, wish we would have traded him when his stock was higher or I preferably would have kept him. Just weird to see him traded when his stock was basically the lowest it's been since he was here. 

15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

What do you think of Alex Gordon? I think he'd be a great fit, rental player, plays good defense and can hit. 

Then Almora could be a good defense replacement late in games by putting Gordon in LF. Not sure what other CF's are available or what it'd cost to get him.

And I was a big Monty supporter, wish we would have traded him when his stock was higher or I preferably would have kept him. Just weird to see him traded when his stock was basically the lowest it's been since he was here. 

I don't see a Gordon acquisition as helping all that much.  He's a better fielder than Schwarber, but the overall bat is very similar.  If he could play a solid CF, then sign me up.  But another LFer isn't high on the priority list.  Even moreso if they intend on keeping 3 catchers for awhile and Willy has to play a fair number of games out there.

I think Montgomery was dealt mostly for his roster spot.  He had no options left and has been completely horrific as a reliever this year.  Can't afford to keep a guy on the roster that isn't going to play (which begs the question about why Descalso is still on the team).  

Edited by hrubes20

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't see a Gordon acquisition as helping all that much.  He's a better fielder than Schwarber, but the overall bat is very similar.  If he could play a solid CF, then sign me up.  But another LFer isn't high on the priority list.  Even moreso if they intend on keeping 3 catchers for awhile and Willy has to play a fair number of games out there.

I think Montgomery was dealt mostly for his roster spot.  He had no options left and has been completely horrific as a reliever this year.  Can't afford to keep a guy on the roster that isn't going to play (which begs the question about why Descalso is still on the team).  

My bad, I thought he was playing more CF this year, turns out he hasn't played there at all. 

Not sure who is really out there at CF. 

20 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

My bad, I thought he was playing more CF this year, turns out he hasn't played there at all. 

Not sure who is really out there at CF. 

Pretty much nobody, unfortunately.  Haniger is hurt, otherwise he may be an option (albeit a costly one in terms of trade capital).  Starling Marte may be an option, but you would be paying a division-rival tax.  I'm sure Dex could be had from the Cards, but he's not a good bet going forward and would command a fairly large salary.  

16 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Castellanos? 

I don't know. It'd send Heyward to CF I'm guessing where he's not nearly as good imo. Or I guess Almora would only play against lefties? 

I'd be more for it if Castellanos wasn't terrible defensively. 

Yeah, the glove is not good at all.  But he absolutely mashes LHPs, which is where we need a ton of help these days.  As long as the price is right, I would welcome the addition with open arms.  

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Strop is done, and it makes me sad.  Last night HAS to finally be enough for Joe to stop using him in the 8th inning.  Right? 

Joe is too loyal to 'his guys'. Carl Edwards Jr has cost me some money this year in games I have bet on the cubs. Yet joe kept putting him out there, when it was clear he didn't have it. 

16 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

18-28 on the road so far this year. OOF

Yeah, it's rather ridiculous.  A bunch of the losses were of the unlucky kind, but that doesn't matter in the standings.  

16 hours ago, N4L said:

Joe is too loyal to 'his guys'. Carl Edwards Jr has cost me some money this year in games I have bet on the cubs. Yet joe kept putting him out there, when it was clear he didn't have it. 

Very much so.  He's known as a player's manager and is living up to that billing so far this year.  It drives me absolutely nuts sometimes.

13 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I sure hope so. Put Cishek in that role. 

Alternate Cishek and Kintzler as the 8th inning guys.  It would really be a good time for the corpse of Brandon Morrow to come to life and give us his 40 innings that he manages each year.