Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. Now we just need to keep moving forward. Next up, maybe Jon Lester can come out and say that he hates the Cardinals and unaffordable health insurance.

Then Rizzo can make a quick plug for Planned Parenthood and that St. Louis style pizza is the worst he's ever had.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pwny said:

From what little I know of him, this seems like a decent addition to the middle innings. 

He's a solid add for sure, especially on such a small deal.  Haven't seen the numbers on the 2020 mutual option yet.  His 2018 is a bit funky, as his velo was way down the first half with the O's.  After being dealt, he found his velocity again and the numbers improved.  Pretty similar to Cole Hamels with the Cubs last year.  The bullpen currently sits at:

Morrow (On DL to start year)

Strop

Edwards

Cishek

Brach

Montgomery

Duensing

Kintzler

Chatwood/Maples/Rosario/Clarkin/Norwood/Ryan for the last spot

I want to see Chatwood and one of Duensing/Kintzler packaged together with a prospect or two to open up some funds.  

On 1/25/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lions017 said:

Any hope of Kintzler being good for us, or is he going to be like Adam Warren? 

"Good" is a pretty big stretch at this point.  "Serviceable" and "Not cringeworthy" are possible outcomes though.  Just an absolute head-scratcher as to why he was even brought in last deadline.

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

"Good" is a pretty big stretch at this point.  "Serviceable" and "Not cringeworthy" are possible outcomes though.  Just an absolute head-scratcher as to why he was even brought in last deadline.

I liked the move at the time. He had been a pretty solid relieved for the last three years or so, and wasn't doing poorly in Washington. The only surprising part was the fact that he had a player option. 

19 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I liked the move at the time. He had been a pretty solid relieved for the last three years or so, and wasn't doing poorly in Washington. The only surprising part was the fact that he had a player option. 

His ERAs were fine, but I don't trust relievers that don't miss bats.  And then to have to pay him $5 million this year when the market for relievers has been extremely team friendly the past few years?  Not a smart move.  Honestly, as much as I want to rag on the Ricketts if we don't get Harper or Machado (and I still will), the FO probably deserves a fair bit of blame as well.  Some really bad deals on the books right now.