Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

On 10/21/2017 at 6:39 PM, CBears019 said:

Yeah that caught me by surprise.  I know the bullpen was horrendous, but I didn’t expect him to take the fall for this.

He was only let go so Joe can hire his bosom buddy in Jim Hickey, who happens to be a really good pitching coach himself. Bosio did a ridiculously good job with Arrieta, Rondon, and a few other guys early on, but hasn’t had as much success of late. It’s not as unbelievable as it would have been 2 years ago.

Edited by hrubes20

• 2 weeks later...

Blurbs coming from Theo seem to indicate the team will be trading for one SP and buying another via FA.  The farm is thin after the deadline deals (Justin Wilson you better bounce back this year) so a big league player is likely getting dealt.  I would have to assume Happ is the one that's gone, given that he has the most team control left for an acquiring team; he is a bit redundant on the Cubs; and that he is coming off a solid debut season.  Or at least I would assume Happ is the one that the FO wants to trade.  Teams will obviously be asking for Javy, like they always do, and likely Addy in the hopes of buying low.  

• 2 weeks later...

So who do you guys think will be in the rotation? Lester, Hendricks, and Quintana are locked in. 

I think Arrieta is going to be too pricey so he's gone. I'm hoping we can sign Cobb like some rumors suggest, but we would still need another SP. 

Maybe we could trade for another SP, but I'm not sure who's on the market or what we'd have to give up. 

18 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

So who do you guys think will be in the rotation? Lester, Hendricks, and Quintana are locked in. 

I think Arrieta is going to be too pricey so he's gone. I'm hoping we can sign Cobb like some rumors suggest, but we would still need another SP. 

Maybe we could trade for another SP, but I'm not sure who's on the market or what we'd have to give up. 

Cobb to the Cubs seems like as much a certainty as anything can be in free agency.  He gushed about the Cubs and their coaches.  Cubs' FO and coaches gushed about him.  Cobb already said he'd take less money to go to a winner.  Cubs will have extra draft picks from Arrieta/Davis so they can stand to lose the draft pick from signing him.  Etc.  

The rumblings I've heard have the Cubs pushing hard to get the last starter via trade; involving one of the MLB position players (Happ/Almora/Javy/Russell/Meatball).  No idea if they have made any traction on these efforts though.  Ideally, they can convince Ohtani to sign, but I'm not getting my hopes up there.

They seem like good bets to buy a few FA relievers as well.  I want them to completely avoid Wade Davis on anything over a 2 year deal.  I don't trust his arm to stay healthy, and he was actually kind of iffy down the stretch this past year as it is.  If a team signs him to a 4 year deal, they will really regret it.  I really like Mike Minor and Jake McGee.  Brandon Morrow would be a great signing as well, as long as it isn't a long deal.  Don't trust his health, either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Cobb to the Cubs seems like as much a certainty as anything can be in free agency.  He gushed about the Cubs and their coaches.  Cubs' FO and coaches gushed about him.  Cobb already said he'd take less money to go to a winner.  Cubs will have extra draft picks from Arrieta/Davis so they can stand to lose the draft pick from signing him.  Etc.  

The rumblings I've heard have the Cubs pushing hard to get the last starter via trade; involving one of the MLB position players (Happ/Almora/Javy/Russell/Meatball).  No idea if they have made any traction on these efforts though.  Ideally, they can convince Ohtani to sign, but I'm not getting my hopes up there.

They seem like good bets to buy a few FA relievers as well.  I want them to completely avoid Wade Davis on anything over a 2 year deal.  I don't trust his arm to stay healthy, and he was actually kind of iffy down the stretch this past year as it is.  If a team signs him to a 4 year deal, they will really regret it.  I really like Mike Minor and Jake McGee.  Brandon Morrow would be a great signing as well, as long as it isn't a long deal.  Don't trust his health, either.

Hoping that we could move Happ for someone decent. Really don't wanna trade Almora.

And I agree on Davis, might be willing to go 3 years, but definitely not 4. 

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

With Teeth saying he wants to play another year, you think he might come back on a small deal @hrubes20?

Arrested Development No GIF

I need to not see him in a Cubs uniform anymore.  I legitimately would rather see Tseng take the ball every 5th time out than watch Lackey and his punchable face give up HR after HR.

11 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Hoping that we could move Happ for someone decent. Really don't wanna trade Almora.

And I agree on Davis, might be willing to go 3 years, but definitely not 4. 

You have to imagine that he would be.  Probably as a big part of a package for a MOR starter.  Not even sure who would be available these days, but that's what the next few months of the hot stove are for.  Absolutely agree on Almora.  I really like what he showed with the bat down the stretch, even if most of the damage came against LHPs.  I think he can definitely improve against RHPs and be a 3+ Win CF fairly easily.  His great defense in CF gives the bat a lot of wiggle room.

11 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Cobb is a name I've heard thrown around, and we can easily find another guy.

Not too many great SP's in free agency. Arrieta, Darvish, and Ohtani. 

After those 3 and Cobb, it gets kinda sketchy to me.

I guess we could try like Cashner, Hellickson, or Tillman on a short term contract. Tseng too.