Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

We’re only going to make the playoffs because the NL is garbage this year.

The NL is not garbage. There are 2 really bad teams in the NL: Marlins and Pirates vs. the AL who has like record level horrible teams. The NL has a lot more balance in it but the NL isn't garbage.  

19 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I feel like this is the beginning of the end for Lester. I wouldn't want him anywhere near a playoff start at this point unless Hamels can't figure it out either. 

Even so, I'd rather have Hendricks/Q/Darvish. 

I fully agree and we all knew it had to happen at some point.  He's absolutely been worth his contract and then some for the Cubs, but he's a BOR starter going forward.

Nico Hoerner is apparently getting the call up, which shows you how desparate the Cubs are right now after the injuries to Javy, Russell, and Dixon Machado (AAA player that was signed for SS depth).  

13 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Did Lester have a terrible July/August last year too though? 

And if we get the 2nd WC I have no clue who'd I want out there right now.

The 2nd WC spot is essentially a non-playoff spot for this team.  The game would be on the road, and they are abysmal on the road.  They need to overtake either the Cards or the Nats in order to have any kind of chance.

With all the injuries to their 2-5 hitters, I'm not sure they have it in them to make up the ground.  Javy is out for the rest of the regular season with the fractured thumb.  KB has been garbage since he tweaked his knee awhile ago (76 wRC+ since he hurt it July 26th) and just got a cortisone shot in there yesterday, I believe.  Rizzo has also been garbage at the place since his most recent back flare-up (66 wRC+).  Willy is only playing every third game in what I am assuming is an effort to take it easy on his hammy, after missing more than a month.  Castellanos and Schwarber are doing their best to keep the offense afloat, but it's definitely an uphill climb.  I'm not confident unless Bryzzo gets healthy and productive.

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

The 2nd WC spot is essentially a non-playoff spot for this team.  The game would be on the road, and they are abysmal on the road.  They need to overtake either the Cards or the Nats in order to have any kind of chance.

With all the injuries to their 2-5 hitters, I'm not sure they have it in them to make up the ground.  Javy is out for the rest of the regular season with the fractured thumb.  KB has been garbage since he tweaked his knee awhile ago (76 wRC+ since he hurt it July 26th) and just got a cortisone shot in there yesterday, I believe.  Rizzo has also been garbage at the place since his most recent back flare-up (66 wRC+).  Willy is only playing every third game in what I am assuming is an effort to take it easy on his hammy, after missing more than a month.  Castellanos and Schwarber are doing their best to keep the offense afloat, but it's definitely an uphill climb.  I'm not confident unless Bryzzo gets healthy and productive.

I know it's not ideal, but anything can happen in a WC game. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Yes

also kinda glad we didn’t make it this year

I'm never happy with a season that ends in no playoffs, and this team was especially frustrating because they were far and away the most individually talented in the division.  But we all know that baseball is much more than that.  

The silver lining here is that by missing the playoffs, the FO has no other choice but to make big changes to shake the roster up.  It's needed and is honestly something that should have been done last year.  It sucks, but I think KB gets dealt.  Schwarber maybe as well, although his last 2 months have been exactly what we thought he would end up being (160 wRC+ in 200 PAs).  Gonna be interesting, that's for sure.