Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

11 hours ago, iPwn said:

Just saw the Brewers lost again. 4 game skid during our 6 game win streak has us just 1.5 games back after going out of the break 5.5 back.

Yeah, it's about as good of a start to the 2nd half as you could ask for.  Only thing better would be the rest of the division losing a bunch as well.  

On 7/18/2017 at 11:27 AM, Breesus mode said:

So its a junk pitch he'll toss every once and a while to mess with hitters.

I wouldn't be so sure about that

I was WAY off.  Apparently his slider has taken leaps this year, which is a big reason why he has broken out.  It's more of a slurve, but it's definitely different than his curve, which is of the 12-6 variety.  Apparently both breaking pitches have been clocked over 3000 RPMs, which is insane.  Only a handful of big leaguers have ONE pitch over 3000 RPMs.

Also, BA came out with their midseason top 10 for the Cubs.  

1. Victor Caratini

2. Thomas Hatch

3. Jose Albertos

4. Adbert Alzolay

5. Isaac Paredes

6. Brendon Little

7. Alex Lange

8. Aramis Ademan

9. Jeimer Candelario

10. Oscar de la Cruz

I don't agree.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I was WAY off.  Apparently his slider has taken leaps this year, which is a big reason why he has broken out.  It's more of a slurve, but it's definitely different than his curve, which is of the 12-6 variety.  Apparently both breaking pitches have been clocked over 3000 RPMs, which is insane.  Only a handful of big leaguers have ONE pitch over 3000 RPMs.

That pitch is disgusting.

51 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Also, BA came out with their midseason top 10 for the Cubs.  

1. Victor Caratini

2. Thomas Hatch

3. Jose Albertos

4. Adbert Alzolay

5. Isaac Paredes

6. Brendon Little

7. Alex Lange

8. Aramis Ademan

9. Jeimer Candelario

10. Oscar de la Cruz

I don't agree.

How would you have it?

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

How would you have it?

Caratini and Albertos drop down a bit; Candelario gets bumped up a bit.  De La Cruz gets taken off altogether due to his inability to stay healthy.  I do really like the Ademan and Paredes rankings though.  

Ademan (age 18 at SS A ball) - .287/.357/.468, 129 wRC+, 9.2% BB, 18.4% K, .333 BABIP, all with good SS defense

Paredes (age 18 at full season A ball) - .266/.349/.412, 117 wRC+, 8,4% BB, 14.5% K, .296 BABIP, with better than expected D at SS.  However, he's been an animal since it heated up.  I remember reading an interview from McLeod about Paredes before the year and he said that he may struggle early on when the temperature was cold this  year (first year playing outside of Mexico and only 18) but that he had high hopes for him.  Over the past 2 months, he's gone .281/.386/.449, 140 wRC+, 10.6% BB, 16.1% K, .321 BABIP.  That's incredible for an 18 year old playing in full season ball in his debut.  For reference, Gleyber Torres hit .293/.353/.386 at the same level and for the same team, despite being half a year older.  

12 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Holy carp that's a good pitch.

I'm actually slightly concerned with how good the Pirates are playing.  They are as hot as the Cubs.  It wouldn't shock me at all if it actually came down to the Cubs and Pirates for the NL Central title down the stretch.

I keep seeing blurbs about the Cubs really trying for Britton.  That makes all the sense in the world (he's under control for next year, so could take over for Davis) but the cost is likely too prohibitive.  

Man, they are really squaring up Martinez today.  Jake has looked really good today as well, although he hasn't been efficient.  Even a league average LF catches Fowler's double and that 2nd run doesn't score.  And of course Randal freaking Grichuk hits a HR against the Cubs.  

14 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Man, they are really squaring up Martinez today.  Jake has looked really good today as well, although he hasn't been efficient.  Even a league average LF catches Fowler's double and that 2nd run doesn't score.  And of course Randal freaking Grichuk hits a HR against the Cubs.  

Grichuk inexplicably owns us.