Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 2/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, CBears019 said:

I am officially a cubs season ticket holder...!(?)

i feel like i should be more excited lol

I actually opted to not get them this time around.  I was just too pissed at the Ricketts.  The fact that I don't live in Chicago also played a role.  I don't want to have to struggle to sell the ones I can't use.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I actually opted to not get them this time around.  I was just too pissed at the Ricketts.  The fact that I don't live in Chicago also played a role.  I don't want to have to struggle to sell the ones I can't use.

Yeah initially i had like 3 or 4 other couple agreeing to go in on it with my wife and i.  When the time came only one couple was left willing to chip in.  So needless to say it’s expensive and I’m only in the 300 level.

I was torn.  I didn’t want to pass up this opportunity since i waited 10 years to get here.  We’ll see how it goes this year then reevaluate things at the end.

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Yeah initially i had like 3 or 4 other couple agreeing to go in on it with my wife and i.  When the time came only one couple was left willing to chip in.  So needless to say it’s expensive and I’m only in the 300 level.

I was torn.  I didn’t want to pass up this opportunity since i waited 10 years to get here.  We’ll see how it goes this year then reevaluate things at the end.

Congrats, and nothing wrong with the 300s. It’s my favorite spot to sit lol 

• 4 weeks later...

Any other season ticket holders here?  Just curious if you heard anything about if they’ll refund us for games not played.  

I got an email saying that the second installment won’t be charged to my card until this is figured out, which makes sense.  But that email had a line in it like “as you know, your first payment is nonrefundable”. Which i call BS on if they’re not playing games.  But this is obviously unprecedented, so i don’t expect any firm answer for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, CBears019 said:

Any other season ticket holders here?  Just curious if you heard anything about if they’ll refund us for games not played.  

I got an email saying that the second installment won’t be charged to my card until this is figured out, which makes sense.  But that email had a line in it like “as you know, your first payment is nonrefundable”. Which i call BS on if they’re not playing games.  But this is obviously unprecedented, so i don’t expect any firm answer for a while.

I opted against it.  FWIW, MLB.tv refunded my money on the yearly subscription, so that was a nice bonus.  

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Y’all remember Vitters and Jackson? Thought they were the next big thing Lolol 

Vitters hurt.  I was so certain that pretty swing of his was going to result in multiple AS game appearances.  I didn't care for Jackson when he was picked.  

I am excited to see how Dan Kantrovitz (new VP of scouting) will run this shortened draft this year.  

Final draft results:

1.  Ed Howard, SS - High School

2.  Burl Carraway, LHP - Dallas Baptist University

3.  Jordan Nwogu, OF - University of Michigan

4.  Luke Little, LHP - San Jacinto College (JuCo)

5.  Koen Moreno, RHP - High School

This is the first draft I can remember where I have no strong reactions either way towards the draft class as a whole.

Howard was a really good pick.  Chicago kid with a strong all-around game and somewhat of a rarity in that he's a high floor prep pick.  There is certainly a chance he "Almoras" and doesn't really develop with the bat, but he does have offensive ceiling with plus bat speed.  He's also much faster than Almora was, so he could actually provide value on the basepaths.  I see a Barry Larkin comp thrown around with Howard, and I get skittish about that one, since Addison Russell had those same comps early on.  Interestingly enough, Larkin has actually coached Howard and gave him the nickname "Silk".  

I don't love the Carraway pick.  Yes, he's the best pure reliever in the draft and he boasts a pair of plus pitches in his fastball (upper 90's) and a curve, but he just doesn't throw enough strikes.  You can get away with that in college, but pro hitters will simply lay off the filth.  Ask Dillon Maples.  If he can throw strikes, he can be a really good back-end reliever, but that's a big if.

Nwogu is an interesting one.  He's been highly productive in college and is tooled up (other than arm, which is poor and will limit him to LF), but he has a funky swing.  Will the Cubs just trot him out there and let him rip, or will they try to remake that ugly swing?  This dude is built like a LB.  The more I think about this one, I like it.  Big upside, but obviously big bust potential.  Given the current state of the farm (lack of impact, plenty of role players), I like that they are taking the shot down in the 3rd round.

Little is "Mr. 105".  He posted a workout on twitter during quarantine where he was routinely hitting 100-102, and then popped a 105.  He's a monster at 6'8".  So why was plus plus velocity sitting there in the 4th? He has no idea where it's going; his secondaries are still developing; and he's probably only a reliever.  But like the Nwogu pick, I like this.  Big time upside here in the 4th round with the obvious big time bust potential caveats.

I actually had not seen much on Moreno before he was drafted, but he was one of Baseball America's favorite sleepers.  Basically they said he would have been a top 3 round guy if he had a chance to play in front of scouts this year.  He's a skinny 6'2" 170 lb guy who currently throws in the low 90's, with a developing breaking ball and a changeup that can be plus.  I'm on board with this type of a pick.  

58 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I know nothing about prospects until they’re in the system and I read up on them. Thanks for the info! 

You bet.  I absolutely love the minor leagues and the mlb draft, but I've been too busy the past few years to really delve into these draft prospects as much as I used to.  The stay-at-home orders gave me a bit more time than I am used to.  

While on this topic, even more reason to get excited as Cubs fans:

Cristian Hernandez is a tippy-top Dominican SS that the Cubs will be signing to a team-record deal.  He's the best IFA to some and he's right at the top for all the others.  Has enormous offensive potential and a legit chance to stay at the position.  His coaches have nicknamed him A-Rod.  

• 1 month later...